Ticket auction

The other Bellboy

It would be flip chart heaven to find oneself in a meeting room like that. Could possibly get the people attending to do a bit of Blue Sky Thinking before lunch and a bit of Adding Value after lunch. Maybe have to Sunset some ideas just so that they can go home early too.

This is a brilliant auction item. I want. I want.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For Glaso fans it would be like having a chance at winning a 'golden ticket' to the Willy Wonka factory.

many years ago was working at Glastonbury in the guest tent bar and was called over as a server had a usual problem.

At first I thought it was a wind up - he had four people at the bar all claiming to have a ' Golden ticket ' 

they claimed it allowed them # Unlimited free drinks # - so I got them to produce their tickets ' they were not golden ' 

sat them down as this was going to take time - they all had entered a competition sponsored by a drinks company - lets say Budweiser { and yes before anyone writes and says they cant recall  Budweiser on sale - in fact it was on sale from 2002/03/04/05 }

Clearly who ever thought this up ' was a Complete Idiot ' as it offered Unlimited free drink's ' 

If I had that ticket - I could have bought every one in the bar a drink and then kept going until the bar was closed.

On the radio - no one had a clue about any Golden ticket - they then called up to the sponsors - they had no clue either but someone checked the magazine and sure enough ' they had placed a competition ' and then they found the bright spark who had thought the whole thing up.

now the actual four people were very good and they did not order any drinks for others - I would be telling lies if I could recall how much the bill was but it was a tiny fraction of what it could have been.

One would have thought they would have contacted the WBC in advance but they did not.

its the only time I have ran into a Golden ticket

many years ago was working at Glastonbury in the guest tent bar and was called over as a server had a usual problem.

At first I thought it was a wind up - he had four people at the bar all claiming to have a ' Golden ticket ' 

they claimed it allowed them # Unlimited free drinks # - so I got them to produce their tickets ' they were not golden ' 

sat them down as this was going to take time - they all had entered a competition sponsored by a drinks company - lets say Budweiser { and yes before anyone writes and says they cant recall  Budweiser on sale - in fact it was on sale from 2002/03/04/05 }

Clearly who ever thought this up ' was a Complete Idiot ' as it offered Unlimited free drink's ' 

If I had that ticket - I could have bought every one in the bar a drink and then kept going until the bar was closed.

On the radio - no one had a clue about any Golden ticket - they then called up to the sponsors - they had no clue either but someone checked the magazine and sure enough ' they had placed a competition ' and then they found the bright spark who had thought the whole thing up.

now the actual four people were very good and they did not order any drinks for others - I would be telling lies if I could recall how much the bill was but it was a tiny fraction of what it could have been.

One would have thought they would have contacted the WBC in advance but they did not.

its the only time I have ran into a Golden ticket

Interesting story glasto-worker. Just goes to show you what can happen if you fail to specify things clearly.

It would be flip chart heaven to find oneself in a meeting room like that. Could possibly get the people attending to do a bit of Blue Sky Thinking before lunch and a bit of Adding Value after lunch. Maybe have to Sunset some ideas just so that they can go home early too.

This is a brilliant auction item. I want. I want.

You could use the flip chart to brainstorm the reasons  "why the festival isn't as good as it used to be"

Interesting story glasto-worker. Just goes to show you what can happen if you fail to specify things clearly.

Budweiser were lucky - if I had no connection to the WBC and I had won that ticket I would have taken orders and sold the drink { as after all it did not restrict resale } for 1/2 the price and I would have cleaned up .

as I said at first I thought it was a wind up - but the four winners  were clearly overawed by the whole thing - they had never been to Glastonbury before and they certainly had never been in a VIP area before - they were all young - say between 20 and 25 and when I told them they would have to wait ' they accepted what I said straight away ' - they were asking questions like ' where do the bands camp ? etc etc - it was not their fault and really Budweiser should have sorted it out well in advance - I think it was three bottles of Becks beer and a Coke - The only restriction was ' they only could use their tickets's in the Guest Bar ' - at that time you could buy { if you had the money }  - Veuve Clicquot Champagne at say £50 { to £60 } and there was some others even more expensive than that but they stuck to ' three bottles of Becks beer and  a Coke '

I know loads of people who would have ended up pissed out their head.

So how did you get on with your tickets ?

Or you could have two meetings if you brought your own room dividers with you. Of course you could also have two meetings if you had one meeting for the first alloted time in the meeting room, and the second meeting in the second half of the alloted time in the meeting room.

Just think of all the things you could do in those meetings too. The list is almost endless. Not a bad auction item at all when you think about it.

You could have four if you combined both techniques.

I see the entry with the chance to watch an act from the pyramid stage has hit £4250, with 5 days left...

is it the option to watch any act from the Pyramid, or are their going to be restrictions or an act chosen for you? i mean, watching a headliner from side stage would be incredible, but being forced to wake up at 10.00 to watch some no-name/somebody you don't like would be somewhat less special

Edited by FloorFiller

is it the option to watch any act from the Pyramid, or are their going to be restrictions or an act chosen for you? i mean, watching a headliner from side stage would be incredible, but being forced to wake up at 10.00 to watch some no-name/somebody you don't like would be somewhat less special

It just says an afternoon or evening pyramid set for two people, May that suggest it doesn't include headliners, maybe

These sort of sales really do only favour the wealthy( nothing wrong with being wealthy) but doesn't really fit in with glastonburys hippie past.

It's like Chris Evens children n need thing where he auctions rides in his ferraris, I'm sure it raises lots of money but the only people who can hope to win are the sort of people who think nothing of spending £60k on a Porsche for their firstborn at 17. Your average punter has no hope.

A raffle would be much fairer, £10 a ticket, winner gets drawn out of a hat.

Budweiser were lucky - if I had no connection to the WBC and I had won that ticket I would have taken orders and sold the drink { as after all it did not restrict resale } for 1/2 the price and I would have cleaned up .

as I said at first I thought it was a wind up - but the four winners  were clearly overawed by the whole thing - they had never been to Glastonbury before and they certainly had never been in a VIP area before - they were all young - say between 20 and 25 and when I told them they would have to wait ' they accepted what I said straight away ' - they were asking questions like ' where do the bands camp ? etc etc - it was not their fault and really Budweiser should have sorted it out well in advance - I think it was three bottles of Becks beer and a Coke - The only restriction was ' they only could use their tickets's in the Guest Bar ' - at that time you could buy { if you had the money }  - Veuve Clicquot Champagne at say £50 { to £60 } and there was some others even more expensive than that but they stuck to ' three bottles of Becks beer and  a Coke '

So how did you get on with your tickets ?

Hello glasto-worker

I managed to get the two tickets that I needed via a little help from an efester and a non efester. :)

The meeting room (if whoever wins it for the 4 hours..) could be use by some clever people - who have just got married, use the meeting room for 4 hours, have a tour of the site and then go off to have a party.  I haven't read the T&Cs of the meeting room. But I feel like it's a great idea.

But then again, it is the afternoon on a Wednesday..

Glasto-worker - in fairness, I think if I had an unlimited drinks ticket I may well be one of those people who is overly drunk. I'm not shocked that a big company failed to communicate / discuss it's prizes with anyone.

Thanks glasto-worker. I don't suppose you propose to attend the efests meet up do you, or will you be too busy? I'll buy you a pint if you are.

I don't get about as much as I would like - I have peripheral arterial disease - I thought they would operate before Glasto 2015 but they are stalling - I see that Consultant in a weeks time but I suspect he will dream up new scans just to delay things - All the rest of his patients are unable to walk at all so its a long queue { although they don't call it a queue } and I am at the end of it so I cant see me getting close to a operation next year at all .

This year was able to get a motorised buggie down though the guest area and got close to the Bread and Roses - they are restricted when/where they can use them so if you fancy a drink we could meet up there ' unless I can find a horse '

That raises the question, what would you do if you won the meeting room?

A discussion on the merits of the ebay auction :P

The point is to raise money for charity not to make it easier to get tickets...the higher it goes for the better using that logic

And I get that I do, but I was just wondering if some sort of raffle might be able to raise more the 2-5k each auction is getting while also getting more publicity for the charity and allowing everyone a decent chance. You see loads of these sort auctions lately.

If anything a raffle would make it harder to get the tickets

well with the right publicity I think you may be right - I am sure that many would gamble and I bet they could sell 10,000 raffle tickets so bringing in £200,000 for a pair of tickets - I am sure the BBC would cover it so 10,000 is not a unrealistic figure.

Yeah, you'd imagine at least everyone who failed in the resale would give it a go!

I know I certainly would (and on the more expensive stuff than what I might normally buy!)

I don't get about as much as I would like - I have peripheral arterial disease - I thought they would operate before Glasto 2015 but they are stalling - I see that Consultant in a weeks time but I suspect he will dream up new scans just to delay things - All the rest of his patients are unable to walk at all so its a long queue { although they don't call it a queue } and I am at the end of it so I cant see me getting close to a operation next year at all .

This year was able to get a motorised buggie down though the guest area and got close to the Bread and Roses - they are restricted when/where they can use them so if you fancy a drink we could meet up there ' unless I can find a horse '

I remember you saying that they might operate before Glastonbury 2015. Hope that your consultant doesn't fob you off this time around.

Bread and Roses sounds good. I'll PM you closer to the time.

It is all for charity remember, so the more money the better (regardless of where it comes from)!

I realise that but I doubt the people who win give a damn about the charity, all they care about is getting the ticket or whatever is up for auction.

It's a shame that people feel they need something in return for giving to charity

I wonder how many people who will quite happily pay £230 for a ticket, of which some goes to charity, would then give all the money to charity if they failed to get a ticket? Not many I'd wager.

As for Chris Evans children in need thing, he would raise considerably more doing a £10 a ticket raffle, considering his radio audience. People would happily buy multiple tickets with a fair chance of winning.