Returning after a few years

Respectfatfrog

Has anyone ever had a few years off and then returned? Whats it like is it like its never changed or a whole new place to explor

The reason i ask is i havent been since 2010 been to 09 before that and taking my wife for the first time this year as with many things i wonder if you forget the bad things and remember the good things and maybe i have built this up to a to bigger thing for my wife now (not that i think this is possible) i already smiling at the thought of seeing the site as i get into pilton and then just getting threw the gate and onto a field

Edited by Respectfatfrog

Yeah, I had a break from 2000 - 2005 and 2010 -2014. Also missed last yearh.

It really hadn't changed a great deal since 2010. Main changes I can think of are:

• Arcadia is now up in its own area near The Park.
  • The area round The Glade now has two or three extra venues.
  • Other Stage is new (2015) and W Holts looks a bit different.
  • Far more long-drops and compost toilets.  Virtually no portaloos.
  • The SE corner changes every year of course, most significantly no alleyways since 2011, but it's essentially the same area.
  • Minor re-arranging of food stalls.  Growler is on the other side. A Falafel stand moved out of The Park to nearby. Pie Minister moved (gone now?).  That kind of thing.
  • More of a foodie area around William's Green.

It felt like the same place basically.  No big changes like The Park, the introduction of Shangri-La or even the JP tent changing from a little "New Bands" tent to a major venue.  Nothing on that scale I'd say, although I might have missed something.

It really hadn't changed a great deal since 2010. Main changes I can think of are:

Good list, the only additions I can think of is the new Strummerville up in the trees, and the explosion in off-site camping especially Worthy View

Good list, the only additions I can think of is the new Strummerville up in the trees, and the explosion in off-site camping especially Worthy View

Yeah, forgot Strummerville.

Worthy View is going to be HUGE next year, I reckon. It's already pretty massive.

Edited by stuartbert two hats

I've got a question that's sort of the reverse of this one: what's it like for you regulars that have taken time off and go back? Do you feel less engaged/part of it? Do you enjoy it more as a result? Do you feel like it's less yours or whatever?

Having missed out I think it might be time for a break. It's my second time missing out in the main sale but I'm in two minds about waiting for the resale.

I'm returning next year, having missed 2014 and 2015. Not really expecting much to have changed but I am absolutely itching to get back there. I didn't miss two years by 'choice' - I tried and failed to get tickets in October both years - and then made other plans. I guess I was ready for a break as I didn't try resales etc. and I'm sure I'll appreciate it all the more going back.

I'm returning next year, having missed 2014 and 2015. Not really expecting much to have changed but I am absolutely itching to get back there. I didn't miss two years by 'choice' - I tried and failed to get tickets in October both years - and then made other plans. I guess I was ready for a break as I didn't try resales etc. and I'm sure I'll appreciate it all the more going back.

It's weird what missing out on a year can do to you. I missed out 2014 and blanked it out of my mind completely. I managed to get tickets quite late in the resale and I wasn't thinking about it at all until I got tickets in April and managed to completely forget about the aspects of it that I loved. When I went back this year everything came flooding back and this time round I'm more excited than ever to go back again in 2016.

I've got a question that's sort of the reverse of this one: what's it like for you regulars that have taken time off and go back? Do you feel less engaged/part of it? Do you enjoy it more as a result? Do you feel like it's less yours or whatever?

Having missed out I think it might be time for a break. It's my second time missing out in the main sale but I'm in two minds about waiting for the resale.

if i could not go but not have to hear or see a single fucking thing about the festival, including the lineup, TV coverage etc, then i'd definitely take a break from it every once in a while and spend the money in other places, but obviously in this day and age (and due to me being a glutton for punishment) this could never happen, and if i didn't go (especially due to lack of trying) i know i'd be at home, crying in to the printed version of the lineup in a magazine whilst Radiohead play on the television and punching anybody in the face who mentions how great it was to me afterwards. it's become too much of a thing for me now. i think this is why the fallow years are so good - give you time to get away from it for a couple of years without the heart wrenching guilt. these forums must be a ghost town during that time! i went in 2010 but missed out in '11, so by the time it came to '13 i was raring to go - nothing could've stopped me from going that year

edit: i realise that resolves nothing for you or what you were enquiring about - just my thoughts and ramblings on the matter

Edited by FloorFiller

depends on your reasons for not going.  if you are genuinely ok about missing it, as i was in 2014 cos i was off doing other things i'd wanted to do for years, then it's not an issue.  go back to it when you want.

if you're really just trying to kid yourself because you weren't successful on sunday, it may be a bit tougher.

for the record, i really enjoyed it this year, but i've been going for over 20 years on and off and my ability to enjoy the festival has evolved as i've got older.  i try and seek out things i've not done before, as well as the usual favourites.  a break does you no harm if that's what you're happy with.

Thanks all for the interesting responses. I'm torn as I thought I felt less bothered and that this was a sign I should try something else. But last night I was thinking about working and the resale again. Ugh. A few months to think about it anyway.

It's hard because I can realistically only do two festivals a year at the most and I do feel I miss out on other things. Agree the fallow years are good for this. I went to electric picnic in 2012.

And floor filler if Radiohead play then there's no way I'm not hitting that resale.

I guess I just feel it test harder every year partly as my group is getting smaller I guess.

Thanks all for the interesting responses. I'm torn as I thought I felt less bothered and that this was a sign I should try something else. But last night I was thinking about working and the resale again. Ugh. A few months to think about it anyway.

It's hard because I can realistically only do two festivals a year at the most and I do feel I miss out on other things. Agree the fallow years are good for this. I went to electric picnic in 2012.

And floor filler if Radiohead play then there's no way I'm not hitting that resale.

I guess I just feel it gets harder every year partly as my group is getting smaller I guess.

I missed last year but felt I wanted a break after 3 years in a row. But when it was getting towards that weekend I was gutted so ended up booking to go see The Who and Weller in Hyde Park instead. Took my mind off it slightly but still wanted to get back there asap!

if i could not go but not have to hear or see a single fucking thing about the festival, including the lineup, TV coverage etc, then i'd definitely take a break from it every once in a while and spend the money in other places, but obviously in this day and age (and due to me being a glutton for punishment) this could never happen, and if i didn't go (especially due to lack of trying) i know i'd be at home, crying in to the printed version of the lineup in a magazine whilst Radiohead play on the television and punching anybody in the face who mentions how great it was to me afterwards. it's become too much of a thing for me now. i think this is why the fallow years are so good - give you time to get away from it for a couple of years without the heart wrenching guilt. these forums must be a ghost town during that time! i went in 2010 but missed out in '11, so by the time it came to '13 i was raring to go - nothing could've stopped me from going that year

edit: i realise that resolves nothing for you or what you were enquiring about - just my thoughts and ramblings on the matter

I feel exactly the same way. I wasn't going next year. When I got back this year I felt a bit jaded and bored with it all, still do a little bit. Mrs Jass and I had made the decision not to go, I'm going to the Euros next summer and then we'd have a nice holiday instead... Then T-Day rolled around and I just couldn't bring myself to let it go. Partly due to a fear of missing something amazing (the year I don't go will be the year Eavis convinces Led Zeppelin to reform) but mainly because when I do finally decide to can it I want it to be on my terms not because I couldn't get a ticket.

Although it must be a bit of a limbo feeling at the moment, at least most other festivals you may consider won't have sold out by April so you can always do your research over the next few months, but don't commit until then.

Although it must be a bit of a limbo feeling at the moment, at least most other festivals you may consider won't have sold out by April so you can always do your research over the next few months, but don't commit until then.

Yeah exactly. I think the point is not to commit to anything now, and just keep an eye on all the line-ups in the coming months.

I last attended in 2011 and tried the last 3 years, to get tickets.

Having been successfull this year I'm already so excited! And making my plans.

A break whether deliberate or not definately makes returning all the more special. Not expecting too many changes but already compiling a list of must do's as not sure when I'll get back again

Roll on June!!

I feel exactly the same way. I wasn't going next year. When I got back this year I felt a bit jaded and bored with it all, still do a little bit. Mrs Jass and I had made the decision not to go, I'm going to the Euros next summer and then we'd have a nice holiday instead... Then T-Day rolled around and I just couldn't bring myself to let it go. Partly due to a fear of missing something amazing (the year I don't go will be the year Eavis convinces Led Zeppelin to reform) but mainly because when I do finally decide to can it I want it to be on my terms not because I couldn't get a ticket.

You've summed up my experiences / thoughts this year perfectly here too!  We did get tickets for 2016, & are going to try campervanning it as well to see if less strain on the ageing body makes me love it all the more than I ever had - I hope that's what was missing for me this summer.

Back to the OP though, not missed a year in the last 6 so can't really answer your question adequately, although Stuartbert has summed up the changes really well I think.  For me, part of the magic of the place is walking through Gate C & it looking (in terms of stall layout etc) like I'd never left, then a few hours in noticing & loving all the subtle changes as we get exploring!

I had a big break between 2000 and 2009, it was almost a different place, just huge by comparison with so much that had evolved or been added.  I kept going back since and missed out in 2014, returning in 2015 it just felt that nothing had changed much while I'd been away.

I was going to say since 2010 not much has changed, but obviously I missed the giant Arcadia spider where there used to be camping...  And Strummerville in it's new spot...  If 2010 was the year of the football (I think it was) then all those fields are now camping.  This confused me to no end when they moved PGA!