Rock Werchter 2015

foolee

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Possibilities based on currently known album/tour plans:

- (co)headliners: Foo Fighters, Pearl Jam, Coldplay, Editors, Radiohead, RHCP, The National, QOTSA, Blur/Gorillaz, Linkin Park (but not counting on them, viewing their track record with Belgium)

- subs: Bastille, Volbeat, The XX, Snow Patrol

- dance acts: Netsky, Major Lazer, Disclosure, Rudimental

I'm hoping that the massive succes of Patti Smith and Damien Rice makes them book more artists that connect with 'older' audiences. Beck, PJ Harvey and Bjork would all make great Barn headliners.  

Fantastic festival once again with cracking weather. There are still a few tips Rock Werchter could improve on although it is a very well organised festival!

1.The fact the tents were so hot, more air con is needed for sure, it would also be helpful if they were slightly bigger or just had a screen with an amp outside so you could hear it and listen while chilling with a beer on the grass if you couldn't get in.

2. More space! Found it quite difficult to get from the main stage bars later and the evening and always struggled to get from main stage to the nice food area as it was so rammed and such a small entrance. 

3. Better variety of drinks, could really have done with some rum/JD/vodka and coke with the heat this year to mix it up a little. 

Now here's my verdict on the bands I saw.

Eagles of Death Metal 5/10 - Only saw the last couple of songs because of arriving late but sounded good.

James Bay 9/10 - Wasn't expecting much but blew me away, going to buy his album now because I thought he was the surprise of the weekend. One of the great things about festivals. Act of the day.

Rise Against 2/10 - Didn't get any energy from that and just thought they were quite boring considering these were one of the acts I was most looking forward too. 

Florence & The Machine 7/10 - Not my cup of tea normally but enjoyed it live and she put on a good show.

Hot Chip 1/10 - The plan was to watch half Florence/Hot Chip, we left Florence around half way and got in the tent for Over and Over expecting it to be amazing and it was just a flop, didn't sound like Hot Chip so we went back to Florence. 

Faith No More 6/10 - Bought the greatest hits before I left to learn a few tracks and the ones I knew were great, especially epic and liked the fact they put a snippet of 'All My Life' into the set. Not sure if it was a pisstake or homage to Foos but I was just happy to hear the riff! 

The Chemical Brothers 9/10 - Danced, raved and loved it. Come back anytime please!

Mumford & Sons 5/10 - Saw the last few songs and thought the crowd were into it. Not a fan myself but can see why people would enjoy them. 

Pharrell Williams 0/10 - Actually thought this would be a party but it was just awful. 

FIDLAR 8/10 - Love this band, such a great way to start the day. Pulled off the big stage as well! Come back higher in The Barn or Klub C please!

Royal Blood 9/10 - Been getting a bit sick of these lately with all the radio play, bit overkill I've been finding but thought they pulled it off. Thought they put on a really great set! Few more good albums I'd welcome them headlining.

The War On Drugs 6/10 - Good. Would have put them in the tent myself.

Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds 7/10 - Quite boring but the Oasis songs made up for it and pushed him to a 7/10.

Lenny Kravitz 8/10 - Enjoyed his headline set, went really quick and I didn't expect Lenny to be that good because he was very boring the last time I watched him. I'd welcome him back! 

The Prodigy 9/10 - Seen them a fair few times and always enjoyable and a good live band imo.

Catfish & The Bottlemen 6/10 - Only caught the end up the atmosphere was good and the sounded spot on, shame I missed it. 

The Vaccines 5/10 - Sat at the back, sounded fine but nothing outstanding.

The Script 5/10 - Same as above.

Kasabian 5/10 - Was sooo looking forward to these and they were just so disappointing, I don't think they performed badly I just think the crowd participation was dire and that makes a Kasabian show. You could tell they aren't big in Belgium as no one knew the songs and the atmosphere was dead. 

Muse 7/10 - Good but not the best I've seen them. Lots of talk around me in the crowd and not very interested apart from the 'hits'. Buzzing I heard Citizen Erased again.  

Here are my ratings!

Thurs (8/10)

Marmozets 8/10 - couldn't have picked a better opener. Energetic, great songs and had the entire field on side.

EODM 7/10 - great live band with huge energy. Some songs quite samey but huge fun!

Royal Blood 9/10 - a highlight of the fest. Amazingly musical and not a dull moment. Headliner material.

Rise Against 4/10 - not worth the sore feet! Lacking in energy (particularly noticeable due to the previous act)

Florence 8/10 - surprised by how much I enjoyed this. A great performance.

FNM - 7/10 - technically great but couldn't help shaking the thoughts of Foo Fighters. Shame there weren't more folk there

Friday (6/10)

Last Internationale 5/10 - listened from the north west wall so probably didn't get the full effect

Damian Marley 7/10 - nothing spectacular but amazing fun!

OMAM 2/10 - unmitigated shit

Death Cab 9/10 - "transatlantasism" the song of the festival. An amazing show.

Balthazar 7/10 - seemed to be the only person who didn't know these guys. Energetic and great fun.

Mumford 9/10 - I feel the need to publicly apologise for being so negative about mumfords in the forums. Was totally prepared to hate it and was hooked after the first track. The Wolf was massive and they had the crowd eating out of their hands. The closest to the E Street live show I've seen in terms of fan commitment and energy.

Pharell 3/10 - how was he the highlight of Glastonbury? Completely lacklustre

Saturday (7/10)

FIDLAR 7/10 - amateur performance but great fun. Miaow miaow.

Tallest Man On Earth 8/10 - an unexpected surprise. Anyone who can break that much of a sweat playing acoustic guitar is ok in my book. Big things coming his way.

Hozier 6/10

War On Drugs 6/10 - okay I guess. Lots of people have done it better.

Noel Gallagher 9/10 - no explanation needed

Lenny Kravitz 8/10 - another huge surprise. Definitely still headline material.

The Prodigy - 9.5/10. WOW. What the hell was that?!?!

Sunday (9/10)

Red Fang 5/10 - nothing special

Shikari 8/10 - amazing set that should have been twice as long.

Vaccines 6/10 - pretty bland.

The Script 7/10 - hate the songs but to their testament it was pop music performed right. The fans loved it and it was a hugely energetic show.

Counting Crows 8/10 - really enjoyed this set. Beautiful songs with amazing lyrics. Round Here was stunning.

Kassabian 9.5/10 - HUGE set! Any other day they would have been headline material, if it wasn't for...

MUSE 10/10 - what an amazing way to end the fest. Setlist, staging, performance and crowd all incredible. Surely the greatest live band in the world arm.

My ratings

Thurs

Marmozets 9/10. Amazing energy and the perfect start to the festival

EoDM 7/10. Great fun

Royal blood 9/10. Absolutely incredible!

Rise against 7/10 I enjoyed as a fan but left slightly disappointed

Florence and the machine 8/10. Supringly good

Faith mo more 8/10. Good replacement

Fri

Death cab for cutie. 8/10. Much better than expected

Balthazar 7/10

Mumford and Sons 6/10. Lacked energy

Pharrel 4/10

Sat

FiIDAR 8/10 great fun

Royal blood 8/10. Minuen1 point for playing the same setlist

Hozier 6/10. Slightly dull

TWOD 8.5/10.

NGHFB 9/10. Great show, will watch him at T now

Lenny Kravitz 8/10. Great showman

The prodigy- 6/10. Seemed great until I lost my phone

Sun

Red fang 6/10. Decent

Enter shikari 8/10. Great show again

Catfish and the bottlemen 7/10. Only caught a few songs but seemed good

The vaccines 7/10. Fun but not spectacular

Counting crows 8/10.

The script 5/10. Just s boy band really

Kasabian 9/10. Great live band

Muse 10/10. No explanation needed

Overall, thought the festival was fantastic, I'll definitely be back at some point

May as well give my ratings...

Thursday

Marmozets 9/10 - great opening act

Years and Years 5/10 - only caught a few sounds but they sounded average and struggled to create and atmosphere despite the busy tent

EODM 8/10 - good fun

Royal Blood 9/10 - Always class live

Rise against 8/10 - waited years to see these guys, really enjoyed it despite not sounding great.

Florence and the machine - 7/10 good show

FNM 9/10 - amazing live band

Friday

DCFC 7.5/10 - Really enjoyable set

Balthazar 7/10 - Good band, struggled to make the step up to sub

Mumford and sons 6/10 - enjoyed the hits but not overly impressed with their live show

Pharrel -4/10 - wasn't great, was he?

Saturday

Fidlar 9/10 - great band, great start to the day

Royal Blood 8/10 - love them. But would have liked a slightly different setlist

Hozier 5/10 - sounded tight but was dull

The war on drugs - 8/10 - great band

Noel Gallagher - 8/10 - I like his solo stuff, and the oasis covered were amazing

Lenny Kravitz - 8/10 - Great entertainer

The prodigy - 8/10

Sunday

Red fang - 7/10

Enter Shikari 8/10 - great live act, Rou didn't look fully fit

Catfish and the bottlemen - 7/10

The vaccines - 8/10

Counting crows - 7/10

The script 3/10

Kasabian 9/10 - great live band

Muse 10/10, obviously

Time to rate !

Thursday

St Paul & the Broken Bones : 7,5/10 Too short, but amazing beginning of the festival !

Eagles of Death Metal : 5/10 Good energy but no crowd, too noisy, engineering troubles...Boring. I left the show.

First Aid Kit : 6/10 Good folky mood, without being transcendental

Royal Blood : 8/10 Hell yeah

Rise Against : 6,5/10 Charismatic singer, good music but something missed. I was expecting more from them.

Patti Smith : 9/10 : Legend. Intense show.

Florence and the Machine : 9/10 : Beautiful set, amazing performer, amazing crowd.

Faith No More : 8,5/10 : The band was awesome, but the crowd was not prepared to that.

I've seen one song by Oscar & the Wolf and it was a good surprise.

Chemical Brothers : 6,5/10 : Good lights show, but nothing intense, many electronic acts could be better, disappointed..

Friday

The Last Internationale : 7,5/10 : Great beginning of the day !

Archive : 3/10 : I slept.

Damian Marley : 7/10 : Had a lot of fun !

Of Monsters and Men : 7/10 : Had fun but expected much more from them.

I've seen the end of DCFC and it was amazing. They proved to be from Seattle.

The Cat Empire : 10/10 : Best show of the day. Incredible atmosphere. Everyone danced and sang the whole show, people left Klub C singing loud the last song..

Mumford and Sons : 9,5/10 : I was in the front pit, and had a wonderful time. People here were singing and jumping the whole show, with something intense. More happiness than during the other shows.

Pharell Williams : 7/10 : Even if the performance was probably weak, I was with a group of crazy dutch people, and we had a great time dancing all the show.

Saturday

CC Smugglers : 8/10 : Great show, great atmosphere, the best opening of the edition.

Other Lives : 4,5/10 : A band I was expecting... It was weak.

The Tallest Man On Earth : 8/10 : Amazing performer, a bit mesmerizing

Hozier : 5/10 : Nothing transcendental, a bit boring

The War On Drugs : ??/10 : I'm in love with the band, so I can't judge them. But I loved the show so much.

Noel Gallagher : 8,5/10 : Didn't expect that he would be so good

Lenny Kravitz : 8,5/10 : Didn't see a lot of songs, but all far better than I was expecting, great musicians

Damien Rice : 11/10 : Incredible. We had Pearl Jam last year, we had Damien Rice this year. He gave goosebumps to the whole crowd.

The Prodigy : 9/10 : Great great great jumping and screaming time.

Sunday

Red Fang : 6/10 : Good.

Blaudzun : 7/10 : I didn't know him, good surprise

Catfish : 7/10 : Great energy !

The Vaccines : 5,5/10 : Difficult to like when you're not a fan

Circa Waves : 1/10 : Ridiculous compared to the other bands

Counting Crows : 8,5/10 : A different concert. Loved the interpretation. Adam Duritz rocks. Round here was brilliant.

Alabama Shakes : 8,5/10 : She was so charismatic..

The Script : 7/10 : Good performance, a generous boys band

Ben Harper : 7,5/10 : I've already seen him give better concerts but he was great.

Kasabian : 9,5/10 : HELL YEAH ! I jumped high !

Die Antwoord : 9/10 : Crazy.

Muse : 9,5/10 : That's a headliner. Great show, even if it's not a band I listen to, I had a really good time. Couldn't imagine the technical show would be so developed ! Perfect way to close the festival.

10/10

Damien Rice

9/10

Oscar & the Wolf

Kasabian

Muse

Caribou

The War on Drugs

Angus & Julia Stone

8/10

Elbow

Balthazar

Ibeyi

Death Cab for Cutie

Counting Crows (Round here!)

these were my favourites of the 25 concerts I've seen. Noel would be in it as well, but after Riverman I had to run to Angus & Julia Stone....

When someone says that EODM were boring but Mumford & Sons had great energy, I stop reading....!

None of my group of friends liked EoDM. Maybe because that we were not in the front pit. Maybe not. Their music had absolutely no effect on me. I didn't move the head. The singer made me just laugh between the songs, but that's all. Maybe that's because I had just listened to the amazing St Paul & the Broken Bones, and it was hard to switch from something really great to something like that.

As for 2016 at the moment I'd guess at something along these lines for headliners... Can't see Pearl Jam as I don't think they have any plans for albums or tours so I can't see it, but you never know as they do seem to enjoy it but think there could be a fair few headline bands around next year!

Foo Fighters - Editors - Green Day - Coldplay

Too early for me to speculate about other acts but I'll open up the new thread soon-ish when talk regarding 2015 and their time at RW15 go quiet. 

This time last week. :(

What can I say, I'm hooked. Definitely the best organised festival I've been to. Never seen camping grounds so clean & people so friendly. We also never paid a cent for drinks, as you got one drink (including beer) for free for 20 cups and they lay around everywhere. Honestly, it was collecting cups for a minute = free beer!! 

What was missing a bit for me is that "festival"-festival-feeling I got from Roskilde. R felt much more like a complete thing, with art and playgrounds and bathing lake and stuff while Werchter was really only music. (Which doesn't make it not great at all) 

If we're not not successful with Glasto-tickets, which is top priority 'cause I've never been, Werchter definitely is an option for 2016. 

Thursday:

First Aid Kit (8/10), Were a little late but great start!

Royal Blood (6/10), Love their songs but it didn't really catch me. Might be because the crowd where we stood was rather lame

Rise Against (5/10) not good, not bad, mediocre

Florence & The Machine (9/10) fuck yes, highlight of the day. Florence Welch seemed super motivated and the crowd was fun. Could have headlined for sure. 

Faith No More (8/10) Didn't know much and left somewhat middle of the set, but what I saw was great. 

Chemical Brothers (9/10) First time chems, did not disappoint!  

Friday: 

Ibeyi (7/10) Very charming, can highly recommend their debut album. 

DCFC (8/10) Top performance, crowd in the barn seemed to be the best all days long. 

Came to late for alt-J and watched two or three songs from outside. Holy shit that tent was packed. 

Mumford & Sons (8/10) I've always been a massive fan and while both show and crowd were great, it didn't quite catch me like the first and last time I saw them. Had fun nevertheless. 

Pharrell (7/10) All the hits. Was fun but I'm not entirely sure about what to think of him yet.

Saturday:

Tallest Man On Earth (7/10) Love him, but was too tired still to really catch a vibe. 

TWOD (8/10) Way better than expected. Had seem some live footage and it seemed more laid back, but they got me. 

NGHFB (6/10) Love Noel, but that was rather boring. :( 

Steak vs. Lenny Kravitz 1:0 (8/10) Had the filet steak and while it was good for the taste, they served it lukewarm. Great sauce!

Damien Rice (11/10) Okay, that was incredible. Crowd was intense, singing along basically all the time and Damien Rice just went nuts. Totally blew the barn away. Best concert of the weekend by a mile. 

Sunday:

Counting Crows (8/10) Just lay in the grass around the trees completely trashed and stared in the sky but CC delivered a great soundtrack. 

The Script (5/10) I liked some of what they do a long time ago, but they absolutely didn't get me. 

Kasabian (10/10) Had super fun with what seemed to be only Brits in a small pit directly under the camera a little right in front of the stage. Superb set, I'm getting hooked more with every time I see them.

Muse (8/10) Maybe I was just too done to uphold excitement, but Muse didn't quite catch me as I thought they would. Great finale nevertheless. Citizen Erased!  

As for 2016 at the moment I'd guess at something along these lines for headliners... Can't see Pearl Jam as I don't think they have any plans for albums or tours so I can't see it, but you never know as they do seem to enjoy it but think there could be a fair few headline bands around next year!

Foo Fighters - Editors - Green Day - Coldplay

Too early for me to speculate about other acts but I'll open up the new thread soon-ish when talk regarding 2015 and their time at RW15 go quiet. 

Nothing to say Green Day with new material is there? It'll be more rubbish too. 3 of those are great shouts, 2 are nailed for me.

Nothing to say Green Day with new material is there? It'll be more rubbish too. 3 of those are great shouts, 2 are nailed for me.

Nope nothing to say that but it's only July, got a whole year yet until the next festival so who knows who will be around, I can see it myself! FF and Editors for sure I'd say. 

Nope nothing to say that but it's only July, got a whole year yet until the next festival so who knows who will be around, I can see it myself! FF and Editors for sure I'd say.

Agreed ! Many possibilities for headlining and subheadlining. Gorillaz will be back, System of a down will release a new album too, the Boss will be probably touring, Iron Maiden is gonna release the new album, Pearl Jam could be touring in Europe... We have to wait :D

First time there and I was astounded how well kept, well organised and how friendly the Belgian people are, definitely looking to go back next year.   Only downside was a few Irish idiots in the Hive singing inappropriate songs!

It can definitely improve with some air con in those other stages, they're what we'd call a 'sweat box' and definitely put me off a few acts and staying longer on others!

Pitching the tent in the Hive was absolutely CRAZY!  Was like the old American western land grab, run when the rope drops and plant your flag!   I was quite dissappointed when they said camping opens at 4pm and it had clearly been open several hours before that.

Favourites:

Totally biased favourite bands, but were awesome:   Kasabian, Noel Gallagher

Best new band - Catfish & the Bottlemen

Best overall performance - Royal Blood on Thursday, the wee drummer is mental!

Best song of the weekend - Elbow - One day like this (such a festival tune)

If they sold more than beer I'd give it a go but as they don't I can't see me ever going and it'd be the same for Puckelpop I think, who just don't have the lineup this year.

Agreed ! Many possibilities for headlining and subheadlining. Gorillaz will be back, System of a down will release a new album too, the Boss will be probably touring, Iron Maiden is gonna release the new album, Pearl Jam could be touring in Europe... We have to wait :D

Yup, if SOAD have new material out then they are a good bet. Likely to be at Download you'd think so close enough to pop up.