AC/DC Says Lars

Justiceforcedave

Might they agree to play if they already have a sold out stadium tour though?

they don't already have a sold out stadium tour tho, do they?

And if/when they've got a sold out tour, why not do extra dates for that tour and earn far more?

The simple fact is that Glasto is not an attractive proposition for an band of this size unless they actively wish to do it - and given AC/DC's history there's no reason to think they would. To them, having total control has been of the utmost importance closely followed by the money.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The simple fact is that Glasto is not an attractive proposition for an band of this size unless they actively wish to do it - and given AC/DC's history there's no reason to think they would. To them, having total control has been of the utmost importance closely followed by the money.

We said the same about The Stones. Their gig has opened it up to anyone now. They're so influential, even their choices of gigs is a big thing for other bands to follow.

We said the same about The Stones. Their gig has opened it up to anyone now. They're so influential, even their choices of gigs is a big thing for other bands to follow.

Yep, the same was said about the stones - tho it later emerged that they did actively want to do it, which turned out to be why they did.

There might be something similar in the background with AC/DC too, but there's no reason to think there is. The fact they're (mostly) not Brits will lessen the possibility of that attraction I'd have thought.

PS: your post implies that Glasto is where mega-bands will in future come to die*.

If so, the festival will do that too. ;)

(* tho it's worked for U2. They give away 500,000,000 copies of their album, and i've yet to hear/read anyone make a comment on it :lol:)

I will then. Its total pants! But they're U2 Inc. now. Not U2. The music is secondary. Last tour had Bono thanking Blackberry from the fucking stage! But this corporate circle jerk is the end of them as a proper band in musical terms.

Not sure about Glasto being a place where bands "come to die". "Come to cement their legacy" maybe. Therres still lots of space on the bill for relevant "now" bands.

they don't already have a sold out stadium tour tho, do they?

And if/when they've got a sold out tour, why not do extra dates for that tour and earn far more?

That's true actually. It would take an element of wanting to do it and up until recently they couldn't give a toss about festivals at all.

I just googled to see if there's anything the Youngs have ever said about Glastonbury and found a thread on the AC/DC forums that says Mensch hasn't been their manager for over thirty years. Know if this is true?

Neil's probably right that it doesnt make it any more likely, but any potential Glastonbury show was always going to be part of a larger stadium tour as opposed to a one-off.

Someone should tweet Louise Mensch to see what she says :-P

Be interesting to see if these new songs are still written by Malcolm and Angus or whether hes also retired as a songwriter.

I just googled to see if there's anything the Youngs have ever said about Glastonbury and found a thread on the AC/DC forums that says Mensch hasn't been their manager for over thirty years. Know if this is true?

Mensch is newly their manager again, so people posting here have said.

And there's comments out there from over a year ago of Johnson saying "festival are a possibility in the future" too - tho it was all a bit vague, and before the news about Malcolm broke.

The Malcolm thing suggests their life is now limited. So do they go for the money or for what they might want? Given their love of money in the past, I suspect the money is top of the pile now.

The Malcolm thing suggests their life is now limited. So do they go for the money or for what they might want? Given their love of money in the past, I suspect the money is top of the pile now.

Brian Johnson has said they were on borrowed time due to his age and style of singing. Hes a bit older than the others, nearly 67. Angus is 59. This was before Malcolm got sick.

They can tour and get the money and make a stop off at Glasto to help cement their legacy while gaining new fans. Live on the Beeb. Its only one show.

I'd argue that a band like them would make more money in the long run from a televised Glasto set through later record sales.

Most of us are lucky enough not to know this - as we're usually there - but Glasto is a big big weekend in tellyland. People have Glasto parties and watch it all night. Metallica converted a load of new fans in June.

Edited by The Nal

I wonder how the amount of album sales generated by headlining Glastonbury, compares with a headliners fee.

The Stones Grrr went from number 49 to number 17 the week after Glasto.

Chase and Status album went from number 136 in the charts to number 36.

Arctic Monkeys first album went from 180 to number 15 with a 8000% increase in sales the following week!

Dollys best of went to number 5.

Metallicas 25 year old Black Album went to number 19 etc etc.

Glasto is a monster.

Edited by The Nal

Mensch is newly their manager again, so people posting here have said.

And there's comments out there from over a year ago of Johnson saying "festival are a possibility in the future" too - tho it was all a bit vague, and before the news about Malcolm broke.

Wasn't it Malcolm who was the one member that was most against playing? And I think he pretty much dictated the direction of the band. Given that he isn't going to be returning to the band, this may have given the remaining members more freedom to do thing they want to do.

In general, people's reasoning for doing things changes from financial to status and esteem over time anyway. Money may have been the determining factor for a long time but events can change this. It is possible that Malcolm's health issues have changed the bands focus. Maybe they see the end as being nigh and they are more focused on cementing their status as a great rock band - and Glastonbury sure would be one way of doing that.

In general, people's reasoning for doing things changes from financial to status and esteem over time anyway. Money may have been the determining factor for a long time but events can change this. It is possible that Malcolm's health issues have changed the bands focus. Maybe they see the end as being nigh and they are more focused on cementing their status as a great rock band - and Glastonbury sure would be one way of doing that.

I don't disagree with any of this as "possible".

It's also possible that I'll be the next man to walk on the moon - yet nothing of that possibility means it's likely to happen.

And that's what i'm getting at. There's nothing to give any real indication that AC/DC will do Glastonbury as a part of their next tour, particularly when put against the sorts of things they've preferred to do in the past.

Wanting them to and then using that want as the basis to guess that they will doesn't change anything of that remote possibility from the limited info we have available to work from.

AC/DC official page says 2nd December

Their record company are more likely to be correct, particularly in an email sent out to UK music press.

And their website is perhaps aiming itself at their biggest market (which i'm assuming to be the US). No one will fail to buy the album on the 2nd, whilst it sounds like some might on the 1st.