2016 Wishlist

Nick07

I'm thrilled with the first annoucement! I went to my first EotR in 2011 for Joanna Newsom and have been back every year since because I loved the rest of the festival so much. Excited for Bat For Lashes, Cat Power, Martha (check them out if you don't know them - so much fun!), Jeffrey Lewis, Meilyr Jones, Josienne Clark and of course J'New! Also excited for all the bands I don't know. Every year I come home with a whole bunch of new favourites and a harsh credit card bill for CD purchases.

• Replies 449
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think there is probably some truth to the suggestion that they are cutting costs after a bit of a blowout last year for their 10th anniversary. I can't believe that Joanna Newsom, Animal Collective, Bat for Lashes, Cat Power and Devendra Banhart cost anything like as much as The War on Drugs, Tame Impala, Sufjan Stevens, Future Islands and Django Django.

I'm not a massive fan of the line-up personally. In previous years there's always been a handful of people I love and then some great bands I've never heard of. This year there's not really anyone I love (I do really like Thee Oh Sees though) and I haven't really been massively grabbed by anything I've heard from the bands I didn't know. Maybe it'll improve with the next announcement.

One thing that does strike me is how white the line-up is so far. I know that the styles they largely favour (folk, various types of rock, country) will likely lead to an ethnic imbalance, but the fact that even the band playing African style rhythms (Goat) are white and from Sweden seems a little odd. I feel like a little of the flavour of West Holts stage from Glastonbury wouldn't go amiss at End of the Road. Rokia Traoré has a new album out and would be a great addition. As would Toumani Diabaté as he is a wonderful musician.

21 minutes ago, BionicDog said:

I think there is probably some truth to the suggestion that they are cutting costs after a bit of a blowout last year for their 10th anniversary. I can't believe that Joanna Newsom, Animal Collective, Bat for Lashes, Cat Power and Devendra Banhart cost anything like as much as The War on Drugs, Tame Impala, Sufjan Stevens, Future Islands and Django Django.

I'm not a massive fan of the line-up personally. In previous years there's always been a handful of people I love and then some great bands I've never heard of. This year there's not really anyone I love (I do really like Thee Oh Sees though) and I haven't really been massively grabbed by anything I've heard from the bands I didn't know. Maybe it'll improve with the next announcement.

Hmm, personally I would argue the headliners are roughly on-par with last year. Obviously the size of Tame Impala really exploded by the time the festival came around but I could see them playing a similar slot to Tame Impala at Bestival (for instance) the week after. I would also argue Joanna Newsom is also comparable to Sufjan Stevens (just compare the sizes of venues on their Autumn tours) only lacking the overall exclusivity that made Sufjan seem so special even if he was not necessarily bigger. Bat For Lashes and the War on Drugs are of a similar size also, and subjectively, I'd argue the former are far more interesting. Overall, I'd say it is a much stronger bill of headliners than the likes of 2014 when one huge headliner (The Flaming Lips) seem to compensate for two - brilliant - though somewhat disputable headliners (St Vincent and Wild Beasts). 

As for the other acts, I would argue that Cat Power is a much bigger name than Django Django at least. See, for instance, the Glastonbury 2013 line-up where she headlined a stage Django Django subbed. The exclusivity is probably important there too. I would be intrigued to see where on the line-ups the likes of Goat and Devendra Banhart will end up too though as it is undoubted that they don't have the commercial (in terms of general popularity) clout of any of the sub-headliners last year. Of course, as with any End of the Road line-up, the true beauty is deep in the texture of the undercard where gems can always be discovered and new favourites formed. 

27 minutes ago, BionicDog said:

One thing that does strike me is how white the line-up is so far. I know that the styles they largely favour (folk, various types of rock, country) will likely lead to an ethnic imbalance, but the fact that even the band playing African style rhythms (Goat) are white and from Sweden seems a little odd. I feel like a little of the flavour of West Holts stage from Glastonbury wouldn't go amiss at End of the Road. Rokia Traoré has a new album out and would be a great addition. As would Toumani Diabaté as he is a wonderful musician.

Extremely good point and well made. My main issue with the line-up from an objective perspective is it is extremely safe. This is really where Green Man excelled last year when booking the likes of Leftfield, Charles Bradley and Sun Ra Arkestra. Even some hip-hop would not go amiss. I do not think this would alienate fans to any real extent so long they stuck in the barometers of the fairly leftfield, critical darlings that currently adorn the line-up. For instance, I do love a bit of Django Django, but if it was a - say - Run the Jewels (who were at Reading and Leeds the week before) going into Tame Impala, it would have been a far more eclectic and interesting evening whilst still retaining the appropriateness for the audience. 

2 hours ago, teamcampesinos! said:

Extremely good point and well made. My main issue with the line-up from an objective perspective is it is extremely safe. This is really where Green Man excelled last year when booking the likes of Leftfield, Charles Bradley and Sun Ra Arkestra. Even some hip-hop would not go amiss. I do not think this would alienate fans to any real extent so long they stuck in the barometers of the fairly leftfield, critical darlings that currently adorn the line-up. For instance, I do love a bit of Django Django, but if it was a - say - Run the Jewels (who were at Reading and Leeds the week before) going into Tame Impala, it would have been a far more eclectic and interesting evening whilst still retaining the appropriateness for the audience. 

I actually think this is an unfair criticism. There is an obvious musical demographic at EOTR and to throw something in that clearly doesn't "fit" just doesn't work for me. I am a huge fan of hip-hop (I would especially like to see Run The Jewels live, for the record), but it just wouldn't work. Just like you wouldn't expect to see the vast majority of EOTR artists at, say, Lovebox or Wireless.

There is no racial discrimination here. EOTR have had black artists on their bill before (Benjamin Clementine, Tinariwen being two that immediately spring to mind) and so there is a chance that it won't be a totally white line-up. I know that Simon has expressed a lot of love for Kamasi Washington in the past, so that might happen I guess. Just the nature of the music performed at the festival IS predominately performed by white artists.

On a note about discrimination, what should really be commended about the line up so far, is the very strong female presence on the bill. And at the top of the bill too. Not just filling spots towards the bottom. This is incredibly refreshing when looking at festival line-ups over the past few years. 

25 minutes ago, shoebox said:

I actually think this is an unfair criticism. There is an obvious musical demographic at EOTR and to throw something in that clearly doesn't "fit" just doesn't work for me. I am a huge fan of hip-hop (I would especially like to see Run The Jewels live, for the record), but it just wouldn't work. Just like you wouldn't expect to see the vast majority of EOTR artists at, say, Lovebox or Wireless.

There is no racial discrimination here. EOTR have had black artists on their bill before (Benjamin Clementine, Tinariwen being two that immediately spring to mind) and so there is a chance that it won't be a totally white line-up. I know that Simon has expressed a lot of love for Kamasi Washington in the past, so that might happen I guess. Just the nature of the music performed at the festival IS predominately performed by white artists.

On a note about discrimination, what should really be commended about the line up so far, is the very strong female presence on the bill. And at the top of the bill too. Not just filling spots towards the bottom. This is incredibly refreshing when looking at festival line-ups over the past few years. 

Of course I am not accusing End of the Road's booking team of having any element of racism at all. I think your justified defence of the festival in the second paragraph just stems from me not stating my argument very well. Apologies for that! I also entirely agree that the festival should be commended about its gender diversity which is entirely fantastic. I'm glad to see this has been noticed in a Telegraph (surprisingly!) article too. 

As for the first paragraph, I would argue that certain hip-hop artists would fit into the musical demographic at End of the Road - in terms of audience at least. See, for instance, how Field Day and the stateside-Pitchfork festivals unite genres. I would argue that a venn-diagram of fans of the acclaimed likes of Run the Jewels - to continue the example - and Animal Collective would have a lot of overlap. I suppose my argument is that shifting the musical demographic ever so slightly (let's not forget, this is the festival which hosted Sleaford Mods and Mark Wynn last year) would not necessarily change the make-up of festival devotees and attendees but only increase the music (and perhaps, incidentally, the racial) diversity of what is on offer. Note also how LCD Soundsystem can headline Lovebox with little fuss. Then again, I am no festival booker and this is extremely subjective. Personally, I have little to complain about with the End of the Road line-ups although I do think End of the Road is also a festival that rightfully does prize itself on musical diversity. Hence why I could go from Saint Etienne to Sufjan Stevens to Sleaford Mods on the Saturday night of last year. I would personally argue including a few more leftfield hip-hop acts would only improve this. Even perhaps the likes of Ghostpoet and Young Fathers slightly further down the line-up would be impressive additions. 

Anyway, viva la End of the Road regardless! 

OK, if we're entertaining this idea (and I am still struggling to come to terms with it. Think it would attract a select few in amongst the EOTR crowd, or maybe I'm not giving them enough credit), then I would say Run The Jewels are, surprisingly, too mainstream now. But I would welcome Aesop Rock and Why?, they'd just about fit in for me.

15 minutes ago, shoebox said:

OK, if we're entertaining this idea (and I am still struggling to come to terms with it. Think it would attract a select few in amongst the EOTR crowd, or maybe I'm not giving them enough credit), then I would say Run The Jewels are, surprisingly, too mainstream now. But I would welcome Aesop Rock and Why?, they'd just about fit in for me.

It would certainly be interesting to survey the thoughts of End of the Road crowd. Though I would argue if there was a hip-hop fringe to the festival, it would largely work like the electronic fringe currently going where the likes of East India Youth and Caribou can still attract sizeable crowds. 

If only I had the time or interest to survey people at the festival this year! 

Edited by teamcampesinos!

1 minute ago, teamcampesinos! said:

It would certainly be interesting to survey the thoughts of End of the Road crowd. Though I would argue if there was a hip-hop fringe to the festival, it would largely work like the electronic fringe currently going where the likes of East India Youth and Caribou can still attract sizeable crowds. 

If only I had the time or interest to survey people at the festival this year! 

I'd do it, but I'm there to have fun! (and I'm usually too drunk to even hold a pen, let alone fill out a survey with it!)

I think the crucial matter is Simon is on record as saying "We just book acts that we like". I guess if the EOTR crew have no interest in the genre, then it doesn't really matter what we think!

Whilst I would personally welcome the addition of some leftfield hip-hop (Brother Ali, John Robinson, Mr Lif, Edan, Insight, Blitz the Ambassador, Shabazz Palaces, Dels, Roots Manuva) I recognise that would be something of a departure musically. The two artists I mentioned previously wouldn't be though and neither would any of the thousands of other artists from around the world making variations of folk, rock, soul, funk and pop music. I'm not accusing them of discrimination, just picking a lineup that lacks a little in ethnic diversity and variety. Human Pyramids were a joy last year and a multi-member band like Bombay Royale or the Dele Sosimi Afrobeat Orchestra would make for a lovely afternoon in the sun (fingers crossed). 

Edited by BionicDog
Typo

Hip-hop? Marvellous idea! Someone told me the Bay City Rollers are touring again: in the interests of diversity, I think they are worth an afternoon slot on the Woods stage on Sunday.Let's get some burger vans on site for even more welcome diversity too. And one thing I've always felt the EOTR has signally lacked is Carling lager: perhaps a petition could be started? Just thinking out loud, putting it out there.

On 18/02/2016 at 8:10 PM, RedRockRick said:

Hip-hop? Marvellous idea! Someone told me the Bay City Rollers are touring again: in the interests of diversity, I think they are worth an afternoon slot on the Woods stage on Sunday.Let's get some burger vans on site for even more welcome diversity too. And one thing I've always felt the EOTR has signally lacked is Carling lager: perhaps a petition could be started? Just thinking out loud, putting it out there.

Like it or not but in a world full of stale psycadelic reverb laced indie rock and 80s influenced alt pop hip hop has actually become one of the most interesting and forward thinking genres out there. And it's not the lowest common denominator like your post would suggest, a lot of intelligent stuff out there and the artists Bionic Dog suggested are all credible artists in there own right that don't really lean into the hip hop stereotype at all. Though as to whether or not it'll fit in with the festival is another question entirely but try not to be such an elitist snob about it.

It'll only work in the big top at the post heading slot imho so it's unlikely it'll happen. I wouldn't mind throwing something left field on Friday night to dance to but I don't go to end of the road for that, I go to have  giggle and to chill.... But if we can have Metz which are about as far removed from relaxed as you can get then I guess it's not completely out of the question?

I'd like to throw Anderson Paak in the hat of someone I'd like to see. Malibu is one of my fav of the year  so far and it's laid back enough to fit in with the rest of the bill as it has an r&b slant which makes it smooth and easy listening.

Edited by Yesiamaduck

Who would be a festival organiser, as they say "one man's meat is another man's poison", which is what it comes down to with regards to booking performers. It's all about what you, personally, enjoy (or don't as the case may be), I'm a relative newcomer to EOTR having first gone in 2012, mainly because it was the first that I had heard of this festival (and we only live 10 miles away) and the headliners included some of my favourite acts, Roy Harper, Patti Smith, Tindersticks, Midlake, since then each year there have been acts amongst the headliners that rank as some of my favourites (Sufjan, David Byrne, Eels, Sigur Ros), sadly this year there is not one amongst the top headliners that take my fancy (apart from Goat, Phospherescent and Thee Oh Sees), but ...............

I have already got my ticket and as in previous years there are certainly acts down in the lower order that have already caught my eye from listening to the spotify playlst and Youtube, and I'm certainly looking forward to seeing Jeffrey Lewis again(what a late night performance in the Tipi Tent in 2012).

I do thank EOTR for expanding my taste in music, if it hadn't have been for this great festival I would never have heard of such great artists like Sufjan, John Murry, War On drugs, Low, Rylie Walker, Diane Jones, Dawes, Jonathan Wilson to name a few, so despite my slight disappointment at the headliners I'm just as excited over 2016 as in previous years andanyway it's not just about the music