SLAVES!

EZYSEY

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have Brakes split up now? Only just occurred to me how long it's been since the last album. Didn't Electric Soft Parade get back together or something?

Brakes were great weren't they? Alongside the silliness there's some beautiful songs on Beatific Visions too.

Edited by Bradders

Have Brakes split up now? Only just occurred to me how long it's been since the last album. Didn't Electric Soft Parade get back together or something?

Brakes were great weren't they? Alongside the silliness there's some beautiful songs on Beatific Visions too.

I would guess 'hiatus', especially with ESP reforming, recording and touring, as you say. I have to admit to having been influenced by poor reviews of the newest ESP album, and haven't even explored it. Shame as Holes in the Wall was a big album in my formative years.

Yes, Brakes are/were amazing, and one of my favourite ever live bands. I hate novelty, jokey music, but I never even found Brakes' very tongue in cheek stuff anything other than charming. Saw them several times at EOTR, when they were the unofficial house band and just had the best time. They would be phenomenal on a smallish stage at GF...

Ben

I saw Slaves at BST Hyde Park last year and I had only heard a bit about them and they blew me away and I thought they were fantastic and I'd say they're certainly more of a live band. But I do like their material but it is far better live.

Also has the album leaked or something as how are all the fans defending it?

I don't understand Sleaford Mods at all - one guy just goes off on one and the other guy just sits there swaying to the backing track and drinks a can

Would you rather he made it look live by fiddling with switches? It's a no bullshit approach and all the better.

I saw Slaves at BST Hyde Park last year and I had only heard a bit about them and they blew me away and I thought they were fantastic and I'd say they're certainly more of a live band. But I do like their material but it is far better live.

Also has the album leaked or something as how are all the fans defending it?

Yep.

What happened to me with Royal Blood last year is happening now again with Slaves. Loved the first few singles, really got into them, then not all that overwhelmed by the album & now beginning to get a bit bored of them. That said they were very good live and I'm sure that wont change anytime soon.

They are getting too big too fast. The fame has definitely gone to the lead singers head as when on stage hes thinking hes the best thing since Alex turner. The first singles that where heavy stuff where very good but they have changed.

Don't get me wrong, they are a great band and will be seeing them multiple times this summer, just not as good as when i first saw them.

Can't say I'm all that hot on them at the moment either, it seems like the general bones of something I'd be into, but I'm just not warming to them at the moment. Might have to try again later.

Not just you, I hate them. There's something so horribly contrived and phoney about them.

The punk band equivalent of the girl from Common People.

I've thought about this long and hard. After a weekend of watching and listening, my conclusion Slaves = dogeggs

I quite like that Skepta cover they do, but if a cover is their best song, that's a pretty damning indictment. I think it didn't help that the first one I watched/listened to was that 'cheer up' nonsense with the video in the park

Sleaford Mods? I can't get my head around them... It's basically just ranting to a backing track... They look like 45 year old cokeheads from your local pisshouse as well.

You've just nailed why I fucking love them

I seriously enjoyed Royal Bloods rise to prominence, but in extremely cautious of what their next move is, but I am looking forward to seeing where they go from here, Slaves too, they won't quite hit it off as big as RB I don't think but they make a massive noise live

The album does waver a little in the middle however definitely picks up near the end; the closing track in particular shows a lot of promise for the future

I think they need to avoid indulging in their sillier side or else they'll risk ending up being perceived as a novelty band; I hope whatever they do next returns to the darker tone that they had on their EP

The album does waver a little in the middle however definitely picks up near the end; the closing track in particular shows a lot of promise for the future

I think they need to avoid indulging in their sillier side or else they'll risk ending up being perceived as a novelty band; I hope whatever they do next returns to the darker tone that they had on their EP

Yeah, Sugar Coated Bitter Truth is a really great track