Glastonbury festival is 'over' according to Harvey Goldsmith

But yet you try to start one!...

Would that be the happy gang that seem to enjoy a fellow w*nkathon with each other I should pay attention to eh? Seems a few other posters also mentioned they would like to see em, not as vocal as the 5k+ we know best on here posters !

I'm all for an argument that can be backed up with what a poster says, I backed up mine saying an apparently unknown band that sings in German what apparently no one has heard off or knows their songs despite selling out arenas every time in the UK could not deserve to headline, I've also given reasons as to why the supposed 'No1 Metal Festival' isn't selling out and met with bullshit responses from other prolific posters offering nothing to back up the crap they say and yet those that do haven't actually seen em play, try and dies and blindly claim 'they would go down like a dead duck' 'No one would watch them' and god knows what else when the actual truth is far from what they think!

What makes me laugh the most is Glato is in just about every haters eyes is regarded as the most middle class festival you could attend despite its left wing hippy intentions and support and oddly this forums page seems to do nothing but confirm that! Don't believe me? Try defending it on another festival page.

Oh you are ridiculous, you mostly ignore the parts of people's arguments you don't want to hear. To reiterate, here are some logical points about Rammstein and why they won't be headlining Glastonbury any time soon -

1) They are a niche band who appeal to a very niche market, much more niche than Metallica. They have not had the commercial, critical success or longevity of Metallica (or Iron Maiden who could also easily headline Glastonbury). Selling out a few arena does not make a band worthy of headlining a festival which has a broad appeal. The BBC doesn't dictate who headlines Glastonbury, but it has played a huge part in the success of the festival, therefore bands which people are going to want to watch are important.

2) Record sales definitely plays a part in who headlines, as it is an indicator of how big a pull a band is. Rammstein have sold barely any albums in the U.K., their highest charting album (and their last, they don't release a lot?) was 16 in 2009.

3) Would they want to do it? Would their agent? A large part of why bands do Glastonbury is for their boost in record sales, to make up for the reduced fee. They make a lot of money from arena shows.., I doubt Glastonbury would be a good time investment for them. If you happen to be fan boi-ing at a Rammstein meet and greet any time soon, ask them if they have even heard of Glastonbury.

4) Stage show wise, they look like the Katy Perry of the metal world, themselves admitting that they need to put on a huge show because nobody understands the lyrics. Download may let them bring all the theatrics, but Glastonbury does not let bands have the ridiculous set ups that Rammstein seem to have.

So while you may want Rammstein to headline, it is just a very unrealistic option. You may not agree with the principle of record sales or the BBC playing a part in who is booked, but that's just because you don't understand how it works.

For the record, if they were headlining, I would actually go along as I have heard what an amazing show they do (I didn't see Metallica, not my bag). But it ain't happening.

Edited by Festival Liam

• Replies 458
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh you are ridiculous, you mostly ignore the parts of people's arguments you don't want to hear. To reiterate, here are some logical points about Rammstein and why they won't be headlining Glastonbury any time soon -

1) They are a niche band who appeal to a very niche market, much more niche than Metallica. They have not had the commercial, critical success or longevity of Metallica (or Iron Maiden who could also easily headline Glastonbury). Selling out a few arena does not make a band worthy of headlining a festival which has a broad appeal. The BBC doesn't dictate who headlines Glastonbury, but it has played a huge part in the success of the festival, therefore bands which people are going to want to watch are important.

2) Record sales definitely plays a part in who headlines, as it is an indicator of how big a pull a band is. Rammstein have sold barely any albums in the U.K., their highest charting album (and their last, they don't release a lot?) was 16 in 2009.

3) Would they want to do it? Would their agent? A large part of why bands do Glastonbury is for their boost in record sales, to make up for the reduced fee. They make a lot of money from arena shows.., I doubt Glastonbury would be a good time investment for them. If you happen to be fan boi-ing at a Rammstein meet and greet any time soon, ask them if they have even heard of Glastonbury.

4) Stage show wise, they look like the Katy Perry of the metal world, themselves admitting that they need to put on a huge show because nobody understands the lyrics. Download may let them bring all the theatrics, but Glastonbury does not let bands have the ridiculous set ups that Rammstein seem to have.

So while you may want Rammstein to headline, it is just a very unrealistic option. You may not agree with the principle of record sales or the BBC playing a part in who is booked, but that's just because you don't understand how it works.

For the record, if they were headlining, I would actually go along as I have heard what an amazing show they do (I didn't see Metallica, not my bag). But it ain't happening.

What are these bits I don't want to hear eh? I've only responded to the most ludicrous rubbish spouted!

And on that note...

Album sales.

1, Foo's, latest been pretty poor - bit of a turkey tbh and I've seen em over a dozen times live btw.

2, Kanye? Seriously? Sales of Yeezus less than 700k worldwide apparently..

3, The Who, what album sales recently?.... Been spoon fed on em since before I could walk but C'mon how are they fitting your profile eh?

As for Rammstein I never said at any point they should headline Glasto, I've only said why when asked. As for a limited niche of a niche as you put it, well something like 100k sales of tickets of their last UK tour that sold out within minutes suggests there's a fair demand for that niche of niche's. Oh and the 2013 headline of that metal festival that no one seems to go to filled the field pretty well,90k according to estimates....

Yes Rammstein are nothing without the theatrics but then again you honesty expect Sat night to just have a single guy speaking in rhyme in tune to other artists songs?.... Oh and yes you are correct in what they do, they do absolutely incredibly well, you cannot help but be impressed with the production quality even if you hate the genre.

I know exactly how the record industry works fella, a lot of it sucks because that's just how it is,

Edited by Northern-Monkey

What are these bits I don't want to hear eh? I've only responded to the most ludicrous rubbish spouted!

And on that note...

Album sales.

1, Foo's, latest been pretty poor - bit of a turkey tbh and I've seen em over a dozen times live btw.

2, Kanye? Seriously? Sales of Yeezus less than 700k worldwide apparently..

3, The Who, what album sales recently?.... Been spoon fed on em since before I could walk but C'mon how are they fitting your profile eh?

As for Rammstein I never said at any point they should headline Glasto, I've only said why when asked. As for a limited niche of a niche as you put it, well something like 100k sales of tickets of their last UK tour that sold out within minutes suggests there's a fair demand for that niche of niche's. Oh and the 2013 headline of that metal festival that no one seems to go to filled the field pretty well,90k according to estimates....

Yes Rammstein are nothing without the theatrics but then again you honesty expect Sat night to just have a single guy speaking in rhyme in tune to other artists songs?.... Oh and yes you are correct in what they do, they do absolutely incredibly well, you cannot help but be impressed with the production quality even if you hate the genre.

I know exactly how the record industry works fella, a lot of it sucks because that's just how it is,

But Kanye and Foos have had large sales in the last 10-15 years. Kanye's 700k worldwide is probaby 20x more than Rammstein sold, and Kanye's UK sales will certainly be 20x + that of Rammstein's.

No, The Who don't fit my profile of "relevant, album selling, critically acclaimed musical artist from the last 5 years" which Foos and Kanye do (arguably on some points for both but broadly speaking) .. but they do fit the bill of "old legends who people want to see". Rammstein fit neither profile. They haven't been going that long and they aren't that popular.

I feel like the dimwitted brick wall is winning, so I give up now.

Edited by Festival Liam

In all fairness they did manage to squeak in at the bottom of the last.fm top 150 this week....

But then I realised that was worldwide so probably not fair - so I look at the UK figures no Rammstein sorry, no dice.

Not a headliner, definitively answered by the internets. You're welcome to continue this argument with last.fm and hundreds of thousands of listeners but it's a bit done here. Can we get back on topic now?

For coverage of an event of that size, using only 400 staff is something which we should praise the BBC for not criticise. For context it's less than a fifth of the numbers Oxfam send.

Yes, It's astonishing that people could have a problem with that number - if they do, then either they've got no perspective of how many people it takes to produce coverage that extensive, or if they do then they've got an agenda and hope nobody calls them on their bullshit.

Except the problem is, the number he's throwing around isn't actually correct. It's not even 400. For the last couple of years it was approximately 300. That's 300 people to generate about 30 hours of scheduled tv content which would be perfectly reasonable even before you add all the Radio and Online stuff they also do.

In all fairness they did manage to squeak in at the bottom of the last.fm top 150 this week....

But then I realised that was worldwide so probably not fair - so I look at the UK figures no Rammstein sorry, no dice.

Not a headliner, definitively answered by the internets. You're welcome to continue this argument with last.fm and hundreds of thousands of listeners but it's a bit done here. Can we get back on topic now?

Facts aren't applicable. Trust me ;)