Walking time between stages

briddj

Thought I'd post this, which was a great help for us when we first went six years ago for planning after we found it online.

Obviously weather and bottle-necks for cross-overs between popular acts can make a huge difference and Arcadia has moved.

Bo0ttLgCMAA4qf9.jpg

Edited by briddj
  • Like 1

I don't know if I'd actually use that (I think you get a sense of distance after you've been there a few times), but it's quite interesting to look at. Who made it?

No idea, just something we found online before we went in 2009. You wouldn't use it religiously but it can give you an idea of what's realistic once the Clashfinder is out with confirmed times.

There is so many factors that can affect travel from A to B that unless you are walking when its empty and in dry weather it gives a false impression what is realistic.
take the Pyramid area if you are standing on the left hand side and all you are trying to do is reach the right hand side - easy when late at night and its empty but try that same journey when a big band is on and its a different story - sure some will claim ' they can push though any crowd ' but one day they will push their luck too far.
its better not to rush as after all there is so much to see.
I gave up trying to catch every band over thirty years ago.

There is so many factors that can affect travel from A to B that unless you are walking when its empty and in dry weather it gives a false impression what is realistic.
take the Pyramid area if you are standing on the left hand side and all you are trying to do is reach the right hand side - easy when late at night and its empty but try that same journey when a big band is on and its a different story - sure some will claim ' they can push though any crowd ' but one day they will push their luck too far.
its better not to rush as after all there is so much to see.
I gave up trying to catch every band over thirty years ago.

It doesn't give a false impression though - as it clearly states in the box this is if you are intending to walk straight from one stage to another without it being really busy.

What you are saying is pretty much "don't use a Sat nav to tell you how long a drive will take". Of course you would - but you would also know that things can happen in traffic to delay you. It's the same here.

You could run/drive faster and get there quicker. Or someone could need the loo/there could be a crash and it will take longer.

So, if you really want to get to see X and time is tight, you can get an impression of how long it will take if you head straight there.

Edited by briddj

I'm gunna practice my running (or to put it frank get fitter), being a keen runner it'll give me more of a reason to enjoy it. This will hopefully cut the times by half, and when it starts to get quite hectic late at night with clashes allow me to see just a few tunes more!

Yeah if you're by yourself I would say those estimates are fairly liberal, even taking into account foot traffic and conditions (of course it depends HOW bad it is!). Of course walking speed is a big factor too, in addition to about a thousand other things. Interesting to have a look at though.

I can never not get distracted. I remember walking from Jack White to Pixies, panicking all the way that I might miss some, and then... Oooooh, curry wraps! Stood much further back than I would have liked and missed he first song, thoughts during that were "I'm so happy I finally get to see the Pixies, but this curry wrap is amazing!". I'd do it all again, I really would.

The thing is what kind of nerd would want to spend the festival timing themselves with all those journeys,there must be a hundred there (I haven't counted as I would be that nerd too)

It must have taken them all week!

Just remember the headliners thread and the detail people were going into for the obviously non-existent "super group"! This is Glasto, everything is analysed to the nth degree.

The thing is what kind of nerd would want to spend the festival timing themselves with all those journeys,there must be a hundred there (I haven't counted as I would be that nerd too)

It must have taken them all week!

It's a second revision if I remember correctly, with input from others here. I don't think anyone actually timed themselves, you just get to know how long certain walks take and work from there.

It's a second revision if I remember correctly, with input from others here. I don't think anyone actually timed themselves, you just get to know how long certain walks take and work from there.

So complete guess work then lol,which we all know it is anyway given the different weather conditions and time of day.

Albeit an educated guess. :mda:

Edited by Thearg

Yeah the timings seem a bit off to me but I'm a fast walker, I always thought that a table showing the distances in meters using the actual shortest possible walking distance would be better, and possible using qGIS, but it would take ages to build all the vector files which tbh I can't be arsed to do.

Yeah the timings seem a bit off to me but I'm a fast walker, I always thought that a table showing the distances in meters using the actual shortest possible walking distance would be better, and possible using qGIS, but it would take ages to build all the vector files which tbh I can't be arsed to do.

Dont over complicate it with proper GIS. Just measure it on google earth (the glasto earth overlays).

If you wanted to get really clever with the network anylsis you could give terrain and a difficulty index to each pathway and build different models based on different conditions. Would be great for a student project.

Edited by RobertProsineckisLighter

Dont over complicate it with proper GIS. Just measure it on google earth (the glasto earth overlays).

If you wanted to get really clever with the network anylsis you could give terrain and a difficulty index to each pathway and build different models based on different conditions. Would be great for a student project.

Well that certainly over complicates, but as you say it if there are any students out there it really would be good project.

I'm not particularly very knowledgeable when it comes to GIS but I'm a data analyst an have recently discovered that people absolutely live it when I visualise data using QGIS so have been trying to learn as much as possible with QGIS, I'd have thought that building vectors of the path lines and the point data would probably still save time over individually measuring each of the distances in google earth.

Edited by fur_q

Well that certainly over complicates, but as you say it if there are any students out there it really would be good project.

I'm not particularly very knowledgeable when it comes to GIS but I'm a data analyst an have recently discovered that people absolutely live it when I visualise data using QGIS so have been trying to learn as much as possible with QGIS, I'd have thought that building vectors of the path lines and the point data would probably still save time over individually measuring each of the distances in google earth.

That's all well and good, but your analysis does not take account of when you need a mighty turd explosion when going from point A to point B via point Longdrops