2015 - any help or advice needed ?

ramragon

Not really sure on that but I'd recommend shelling out on something like this

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00F5Q4F0U/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?qid=1437080729&sr=8-2&pi=AC_SY200_QL40&keywords=usb+battery+pack&dpPl=1&dpID=41PAnPcla0L&ref=plSrch

With that much power you could charge an iPhone around 10 times and probably still have a bit left over ! I've got one thats a bit smaller in capacity and I swear by it. Just fully charge it before you go and take whatever usb leads you need. That one's can charge plenty of times as well so it'll be great for years to come.

I find them by far the most efficient way to charge, just plug it in when I'm sitting round the tent

Im with Ramragon 

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00OJXVDAU?&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00&th=2

Thats our power bank - it contains almost 8 full (as in from 0% to 100%) iphone 6 charges.  Kept 2 of us in charge for 5 days at Glastonbury, and we used them a fair bit - I have a habit of wandering off and apparently needed "finding"  :banghead:

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks guys! 

God knows Glasto can be traumatic alright! The time I took my kids (2011) we queued in lashing rain and sticky mud for 5 (count them) 5 hours to even get IN! Worst ever! Kids had never been before but were absolute soldiers about it all! Needless to say we had a brilliant time once we had lugged our gear all the way across site and finally pitched our tent in family camping in Cockmill Meadow!

Just another quick question if you don't mind? What is the capacity of the festival? I go to Electric Picnic here in Ireland every year-it is 35,000-for some reason I am picturing KC being about the same-am I right?

Al :)

It grows every year, they've recently got a licence to grow the festival to 35000 but over the period of a few years. Capacity last year was around 20000, think they're pushing for around 25000 this year.

The arena was always quite compact in areas so they'll probably experiment with the layout to see how it copes with extra capacity. If it copes well this year it'll probably grow to around 30k next year or just under. They're doing it the sensible way rather than just selling 35000 tickets and keeping their fingers crossed it works. It sells out every year so they've got the crowds to grow it

Main stage & Woodlands are not covered, calling out is covered and so is chai wallahs (have been since I've been going anyway) but they can get rammed and you end up outside anyway, glow tent is just that, house party & riot jazz are covered and that's all I can actually think of for now! The site has lots of huge ancient trees which also give you a bit of shelter if you need it.

Main stage & Woodlands are not covered, calling out is covered and so is chai wallahs (have been since I've been going anyway) but they can get rammed and you end up outside anyway, glow tent is just that, house party & riot jazz are covered and that's all I can actually think of for now! The site has lots of huge ancient trees which also give you a bit of shelter if you need it.

Don't forget Tim Peaks Diner and the pub in the village green...plus the Soapbox and the kids tent?

I was wondering how many of the stages are outside and how many are in tents. Just thinking about sheltering from the rain for a bit in case the weather's like last year (which of course it won't be).

it will be scorching this year blue sky's and sun no need to hide from it unless your Scottish.

Thanks peeps

My 14 yr old girl just had the bright idea of rocking up on Thursday eve...we have a camper but as yet no live in vehicle pass and unlikely to end up with one.

Is there any chance they will let us park in car park fields then walk down in morning to get wristbands and bring tent on site? I am guessing not somehow. In which case we could drive back down the road and form an orderly queue at some point in the morning to get on site with tent asap...any idea what time would be best if they open gates at 9 I am thinking around 7.30 or am I jumping the gun?

Thanks, Al :)

If the layout hasnt changed - that is from this in 2014 ---- http://www.kendalcalling.co.uk/Map.jpg(im not embedding it just in case people think its this years)

Youd basically be going from the entrance - through the red campsite bearing LEFT (Great Holmes)

around the trees and then along a path to Family Camping.

From the main entrance to the exit of Great Holmes to the track is maybe a 5-10 minute gentle stroll without any kit (and Im REALLY lazy!)  We usually camp around where the Great Holmes sign is in the middle of the three in that map and it takes maybe 20 mins from car to tent with our trolley - we do get there early though - so parking is closer - if you get there warlier you'll be able to walk direct and not through the fire lanes though!

Compared to anything at Glastonbury its a walk in the park (no pun intended!)

Hi Stu thanks for this. How busy does Great Holmes get in terms of tents being very close together? Is it mad busy or can you actually see some grass when every one is in? Two of us are arriving on the Thursday as advance party with 3 tents as rest of gang of 9 arriving Friday. We have mix of adults and kids so trying to figure out where to camp. Don't need family but don't want it to be mad busy. So not sure whether it' would be better to schlep over to Shire or quiet camping. Your and other experienced insight gratefully received. Cheers

Hi Stu thanks for this. How busy does Great Holmes get in terms of tents being very close together? Is it mad busy or can you actually see some grass when every one is in? Two of us are arriving on the Thursday as advance party with 3 tents as rest of gang of 9 arriving Friday. We have mix of adults and kids so trying to figure out where to camp. Don't need family but don't want it to be mad busy. So not sure whether it' would be better to schlep over to Shire or quiet camping. Your and other experienced insight gratefully received. Cheers

I'd head over to family camping rather than standard general camping, they don't expect it to be silent over there but it'll be much better for the kids and will avoid them being woken up by loonies and drunks running round and shouting at 4 am. There's normally a decent amount of space over there. Personally I wouldn't take the kids into general camping but this maybes just me !

Hi,

Does anyone know how stringent the car checks are on the way into the campervan field? I'm not thinking owt dodgy, just jars of food and the like. Are security likely to root through a mountain of kids and camping gear to check?

Thanks.

They open the occasional door and look in, we're a family and they've never checked us. Think most caravans will have glass in them somewhere as they're not normally just used for festivals. Most caravan owners aren't likely to use a jar of food then smash the jar in te field. Just put them in the storage cupboards and you should be fine. I'll have a few jars with me, do every year. Having an oven in the van means you can do stuff like pasta bakes etc so a lot of that food comes in jars.

Just dispose of the glass properly, we tend to put ours in a bag and take it home and get rid of it there.

Thanks. We're coming in a folding camper tent thing so maybe we'll just put stuff in there if needs be.

Also, do you know if they are really strict about the 7x7 pitch size? We would probably need a a wee bit of extra space in order to put our awning/porch bit up, would this cause a problem do you think? It really won't be much extra.

I'd head over to family camping rather than standard general camping, they don't expect it to be silent over there but it'll be much better for the kids and will avoid them being woken up by loonies and drunks running round and shouting at 4 am. There's normally a decent amount of space over there. Personally I wouldn't take the kids into general camping but this maybes just me !

Thanks for the advice Ram. Hopefully get to see you f2f over the weekend!

Do you not have a Thursday entry ticket Al?

Sorry for delay in answering (very, very long day at work yesterday-didn't get near here!) I don't have Thursday entry no. I'm guessing that banjaxes us for parking on site? Any suggestions where is a good spot nearby? Am I reading it right that they don't open the gates until 9am on Friday? Does that mean they don't let you park until then or they won't issue wristbands until then? 

Thanks everyone for advice by the way-this thread is great for those of us who haven't been before :)

You could look at Lowther caravan/campervan park, it's 2 miles from the festival. We decided to book in on Wednesday night to have a relaxing stress free Thursday morning. Probably set you back £25 for the night but not too bad for all of you.

http://www.lowther-holidaypark.co.uk/

Edited by ramragon

You could look at Lowther caravan/campervan park, it's 2 miles from the festival. We decided to book in on Wednesday night to have a relaxing stress free Thursday morning. Probably set you back £25 for the night but not too bad for all of you.

http://www.lowther-holidaypark.co.uk/

Thanks-I was thinking more of being a cheapskate and finding a free spot but then maybe that's less realistic in UK-it seems to be very easy here in Ireland. Do you know what time they start letting you park on Friday? 

Al, I think you can still get a Thursday ticket.

Ramrage posted a link in the tickets section at the top of the thread.

Probably a lot less hassle than finding somewhere nearby plus you get to see James :-)

You could in theory get into the car park but not the arena without one. I'm assuming you have a car park ticket so as part of your bundle of tickets you might get past the first guy who checks if you have prepaid parking.

It will probably say on the main site that you can't sleep in your car but plenty people seem to do that. Especially on the Sunday. In last year's monsoon plenty folk slept in their car on the Saturday. Have done that myself but not at kc.