Cashless? I'm stunned at the apathy.

t8yman

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

There are genuine reasons to not have minors carrying around cash at school. And they are tracked onsite usually by registration and timetables. Both my kids use cashless systems at school. I don't have a problem with it in that instance at all. And if we forget to load it, there are fallback systems in place.

The most amazing thing about all of this is that, when the tags weren't working, they still dug their heels in and refused to take cash.

Surely they could have let the people who's tags were not working buy a burger and a pint with cash while they waited to sort their problems out? It would have reduced the queue and there would have been less complaints and bad publicity.

Edited by rivalschools.price

The most amazing thing about all of this is that, when the tags weren't working, they still dug their heels in and refused to take cash.

Surely they could have let the people who's tags were not working buy a burger and a pint with cash while they waited to sort their problems out? It would have reduced the queue and there would have been less complaints and bad publicity.

did you see the picture I posted above?

Totally appreciate the reasons for the schools going cashless, I guess the only troubling thing is conditioning future generations to that way of doing things, which already happens with social media and smartphones and stuff - people hand over data and information without a single thought - with having thumb readers and the like in schools I feel like it has just reinforces all of that.

Copping called me "stuck in the past" on Twitter when I responded to him dismissing the above article, he just kept sidestepping the actual point.

I was told by the woman in the ticket office that I was "being awkward" when I refused to give her my name when I bought my day ticket.

And I spent £0.00 in the arena.

Copping called me "stuck in the past" on Twitter when I responded to him dismissing the above article, he just kept sidestepping the actual point.

I was told by the woman in the ticket office that I was "being awkward" when I refused to give her my name when I bought my day ticket.

And I spent £0.00 in the arena.

Yup, he's called people stuck in the dark ages etc even after people complain about a normal thing like getting access to food and water, it's a human right. The guy never takes responsibility and your stuck in the past thing is the only response he had to people saying there needed to be two systems of choice. I think I made the right choice purely out of disrespect over the systems.

Gotta say I went yesterday and I think if they could use cashless without any major errors or a good back up plan then it really is a great system when working properly. Cut down queues for vendors by quite a lot and once the money was on the tag I wasn't worrying about losing my money like I usually do (though must say after the events at the start of the festival I was paranoid it wasn't going to work each time I bought something)

Got back from Download early hours of Morning, I did speak on twitter briefly about this, but yeah, so the problem it seemed with our group was if you updated via app to add money on your tag it didn't go through.

Went to info and they pushed the payment thru straight away, saying that it takes a minimum of 3 hours for the app to put money in, WTF! This was not said ANYWHERE on site unless you went to info, they also said it might not go thru AT ALL unless you swipe at a register point.

Seems the system was very very broken. 

I myself didn't have any problems however.

PS nice meeting ya Devilman!

Mine was topped up from home and worked perfectly all weekend but friends had multiple problems with topping up on site. The most obvious advantage to me was not having to fumble for cash at the bar, which when wearing waterproofs, loaded down with camera/bag, and my ageing eye-sight, is no small thing :prankster:

I had no issues with the system in that it worked perfectly. I don't like the stations showing your balance to the whole world for up to a minute or when the next customer uses it. I didn't know about the cameras and that is a bit off. As for tracking us, this rfid system can't be used for that apart from what we buy. I can't see this will be hailed as a success but I can't see them going back after investing in it. Soni might well be rammed next year.

I had no issues with the system in that it worked perfectly. I don't like the stations showing your balance to the whole world for up to a minute or when the next customer uses it. I didn't know about the cameras and that is a bit off. As for tracking us, this rfid system can't be used for that apart from what we buy. I can't see this will be hailed as a success but I can't see them going back after investing in it. Soni might well be rammed next year.

Just to pick up on your last bit, I'd say after this year and all the issue's some have had, if Soni was ever going to make it back and try to establish itself for a longer period then next year is a great opportunity and they 100% won't even try any of the systems that Download did. The camera bit puts me right off, I go to a festival for freedom etc and would not feel like it's been given to me. The stations show your balance to people?

I'd agree that soni are missing a trick if they don't jump on this as a marketing advantage. However, I recall "going off on one" a few years ago cos Soni had the police outside their entrance with ANPR cameras, and an equally frustrating debate ensued then!

I think soni can also jump on the fact that they are more likely to get better weather, although I know the couple of times I went it was still pissing wet through there!

I'd agree that soni are missing a trick if they don't jump on this as a marketing advantage. However, I recall "going off on one" a few years ago cos Soni had the police outside their entrance with ANPR cameras, and an equally frustrating debate ensued then!

I think soni can also jump on the fact that they are more likely to get better weather, although I know the couple of times I went it was still pissing wet through there!

That camera situation sounds a bit different to Download's though and Copping has definitely made it sound like cashless will continue, he's not the kind of man to admit it caused enough issue's to just do the simple cash system again.

The 1st time I went for a day it pissed down, the 2nd time it was fine until Slipknot started. On the mention of Slipknot, while I enjoyed their set on tour, I think I built myself up to expect something spectacular from them live.

The main advantage they have with cashless which is IMO the real reason its been put in place is the vendors can't dodge any payment to Live Nation, if there is a percentage payment to Live Nation of what they sell which I believe their is, they can't say oh we only sold this or whatever they know exactly what they sold and also what sells well.

Its all been put in place to make them more money in the long run, Its to monitor the vendors rather than the punters.

I can see it being put in all their festivals by next year, if not more of them this year