Rock Werchter 2015

foolee

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@dietediet and fellow Belgians- assuming media has some kind of power in future

decisions regarding bands, which bands were considered a success and which were considered disappointment according to the local media?

Hmm, the ones I've seen stuff about most often:

- Positive: Patti Smith, Damien Rice, Florence, Ryan Adams, Muse, Alt-J, the Belgian acts

- Negative: The Script, Pharrell, The Prodigy, Kid Ink, ILoveMakonnen

The others were more mixed reviews. Like I said before: I hope the general overwhelming response about Patti Smith, Damien Rice, Ryan Adams, ... will influence future bookings towards more gems for the Barn, as an alternative to the more mainstream stuff on other stages. 

Hmm, the ones I've seen stuff about most often:

- Positive: Patti Smith, Damien Rice, Florence, Ryan Adams, Muse, Alt-J, the Belgian acts

- Negative: The Script, Pharrell, The Prodigy, Kid Ink, ILoveMakonnen

The others were more mixed reviews. Like I said before: I hope the general overwhelming response about Patti Smith, Damien Rice, Ryan Adams, ... will influence future bookings towards more gems for the Barn, as an alternative to the more mainstream stuff on other stages.

Thanx! Your answer gave me hope :)

I didnt see the rest of the negative ones but Pharrel should be banned from events like Rock Werchter..

Thanx! Your answer gave me hope :)

I didnt see the rest of the negative ones but Pharrel should be banned from events like Rock Werchter..

Great idea. I recommend banning everyone. Festivals are much more fun when there isn't music involved. 

Great idea. I recommend banning everyone. Festivals are much more fun when there isn't music involved.

Sorry mate, didnt mean to offend neither you or Mr. Williams. This festival just got me use to hearing live music and entertain me without the need for half-naked female dancers paying tribute to adidas.

Its not a matter of taste, actually I love some of the songs that he (pressed) play very much. Its a matter of the bar the organization have set a long time ago, especially with headliners.

Sorry mate, didnt mean to offend neither you or Mr. Williams. This festival just got me use to hearing live music and entertain me without the need for half-naked female dancers paying tribute to adidas.

Its not a matter of taste, actually I love some of the songs that he (pressed) play very much. Its a matter of the bar the organization have set a long time ago, especially with headliners.

Agree on the half-naked dancers, but other from that he actually was pretty decent live. 

Agree on the half-naked dancers, but other from that he actually was pretty decent live. 

Me and my group(there were 24 of us) thought he was so horrible that after a few songs(5-6) we left. There was not even one decent band on that Friday, Mumford was horrendous and Pharrell even worse....

Me and my group(there were 24 of us) thought he was so horrible that after a few songs(5-6) we left. There was not even one decent band on that Friday, Mumford was horrendous and Pharrell even worse....

Mate you missed The Cat Empire !

They were incredible on Friday ! The second best act of the festival !

Oy, that's your opinions and there are others! My Friday was pretty fun. 

Had an incredible time - Not the best line up this year but overall, probably the best RW I've been to!

I'll admit there are a couple of nights that I can't fully remember (Chemical Brothers & The Prodigy) but there were so many acts that really blew me away. 

It was my first time seeing a few bands too like First Aid Kit, Years & Years, Hozier, Jungle, Circa Waves and yet I was really impressed with all of them!

I can't put in to words how amazing the last night was though.. Kasabian and then Muse was absolutely class. That setlist by Muse will live with me forever.

See you next year Werchter!!!

Another great festival indeed... 

However, RW need to seriously consider opening up the side of the tents... the heat inside was a joke. It is the only festival with closed sides in tents. I missed Passenger and MGMT last year, and missed on Alt-J this year as it was overcrowded!

There was a slight improvement on the size of water (if I'm not mistaken) but still very expensive... but good options outside the festival site, which were good.

Apart from that, super festival and very well organised...!

However, RW need to seriously consider opening up the side of the tents... the heat inside was a joke. 

I think those tents were designed to be closed so they could effectively use climate control inside but yeah, it doesn't work when it's high 20's. 

There have been a few times where me and my friends missed acts simply because the crowd/heat was too much in the tents. I wonder if they will consider converting Klub C to an open air stage sometime soon. The size of the festival / crowds for that stage would certainly warrant it.

I think those tents were designed to be closed so they could effectively use climate control inside but yeah, it doesn't work when it's high 20's. 

There have been a few times where me and my friends missed acts simply because the crowd/heat was too much in the tents. I wonder if they will consider converting Klub C to an open air stage sometime soon. The size of the festival / crowds for that stage would certainly warrant it.

Yeah another open air stage would be the more logical thing to do, dont really see the point of having both Klub C and The Barn as they are almost identical with a slight capacity difference. I know some acts will have liked playing indoors, but surely a second open air stage would allow for bigger bookings on that one too and then RW could keep the smaller acts in a tent. Just pointless having acts like Elbow/Alt J indoors not clashing with anyone so that half the people who want to see them dont get a chance.

Yeah another open air stage would be the more logical thing to do, dont really see the point of having both Klub C and The Barn as they are almost identical with a slight capacity difference. I know some acts will have liked playing indoors, but surely a second open air stage would allow for bigger bookings on that one too and then RW could keep the smaller acts in a tent. Just pointless having acts like Elbow/Alt J indoors not clashing with anyone so that half the people who want to see them dont get a chance.

Im no expert, but dont forget that Elbow were suppose to start while Foo Fighters were still on and Alt-j while Ben Howard was on (I know Balthazar played instead but they were supposed to play before Alt-j, hence I guess they drew less crowd).

I think in both cases, playing in a second open stage would be much less fun for the audience. In addition, many times when I was in the mainstage I could hear the music from the tents. I think the festival site is too small for that.

Im no expert, but dont forget that Elbow were suppose to start while Foo Fighters were still on and Alt-j while Ben Howard was on (I know Balthazar played instead but they were supposed to play before Alt-j, hence I guess they drew less crowd).

I think in both cases, playing in a second open stage would be much less fun for the audience. In addition, many times when I was in the mainstage I could hear the music from the tents. I think the festival site is too small for that.

Fair points, but I set off 10-15 minutes before the end of Faith No More and stood no chance of getting in for Elbow as much as I tried even though the sings outside said there was space, it was dangerous trying to get in/out which shouldn't be a factor. I've been in some bad crushes before, but I havent seen anything like that. Setting off thirty minutes before an act starts and not being able to see them is also not acceptable too, it may have been a little easier if Foo's were on but I still think there'd of been thousands outside the tent pushing to get in.

I tried standing outside for Elbow and couldnt hear a thing so just left and as I wandered past alt-J the sound wasnt clear from close outside either. I agree about the hearing the music from the tents from mainstage though. That did seem to only be when dance acts like SBTRKT were on for me and maybe didn't have their bass mixed properly and was too loud possibly.

Yeah any act is better indoors but when a huge act is on in a tent, it just isn't suitable I'd rather be able to hear/see them clearly outdoors than arrive an 60-45 minutes early just to squeeze into a dangerously full tent. I think if RW planned a little better and removed a lot of their pointless stalls they could shuffle stuff around to ake enough room for a second open air stage.

Yeah any act is better indoors but when a huge act is on in a tent, it just isn't suitable I'd rather be able to hear/see them clearly outdoors than arrive an 60-45 minutes early just to squeeze into a dangerously full tent. I think if RW planned a little better and removed a lot of their pointless stalls they could shuffle stuff around to ake enough room for a second open air stage.

They've been doing studies on that for years now, with the intention of pulling in a 4th stage in 2014 or 2015. But it just wasn't an option with the current attendance, area and sound overlaps. The most explicit option they've looked at was putting a new stage at what is now the North West Walls area. But that would only have been possible with alternating sets (with Main Stage), which would turn out a disaster because that area is too small for a huge crowd. 

Fantastic festival once again with cracking weather. There are still a few tips Rock Werchter could improve on although it is a very well organised festival!

1.The fact the tents were so hot, more air con is needed for sure, it would also be helpful if they were slightly bigger or just had a screen with an amp outside so you could hear it and listen while chilling with a beer on the grass if you couldn't get in.

2. More space! Found it quite difficult to get from the main stage bars later and the evening and always struggled to get from main stage to the nice food area as it was so rammed and such a small entrance. 

3. Better variety of drinks, could really have done with some rum/JD/vodka and coke with the heat this year to mix it up a little. 

Now here's my verdict on the bands I saw.

Eagles of Death Metal 5/10 - Only saw the last couple of songs because of arriving late but sounded good.

James Bay 9/10 - Wasn't expecting much but blew me away, going to buy his album now because I thought he was the surprise of the weekend. One of the great things about festivals. Act of the day.

Rise Against 2/10 - Didn't get any energy from that and just thought they were quite boring considering these were one of the acts I was most looking forward too. 

Florence & The Machine 7/10 - Not my cup of tea normally but enjoyed it live and she put on a good show.

Hot Chip 1/10 - The plan was to watch half Florence/Hot Chip, we left Florence around half way and got in the tent for Over and Over expecting it to be amazing and it was just a flop, didn't sound like Hot Chip so we went back to Florence. 

Faith No More 6/10 - Bought the greatest hits before I left to learn a few tracks and the ones I knew were great, especially epic and liked the fact they put a snippet of 'All My Life' into the set. Not sure if it was a pisstake or homage to Foos but I was just happy to hear the riff! 

The Chemical Brothers 9/10 - Danced, raved and loved it. Come back anytime please!

Mumford & Sons 5/10 - Saw the last few songs and thought the crowd were into it. Not a fan myself but can see why people would enjoy them. 

Pharrell Williams 0/10 - Actually thought this would be a party but it was just awful. 

FIDLAR 8/10 - Love this band, such a great way to start the day. Pulled off the big stage as well! Come back higher in The Barn or Klub C please!

Royal Blood 9/10 - Been getting a bit sick of these lately with all the radio play, bit overkill I've been finding but thought they pulled it off. Thought they put on a really great set! Few more good albums I'd welcome them headlining.

The War On Drugs 6/10 - Good. Would have put them in the tent myself.

Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds 7/10 - Quite boring but the Oasis songs made up for it and pushed him to a 7/10.

Lenny Kravitz 8/10 - Enjoyed his headline set, went really quick and I didn't expect Lenny to be that good because he was very boring the last time I watched him. I'd welcome him back! 

The Prodigy 9/10 - Seen them a fair few times and always enjoyable and a good live band imo.

Catfish & The Bottlemen 6/10 - Only caught the end up the atmosphere was good and the sounded spot on, shame I missed it. 

The Vaccines 5/10 - Sat at the back, sounded fine but nothing outstanding.

The Script 5/10 - Same as above.

Kasabian 5/10 - Was sooo looking forward to these and they were just so disappointing, I don't think they performed badly I just think the crowd participation was dire and that makes a Kasabian show. You could tell they aren't big in Belgium as no one knew the songs and the atmosphere was dead. 

Muse 7/10 - Good but not the best I've seen them. Lots of talk around me in the crowd and not very interested apart from the 'hits'. Buzzing I heard Citizen Erased again.  

Don't know where you were for Kasabian then mate as we had  a pit going and everyone was going absolutely mental! We thought the Belgians might be a bit chilled, but we got them going crazy!

Don't know where you were for Kasabian then mate as we had a pit going and everyone was going absolutely mental! We thought the Belgians might be a bit chilled, but we got them going crazy!

Thought we were close enough but obviously we weren't. We were just behind the front barrier. Where you you for it to be so good? Was gutted because was most looking forward to them myself!

They've been doing studies on that for years now, with the intention of pulling in a 4th stage in 2014 or 2015. But it just wasn't an option with the current attendance, area and sound overlaps. The most explicit option they've looked at was putting a new stage at what is now the North West Walls area. But that would only have been possible with alternating sets (with Main Stage), which would turn out a disaster because that area is too small for a huge crowd. 

Fair enough, looks like they may never get an open air stage worked out then! They could look into upgrading Klub C to one of the apparently 20,000 capacity sized tents that Reading and Leeds has (Nme) as that extra bit of capacity in the tent might just settle the crush issues and be able to be fit in somewhere on the site.

Thought we were close enough but obviously we weren't. We were just behind the front barrier. Where you you for it to be so good? Was gutted because was most looking forward to them myself!

yeah man they're too good we were at the front of the middle barrier i think! I found that with some bands how noone really moved .... didn't really bother me , they just need encouraging, they get confused when they see drunk English people! 

yeah man they're too good we were at the front of the middle barrier i think! I found that with some bands how noone really moved .... didn't really bother me , they just need encouraging, they get confused when they see drunk English people!

Feel like I was a part of starting this, did the pit have a lad in a Juventus top? Hahahah I also remember I group of Irish lads in it with a flag and a massive guy with black hair who stacked hard

Don't know where you were for Kasabian then mate as we had  a pit going and everyone was going absolutely mental! We thought the Belgians might be a bit chilled, but we got them going crazy!

Haha, was there too. Right under that camera? Though I assumed it were mostly British guys & hardcore Kasabian fans. 

Fantastic festival once again with cracking weather. There are still a few tips Rock Werchter could improve on although it is a very well organised festival!

1.The fact the tents were so hot, more air con is needed for sure, it would also be helpful if they were slightly bigger or just had a screen with an amp outside so you could hear it and listen while chilling with a beer on the grass if you couldn't get in.

2. More space! Found it quite difficult to get from the main stage bars later and the evening and always struggled to get from main stage to the nice food area as it was so rammed and such a small entrance.

3. Better variety of drinks, could really have done with some rum/JD/vodka and coke with the heat this year to mix it up a little.

Now here's my verdict on the bands I saw.

Eagles of Death Metal 5/10 - Only saw the last couple of songs because of arriving late but sounded good.

James Bay 9/10 - Wasn't expecting much but blew me away, going to buy his album now because I thought he was the surprise of the weekend. One of the great things about festivals. Act of the day.

Rise Against 2/10 - Didn't get any energy from that and just thought they were quite boring considering these were one of the acts I was most looking forward too.

Florence & The Machine 7/10 - Not my cup of tea normally but enjoyed it live and she put on a good show.

Hot Chip 1/10 - The plan was to watch half Florence/Hot Chip, we left Florence around half way and got in the tent for Over and Over expecting it to be amazing and it was just a flop, didn't sound like Hot Chip so we went back to Florence.

Faith No More 6/10 - Bought the greatest hits before I left to learn a few tracks and the ones I knew were great, especially epic and liked the fact they put a snippet of 'All My Life' into the set. Not sure if it was a pisstake or homage to Foos but I was just happy to hear the riff!

The Chemical Brothers 9/10 - Danced, raved and loved it. Come back anytime please!

Mumford & Sons 5/10 - Saw the last few songs and thought the crowd were into it. Not a fan myself but can see why people would enjoy them.

Pharrell Williams 0/10 - Actually thought this would be a party but it was just awful.

FIDLAR 8/10 - Love this band, such a great way to start the day. Pulled off the big stage as well! Come back higher in The Barn or Klub C please!

Royal Blood 9/10 - Been getting a bit sick of these lately with all the radio play, bit overkill I've been finding but thought they pulled it off. Thought they put on a really great set! Few more good albums I'd welcome them headlining.

The War On Drugs 6/10 - Good. Would have put them in the tent myself.

Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds 7/10 - Quite boring but the Oasis songs made up for it and pushed him to a 7/10.

Lenny Kravitz 8/10 - Enjoyed his headline set, went really quick and I didn't expect Lenny to be that good because he was very boring the last time I watched him. I'd welcome him back!

The Prodigy 9/10 - Seen them a fair few times and always enjoyable and a good live band imo.

Catfish & The Bottlemen 6/10 - Only caught the end up the atmosphere was good and the sounded spot on, shame I missed it.

The Vaccines 5/10 - Sat at the back, sounded fine but nothing outstanding.

The Script 5/10 - Same as above.

Kasabian 5/10 - Was sooo looking forward to these and they were just so disappointing, I don't think they performed badly I just think the crowd participation was dire and that makes a Kasabian show. You could tell they aren't big in Belgium as no one knew the songs and the atmosphere was dead.

Muse 7/10 - Good but not the best I've seen them. Lots of talk around me in the crowd and not very interested apart from the 'hits'. Buzzing I heard Citizen Erased again.

That's what stops me, the lack of anything to drink but beer! To be fair, Kasabian were billed too high!

I don't know about you, but the bigger problem with the tents is not overcrowding as such, but the excessive heat there was inside. Last year it was super hot, until it started raining heavily and everyone was getting into Klub C and the Barn. Opening up the sides of the tents (just as every other festival do) would solve the problem. I'm not sure about this climate control thing, but it definitely did not work. 

I went to Reading Festival in 2011, and the NME Stage (which I think is the biggest festival tent in Europe), was open from all sides (just like all other tents) but had 2 or 3 big screens outside... that makes sense. If that was the case this year, I wouldn't have missed Alt-J. 

Edited by dannie88