Glastonbury festival is 'over' according to Harvey Goldsmith

• Replies 458
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Download organisers asked the punters who they wanted at the festival and instead of listening (Foo's were top of the list btw!) They ignored it, brought back Slipknot (who only played just a couple of years earlier), bloody Muse and Kiss ffs!

Organisers: Hmm, we're not selling much - maybe we should book more mainstream acts to sell tickets?

Punters: I can't believe the organisers have booked MOR rock like Muse and Kiss, that's rubbish! Boo, boo!

Organisers: Well what do you want?

Punters: MOR rock like Foo Fighters please

Organisers: :banghead:

It's not a valid comparison. :rolleyes:

Glastonbury is capacity-limited by its licence and the fact that it's once-a-year event.

An arena tour generally has as many shows as a band is able to get punters for.

(it doesn't work that way for the very biggest bands who tend to limit their shows).

I know that, I was being sarcastic in reply to someone saying that only 0.1% of the population of Germany bought tickets to a festival Rammstein headlined so they must be niche.

they haven't sold out - and neither has the just-one-rock/metal fest that is Download, remember - but they're all still there pulling in the punters.

Where's Soni gone? :P

Where's that older rock/metal fest that operated for a few years gone?

There's an audience for rock/metal, but it's small. It's niche!

As there is no official figure or number to quantify 'niche', this argument could go on forever.

One side is saying that metal can't be niche because it has a festival that sells 50000 tickets every year and has bands that go on arena and stadium tours, whilst the other side is saying that metal is niche because it only has one 50000 festival a year and has less arena and stadium tours than other genres.

So unless someone can come up with an official size of a genre before it stops being 'niche' we may as well wrap this argument up.

As there is no official figure or number to quantify 'niche', this argument could go on forever.

One side is saying that metal can't be niche because it has a festival that sells 50000 tickets every year and has bands that go on arena and stadium tours, whilst the other side is saying that metal is niche because it only has one 50000 festival a year and has less arena and stadium tours than other genres.

So unless someone can come up with an official size of a genre before it stops being 'niche' we may as well wrap this argument up.

If you can define 'official' then we can define niche...then wrap up this argument.

My point exactly

Metal is niche though. ;)

So is classical music.

So is burlesque.

It doesn't mean the 'nicheness' is quantifiable or needs to be.

Some 'things' have an inherent nature...a mass cognitive, knowable 'inherence' [sic] in their 'certain tacit inherentness.'

But if I put a question mark at the end then no one will know if I'm niche or not, that'll be another four pages of the thread gone debating that.

Sparking debate might get people talking about the band.

Anyway, so is the conclusion of this thread that metal is shit and Harvey whathisface is a cock?