Cashless? I'm stunned at the apathy.

t8yman

I think they've done a good job but can't be sure as I don't know how many tickets they've sold. Do you know how ticket sales have gone compared to other years gazza? If you do please share.

Nope I don't, I just don't think they done a great job and I don't feel that is just based on my tastes. The same two headlining bands on two different stages opposite each other two years later. A weak, whatever Andy claims final night headliner. It'd be a bit harsh to justify how well it's done ticket wise by saying weekend tickets haven't sold out as they never do, and I'd be fairly sure Download take the whole thing of it being non mainstream/rarely selling out into the planning of things. What I will say is, we are a week away from the event and I don't know of any of the 3 days that have sold out yet with one of the days having a £45/50 headline act playing and another having a £70 maybe headline act playing. Sunday with respect was never going to sell out anyway.

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I`m late 50`s and have been doing fests for the past 40 years. I do 6-7 festivals a year ranging in size from Brew at the Bog through Kendal to Glastonbury.

I stopped going to Download (Monsters of Rock) mid 80`s coz I found I prefered smaller fests and the people I used to go with stopped going (they got married had kids etc) and I found more like minded peeps to go with.

Last year one of my old friends (kids now grown up) decided he fancied going so after a ring round of our old crowd 5 of us went (one guy had not camped for almost 30 years never mind gone to a festival) I decided I was gonna go as light as possible so didn`t take all my normal festival stuff, cooker, food, etc.

We had a great time and because I could afford it (40+ years of working)spent a fortune, in fact I spent more at down load last year than both my OH and I spent at Glastonbury together.

Going again this year BUT won`t be back after that........ they whole concept that they can track what i spend, where i spend it and on what is just so basically wrong I don`t get how it can be defended. To say that they information gained will be for the good of the punter is laughable...... this info will only benifit the organisers and has driven people like myself and my friends away........

Be warned it`s the thin edge of a wedge.

Edited by THEBOILERMAN

Is this not all about making more money off what we spend on site?

I heard they were charging a fee for the pitch and then a percentage of what each stall takes.

In the past, they'd have had to guess the level of business each stall was doing but now they'll know and can price them accordingly or take a % cut. I'm sure they'll be a lot better off however they decide to charge them.

There is also a big issue here for smaller traders who don't get paid as they're taking the money but have to rely on LN settling up after the event. Even a week or two makes a big difference for seasonal businesses who need to buy stock for their next event or seasonal workers who expect to be paid asap once they've done an event.

If you're going for a day, which I'm thinking of doing, then it is a ridiculous faff for the average punter.

Even if i was going for the weekend I would be reluctant to put too much on due to the hassle and wait of getting the money back after the event so I would still have to take cards or cash to load it once or twice whilst I was there.

I hope it fails spectacularly for them and spend is down when people decide I'll go without rather than mess about topping a wristband up to buy a burger.

Loads of people moaning on facebook and twitter.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1015926255099199&set=o.9875574201&type=1&permPage=1

That's people milling around one of the info points why they keep telling people it will get sorted, then it doesn't.

Loads of people on Coppings twitter moaning too although they're trying to say it affects a small amount of people, it is clearly affecting quite a few and it pretty fucking ridiculous whatever way you look at it if you can't buy any food or drink for an entire day

You are fucking kidding me?? Is there any way to validate that your tag is working before you get there?

Whatever it is, they'd better get it sorted by Friday or that predicted riot will occur.

Anyone on these forums on-site with a working tag??

Unfortunately I don't think there is, if they don't get it sorted tonight or offer an alternative it will definitely cause an uproar (Not that it already hasn't). Saw on the Download forums a few people have been told to go back in the Morning!

It's worked fine for everyone I've spoken to, myself and my group included. The biggest hassle has been finding somewhere to camp. It's pretty full. By the way, the tags appear to be working for everyone now according to Twitter. I think it might have been around 100 people it affected looking at the size of the queue at the info stand.