2015 - any help or advice needed ?

ramragon

I guess after how well used the last few years threads have been its probably time to start one for this year.

if anyone has any questions they wanna ask about Kendal Calling or need some advice or clarification on something then fire away. It doesn't matter how trivial you think the question is im sure you'll get a response. Nobody on here works for the festival so the answers you'll get are based on our experiences going to it over past years. Don't hit us if we're slightly wrong though as the rules, layouts and plans change a lot

Plus if any non members want to join to ask anything please feel free. The more the merrier

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi , speaking hypothetically here, I was wondering as I'm going to Kendal calling this year (Cant wait for it !) how likely am I to be searched / bag searched . Me and a group of friends are going (all 16 years old) and where wondering how likely it would be to get us and our bag searched ?

Just in case one of them decides to bring a few beers ;)

Thanks In advance !

Edited by FestivalRookie

If you look under 18 then there's a strong possibility that you'll get searched. So you'll either have to come prepared to have any alcohol (or anything else you're not supposed to have) confiscated or have some form of ID that shows you're over 18!!!

The festival usually operates a 'challenge 21/25' policy so be prepared.

Hi , speaking hypothetically here, I was wondering as I'm going to Kendal calling this year (Cant wait for it !) how likely am I to be searched / bag searched . Me and a group of friends are going (all 16 years old) and where wondering how likely it would be to get us and our bag searched ?

Just in case one of them decides to bring a few beers ;)

Thanks In advance !

Like the other guy said, you'll probably get searched if they believe you might have booze. But if it's well concealed you might get through. Festival security don't have time to search every person or people would be queuing all weekend :wink:

I've heard on the grape vine from a friend that's doing some work that they are trying to clamp down on people underage bringing drink in this year as there's been an increase on incidents. It's likely this year will be harder to get drink in if you're under age. As some have said above just be prepared to loose it if you try.. I always found sticking the booze at the bottom of a large backpack and covering it with underwear and clothing worked. They don't seem to keen to route to hard when it's like that :cool:

I've heard on the grape vine from a friend that's doing some work that they are trying to clamp down on people underage bringing drink in this year as there's been an increase on incidents. It's likely this year will be harder to get drink in if you're under age. As some have said above just be prepared to loose it if you try.. I always found sticking the booze at the bottom of a large backpack and covering it with underwear and clothing worked. They don't seem to keen to route to hard when it's like that :cool:

What type of 'incidents'?

Ha nothing fun, kids being to drunk, spats where security had to get involved, and people complaining about tents being urinated on etc. They all get recorded as incidents, apparently there was a larger proportion involving our younger brethren last year most were recorded as alcohol involved.

This might be a stupid question but I've not seen it written anywhere but, after you've got in to the camping fields and set up your tent etc. can you get back to your car for more supplies or do i have to take everything with me? can you go to and from camping to car freely? I'm thinking it would be good to keep extra dry clothes in my car, more beer etc. as i don't think i will be able to carry everything in one trip.

It's easy to get back in and out to your car, once your wristbands on you can just go out. Best bet is to take as much as you can carry on the first trip, set the tent up and have a few beers. I'd wait until the entry gets a bit quieter to go back and get the rest of your stuff.

No trouble, the first few festivals we did we tried it in 1 trip and we're laden down like Clint Eastwoods mule, decided after that it was much easier taking the tent, your backpack and beer in on the first trip, get set up and then get the rest at your leasure. Much more relaxed !

Has anyone got a list of essentials that you should take with you, apart from the obvious i.e. tent an beer! I've been camping loads of times so I've got a good idea of what to take but I've not done a festival before so am wondering if there are any golden nuggets of advice that the regular festival goers can offer.

I think this must have been done somewhere else before so if it has then i apologise for not looking hard enough.

Something to carry water in is handy. There are waterpoints dotted around the edges of each field so a carrier is a good idea. Toilet paper and a torch are also essentials. The cash machines are a ripoff and have been known to run out so we take some emergency reddies also

No to toilet roll Take lots of those small packets of tissues from £-Land or wherever, easier to carry and wrapped up, so fairly waterproof And don't forget the hand sanitizer (although last year a lot of the turdii had it in)

My essentials list that I have built up over years: Below is a basic version of it

Hand sanitizer liquid

Toilet roll

Plastic bottle with wide neck (For using in the tent as a make shift wee catcher during the night)

Arab shemagh (folds up to nothing & keeps you warm at night & cool in the day)

A small day bag (fold up when getting there & use all weekend for valuables etc never off my back all weekend)

Miliitary grade poncho.....If you use it, you will bless the day you got it. mine has done loads of festivals

Ant-acid/rennie (Nothing worse than getting stomach ache at a festival)

Pain killers for morning headaches

Re-hydration packs (Dioralyte sachets) these are my lifeblood. they will rehydrate you & also work as a hangover cure......worth their weight in gold.

I could write a list a mile long but long post's are bad ju-ju lol.

make sure you take equal summer/warm clothes as you cant be 100% on british weather lol.

My final top tip:

Take a clean change of comfortable clothes & leave them in the car (Or wrap them in thick plastic & gaffa tape the bag shut) , If the weekend is hell on earth & a total washout. no matter what happens you will have a change of clothes to drive/go home in.

I got this tip from a old hippy at Glastonbury & the next year was probably the worst rain I have ever lived through.....but the drive home was very warm & comfortable. lol