Electronica/Dance

bennyhana22

9 hours ago, lukethekid said:

Early Joy O is still such a joy to the ears:

Holy shit, this is bringing back amazing memories. RINSED this set back in Uni, along with the Jamie xx Colette mix. 

Was chatting to a mate yesterday about how that era (lets say roughly 2009 or 2010 up until about 2012) felt so exciting music wise. You had all these nascent sub genres flourishing with producers like Joy O, FitzGerald, xxxy, Sepalcure absolutely killing it, and the music just had this incredible vibe that remains unbeaten to this day for me. Maybe it's the mix of bass with the thick synths and rnb vocal samples, I'm not sure. 

5 minutes ago, Zacko said:

Holy shit, this is bringing back amazing memories. RINSED this set back in Uni, along with the Jamie xx Colette mix. 

Was chatting to a mate yesterday about how that era (lets say roughly 2009 or 2010 up until about 2012) felt so exciting music wise. You had all these nascent sub genres flourishing with producers like Joy O, FitzGerald, xxxy, Sepalcure absolutely killing it, and the music just had this incredible vibe that remains unbeaten to this day for me. Maybe it's the mix of bass with the thick synths and rnb vocal samples, I'm not sure. 

Amazing time for electronic music. Julio Bashmore was another one that really stood out for me at that time as well. Some of the music that was being made just fantastic. I watched Joy O at I think it was either Hospitality or Metropolis in the Custard Factory in Birmingham around 2010. I dunno if you’d ever been in there but it was at the time when they drained the lake and had the main dance floor in there. There was like a garage door to the left of it with another room behind that. The DJ booth was on a stage at the end of the room but you could actually get on the stage and dance on it, he played in that room and I remember being on the stage and just leaning on the booth in amazement in the sounds that he was playing it was basically an extended version of this mix with other people’s tunes thrown as well obviously. A breathtaking set. 

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, lukethekid said:

Amazing time for electronic music. Julio Bashmore was another one that really stood out for me at that time as well. Some of the music that was being made just fantastic. I watched Joy O at I think it was either Hospitality or Metropolis in the Custard Factory in Birmingham around 2010. I dunno if you’d ever been in there but it was at the time when they drained the lake and had the main dance floor in there. There was like a garage door to the left of it with another room behind that. The DJ booth was on a stage at the end of the room but you could actually get on the stage and dance on it, he played in that room and I remember being on the stage and just leaning on the booth in amazement in the sounds that he was playing it was basically an extended version of this mix with other people’s tunes thrown as well obviously. A breathtaking set. 

Ah I never went but I've had mates raving about those Custard Factory nights for years and years!

Can't believe I didn't mention Bashmore, I remember once at Motion I heard Battle for Middle You eight separate times over the course of the night. Every single time it went OFF. 

God, I'm so nostalgic now. 

1 hour ago, Zacko said:

Ah I never went but I've had mates raving about those Custard Factory nights for years and years!

Can't believe I didn't mention Bashmore, I remember once at Motion I heard Battle for Middle You eight separate times over the course of the night. Every single time it went OFF. 

God, I'm so nostalgic now. 

FFS. That’s ridiculous.

New WHP venue is brilliant. I had a ball. Hessle Audio to headline the Pyramid. The Concourse stage is class.

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Upside down frowner said:

Didn’t pick the actually event but looking forward to visiting the new WHP venue next Saturday.

Depending how it goes I might book for the Luciano night the week after too 

I went a few years to see Four Tet there, it was good but it obviously wasn’t as furnished with the lights and speaker set up that they have installed for this run of Warehouse Project events. There was only the main room open as well. Wanting to go and check it out in all of its glory now that it is all up and running but feeling my raving days are coming to an end now. Can’t be arsed waiting for trains in Piccadilly station at 8 in the morning back to Liverpool anymore. It isn’t too bad if you go on a Friday, there’s a 5am train but even that now is a bit of a tall order. I’m usually in bed by 2 after a night out these days. 

Edited by lukethekid

4 hours ago, lukethekid said:

I went a few years to see Four Tet there, it was good but it obviously wasn’t as furnished with the lights and speaker set up that they have installed for this run of Warehouse Project events. There was only the main room open as well. Wanting to go and check it out in all of its glory now that it is all up and running but feeling my raving days are coming to an end now. Can’t be arsed waiting for trains in Piccadilly station at 8 in the morning back to Liverpool anymore. It isn’t too bad if you go on a Friday, there’s a 5am train but even that now is a bit of a tall order. I’m usually in bed by 2 after a night out these days. 

Can’t you get a taxi? I live slap bang in middle of Manchester and Liverpool and I never pay more than 50 quid in a taxi home. 

19 minutes ago, Tommy Dickfingers said:

Can’t you get a taxi? I live slap bang in middle of Manchester and Liverpool and I never pay more than 50 quid in a taxi home. 

After paying for train fare to Manchester, the cost of a Warehouse Project ticket and then the cost of a night out on top of that am I fuck paying 80 quid in a taxi.

16 hours ago, Tommy Dickfingers said:

FFS. That’s ridiculous.

New WHP venue is brilliant. I had a ball. Hessle Audio to headline the Pyramid. The Concourse stage is class.

Had a great time on Saturday!

Got in early to see Avalon Emerson, who was fab. Deserved a later spot as the cavernous main room hadn’t filled up, but the line-up was so stacked.  Agree with you, Concourse is a brilliant space...loved dancing behind the DJ booth! Hessle and John Hopkins had the place rocking. Flitted in between there and watching some of Peggy Gou. Four Tet was awesome.. was done in by this point, so left after he played “Opal”.

Liked the venue, but toilet queue for the women on our group was a bit ridiculous. Apparently we were supposed to bring ID for checking against the tickets we bought? I’m 43, so haven’t bought ID to a gig since the mid-90s! Guy let is in ok though, said to just bring it next time. Couple of sniffer dogs on the gates, walked past them with no trouble. Didn’t get patted down, just a metal detector wand. Bouncers friendly enough, taking piss out of my balding head. Crowd were good, friendly and chatty.

Don’t go clubbing much these days, a couple of choice nights per year plus Glastonbury, so good to still have positive experiences :)

• Upvote 2

31 minutes ago, lukethekid said:

After paying for train fare to Manchester, the cost of a Warehouse Project ticket and then the cost of a night out on top of that am I fuck paying 80 quid in a taxi.

Haha fair enough! It is a dear do like at least you’ve got a lot of cross over in the bookings at Liverpool. Some booked on a Saturday for Manchester play Liverpool on a Friday vice versa. 

2 minutes ago, The Red Telephone said:

Had a great time on Saturday!

Got in early to see Avalon Emerson, who was fab. Deserved a later spot as the cavernous main room hadn’t filled up, but the line-up was so stacked.  Agree with you, Concourse is a brilliant space...loved dancing behind the DJ booth! Hessle and John Hopkins had the place rocking. Flitted in between there and watching some of Peggy Gou. Four Tet was awesome.. was done in by this point, so left after he played “Opal”.

Liked the venue, but toilet queue for the women on our group was a bit ridiculous. Apparently we were supposed to bring ID for checking against the tickets we bought? I’m 43, so haven’t bought ID to a gig since the mid-90s! Guy let is in ok though, said to just bring it next time. Couple of sniffer dogs on the gates, walked past them with no trouble. Didn’t get patted down, just a metal detector wand. Bouncers friendly enough, taking piss out of my balding head. Crowd were good, friendly and chatty.

Don’t go clubbing much these days, a couple of choice nights per year plus Glastonbury, so good to still have positive experiences :)

Haha I have a Romani middle name which is very unusual and they bouncers took my ID off me, asked me what is was then treated me very suspiciously once I explained ?. Crowd was good wasn’t it WHP can sometimes be full of little dickheads but everyone was alright. Glad you had a good time.

Toilet was a bit mad, I started walking in from the other side to avoid the drug and ale fuelled panicked bottleneck at the entry, a load of people gawping around flapping wondering where their mates are bless them. There is room for more toilets though so hopefully they figure it out as the nights continue.

I’m back for Homobloc in a couple of weeks which after going seeing the venue this weekend I couldn’t be more excited for. Probably gonna head to Bicep curated night as well as the line up is sick.

Hessle Audio one of if not my favourite set I’ve seen this year along with their Glastonbury one. Dying for an ID on the tune that sampled Public Enenmy “bass how low can you go!” Remember it?

Did you catch any of Four Tet and Skrillex? Curious to see how that panned out with his dodgy Brostep tunes. 

HA were great - I do remember that tune now you’ve mentioned it! Don’t know the track name though. Hopefully they’ll be back in the SE Corner next year. Random other tunes heard during the night were that old T2 garage tune “Heartbroken” and Four Tet playing a remix of NeYo.

A couple of mates stayed for a bit longer and caught a bit of Skrillex. When they got back the comment was “Cleared the room within 5 minutes playing generic dubstep with fart/ squelchy noises added in every now and again”

Couldn’t believe the size of The Depot! We must have been about 12 rows back for Four Tet...went for a chill about halfway through his set and walked for what seemed like 10 minutes to get to the seats at the back.

Other nights look really good, jealous that you’re going again!  Tempted by Underworld, but their 2016 West Holts set was so perfect in my eyes that anything less than that might be a disappointment.

22 minutes ago, Tommy Dickfingers said:

Did you catch any of Four Tet and Skrillex? Curious to see how that panned out with his dodgy Brostep tunes. 

I saw a video I don’t know if it was Four Tet and Skrillex I’m assuming so, they played Bippity Boppity Boop from Cinderella. 

36 minutes ago, Tommy Dickfingers said:

Haha fair enough! It is a dear do like at least you’ve got a lot of cross over in the bookings at Liverpool. Some booked on a Saturday for Manchester play Liverpool on a Friday vice versa. 

I’m not that arsed anymore to be honest, the venues here aren’t great (I’ve not been to that new space at Brantley Moore Dock). Camp & Furnace & Invisible Wind Factory are alright but in comparison to that new Warehouse Project venue is there any point when you know things can be done that well? Don’t know if you ever went to The Kazimier but Liverpool losing that and Nation (formerly Cream) was just a massive kick in the teeth. 

3 minutes ago, lukethekid said:

I saw a video I don’t know if it was Four Tet and Skrillex I’m assuming so, they played Bippity Boppity Boop from Cinderella. 

I’m not that arsed anymore to be honest, the venues here aren’t great (I’ve not been to that new space at Brantley Moore Dock). Camp & Furnace & Invisible Wind Factory are alright but in comparison to that new Warehouse Project venue is there any point when you know things can be done that well? Don’t know if you ever went to The Kazimier but Liverpool losing that and Nation (formerly Cream) was just a massive kick in the teeth. 

Not been to the new WHP yet, but I liked The Invisible Wind factory. Saw Amelie Lens & Rebekah there 12 months ago. I really liked the place

Nation waa alright, but it had a bit of an edge to it. Seen some proper scraps in there

Edited by FuzzyDunlop

1 minute ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

Not been to the new WHP yet, but I liked The Invisible Wind factory. Saw Amelie Lens & Rebekah there 12 months ago. I really liked the place

Saw Four Tet there last year and GZA there earlier this year. I think it’s alright, potentially prefer downstairs in there though, Dan Avery was playing downstairs on the Four Tet night. 

12 hours ago, Upside down frowner said:

Didn’t pick the actually event but looking forward to visiting the new WHP venue next Saturday.

Depending how it goes I might book for the Luciano night the week after too 

I'm doing this one, not normally my  thing but Girlfriend booked us tickets. Excited to see what the venue is like.

6 minutes ago, Tommy Dickfingers said:

I thought IWF was decent I was in basement for Young Marco and Palms Trax time ago. Never went Kaz or Nation, Nation was full of dickheads from around mine reliving their Beefa holiday. 

Not mad on any other spaces in Liverpool to be honest.

Kaz was unreal, saw some amazing things in there. The early Chibuku days in Nation were unreal as well. All depended what nights you went to. If you went to the Cream nights you know the clientele that they attract. Similar to Warehouse Project there are nights that will attract a certain punter and all that.

6 hours ago, Upside down frowner said:

Had some good nights at Masque in Liverpool for Circus. 

Spent many an evening roaming around The Masque at both Circus and Chibuku. Was such a great club, The Theatre was such a great room for clubbing. The crowd looking down on the DJ rather than up was such a key part to the feeling of the place. I think my favourite set that I saw in there was Laurent Garnier open to close, I think he did about 7 hours and he went through the whole spectrum of music, it was unbelievable. Richie Hawtin, Ricardo Villalobos and Paul Kalkbrenner were all highlights too for me in there. When they changed it from The Masque to East Village Arts Club it really lost its identity and I’m not surprised that Circus have decided to move their events to Camp & Furnace and now to this new space on Bramley Moore dock. 

Edited by lukethekid

On 10/28/2019 at 7:34 AM, Tommy Dickfingers said:

Haha I have a Romani middle name which is very unusual and they bouncers took my ID off me, asked me what is was then treated me very suspiciously once I explained ?. Crowd was good wasn’t it WHP can sometimes be full of little dickheads but everyone was alright. Glad you had a good time.

Toilet was a bit mad, I started walking in from the other side to avoid the drug and ale fuelled panicked bottleneck at the entry, a load of people gawping around flapping wondering where their mates are bless them. There is room for more toilets though so hopefully they figure it out as the nights continue.

I’m back for Homobloc in a couple of weeks which after going seeing the venue this weekend I couldn’t be more excited for. Probably gonna head to Bicep curated night as well as the line up is sick.

Hessle Audio one of if not my favourite set I’ve seen this year along with their Glastonbury one. Dying for an ID on the tune that sampled Public Enenmy “bass how low can you go!” Remember it?

I wasn't there but I'm wondering, could it be a reversion/sample of the Simon Harris track, or even the back in the day original?

Here is the original to get you started:

https://open.spotify.com/track/6uUevuVZVyD5QOUi3mQosb

15 hours ago, lukethekid said:

Spent many an evening roaming around The Masque at both Circus and Chibuku. Was such a great club, The Theatre was such a great room for clubbing. The crowd looking down on the DJ rather than up was such a key part to the feeling of the place. I think my favourite set that I saw in there was Laurent Garnier open to close, I think he did about 7 hours and he went through the whole spectrum of music, it was unbelievable. Richie Hawtin, Ricardo Villalobos and Paul Kalkbrenner were all highlights too for me in there. When they changed it from The Masque to East Village Arts Club it really lost its identity and I’m not surprised that Circus have decided to move their events to Camp & Furnace and now to this new space on Bramley Moore dock. 

It is a while since we came over but agree it was a great place to feel part of an event  as the crowd got into a decent set. We also came for a couple of the camp and furnace nights but it wasn’t as good.

Always enjoyed clubbing in Liverpool, didn’t mind the rough edges at Nation personally, should be over on Boxing Day so hoping someone puts on a good night