The Rise and Rise of UKIP

wee_insomniac

There`s truth in the line about our " extravagant lifestyle " ?............. my goodness.

It's true that Scotland is over-compensated against the UK average, there's no getting away from that.

For Scotland to be at the UK average, Scotland would have to carry out a huge public spending cost cutting exercise, that would need an extra 15+% of cuts over anything the tories are doing.

You know, the plan Alex had for you, that you supported.

Extravagant may not be the most appropriate word, but the extra cash funds free universities, free prescriptions, etc, which we don't get south of the border. I've heard you/LJS argue that these things are down to the choice of the Scotish Govt, but those choices are a lot easier with a bit more cash per head.

They're also only possible due to there being fewer heads. Less needs to be spent on overheads and administration so its easier to get more for your money when you're working with a smaller population.

• 5 weeks later...

They're also only possible due to there being fewer heads. Less needs to be spent on overheads and administration so its easier to get more for your money when you're working with a smaller population.

eh? That's the opposite of the commonly held view, that large enterprises have proportionally cheaper overheads via economies of scale.

eh? That's the opposite of the commonly held view, that large enterprises have proportionally cheaper overheads via economies of scale.

Its absolute cost not relative cost.

There are roughly 60,000 18yr olds in scotland and 600,000 in england. 35% of school leavers in scotland go to university and almost 50% of school leavers in england go to university. At £9k per year for a 3 year course, thats £550m for scotland to fund uni places and £81000m in england. Until the proportion of scots going to uni is closer to that in england I'm happy to fund it.

*Its also worth noting that it only applies to scottish universities and they still have to pay the full fees in english unis. The welsh and irish both subsidise any school leavers going to uni in the UK.

Edited by krisskross

Until the proportion of scots going to uni is closer to that in england I'm happy to fund it.

I'm happy to fund it to within a Barnet type arrangement whereby the extra costs of running Scotland are recognised, and where Scotland chooses how it's money is spent.

I'm less happy about the poorest in Scottish society being the ones who are denied money for that middle-class privilege (the poor got it free anyway).

And what's happened in England with higher fees needs considering against what is happening in Scotland. Amazingly, higher fees have increased the proportion who go to uni from poorer families in England, so it might be that what's happening in Scotland is a bad thing from all angles.

I noticed they are starting to align themselves more and more with the Tories as we get closer to the election. Making a coalition with them easier. Announcement today about backing Osborns cuts and making sure they are delivered if they are in a position of influence (coalition ) in the the next Parliment.

I just don't see how ukip could end up in coalition. The first past the post system works against them and they will have done amazingly if they end up with 5 seats. I just don't see how they can gain enough seats to have an influence.

I'm happy to fund it to within a Barnet type arrangement whereby the extra costs of running Scotland are recognised, and where Scotland chooses how it's money is spent.

I'm less happy about the poorest in Scottish society being the ones who are denied money for that middle-class privilege (the poor got it free anyway).

And what's happened in England with higher fees needs considering against what is happening in Scotland. Amazingly, higher fees have increased the proportion who go to uni from poorer families in England, so it might be that what's happening in Scotland is a bad thing from all angles.

The proportion from poorer families was increasing in england before the fees were introduced. Its just continued at the same rate while middle-class rates have dropped.

Its not middle class privilege, scotland are attracting more people to university, the proportion that come for poorer families is less important because the increase is across the whole population.

You only need 1 seat in theory....

one seat equals almost no influence, either inside or outside of a coalition.

People seem to forget all of how many seats the libdems have, how big a proportion their vote was, and that their vote was gained from all* corners of the nation.

(* except NI, but that's near enough autonomous in its politics).