Glastonbury Festival 1990. Some snaps and the programme

Guest scorp

Enjoy. Times have changed but also in some respects not changed a great deal in 24 years. Some of you were as yet unborn but I sense many of you [of those unborn or children then] will have the same vibe about you as those who were there then. Hover to see a caption, tho not all are captioned. And click of course to make each image a bit bigger and to make a comment. None of the programme pages are captioned, tho the cover is, to give the dimensions [16.5 x nearly 12 inches]. Four of the programme pages were missed out in the first photo shoot of the programme, due to whatever; they are added on at the end. One shows the Pyramid Stage at night, shot an earlier year.

I trust you recognise the long drops!?

Peace 'n Love.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/13893444@N03/sets/72157645605583821/

Edited by scorp

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice - 1990 was my first year. I was at a house party in Leicester the weekend before drunkenly singing Waterboys songs. Some randoms at the party, who were waterboys fans, said 'you ought to come to glastonbury festival with us next week' and that was that.

Edited by kerplunk

Nice - 1990 was my first year. I was at a house party in Leicester the weekend before drunkenly singing Waterboys songs. Some randoms at the party, who were waterboys fans, said 'you ougfht to come to glastonbury festival with us next weekl' and that was that.

Edited by scorp

I used to buy my tickets at a lttle office (Stargreens?) under the railway arches near Embankment station (I started going in '95), those were the easy days! There's a thread somewhere in general discussions about how people used to buy festival and gig tickets before the internet took over, started by someone who seems genuinely puzzled at how we did it. Made me smile.

Nice footage, scorp, thanks.

lol, gr8 story. it was *that* easy to get tickets in those daze ( :beach: ) or get in free. i saw an ad in a magazine in the April and went for it. Sent a cheque off. All very leisurely. As I approached the fest site i began to form the notion that Glastonbury Festival is for me :-)

Well yeah we parked up in Shepton Mallet and hiked in to the festival with all our gear - the wisdom of my new friends (who had been before) being 'if you don't arrive in a vehicle you don't have to pay'. It was the last year before the 'continuous fence' so it was just a case of pushing through a hedge :)

Enjoy. Times have changed but also in some respects not changed a great deal in 24 years. Some of you were as yet unborn but I sense many of you [of those unborn or children then] will have the same vibe about you as those who were there then. Hover to see a caption, tho not all are captioned. And click of course to make each image a bit bigger and to make a comment. None of the programme pages are captioned, tho the cover is, to give the dimensions [16.5 x nearly 12 inches]. Four of the programme pages were missed out in the first photo shoot of the programme, due to whatever; they are added on at the end. One shows the Pyramid Stage at night, shot an earlier year.

I trust you recognise the long drops!?

Peace 'n Love.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/13893444@N03/sets/72157645605583821/

Interesting stuff, I didnt go to 1990 - went to Reading instead, which is featured in your programme there! I love the map page... No Pennards! And only onw beer tent by the looks of it too. Yet somethings look so familiar on the photos, the long drops, the green fields, some of the theatre performances. Really realky interesting and ill have a better look when im not running late for work!

Nice images
I reckon that years programme was the largest it has ever been and it was a right pain to try and get it back without bending it.{ I still have it and all the others going back 35 years }
it was good value - £3 - ticket price was £38 { although I was working at it }
Highlights was the Cure and Sinead O’Connor and as I was working in the Guest Bar { Pyramid stage } that was the first time I ran into John Peel { and over the years at various festivals we did have a few good drinks together - a really nice guy }
and not forgetting Archaos http://www.archaos.info/
Sure there was Mud but nothing like 1985 { if anyone invents a time machine - that is the year to go back to as you would just not believe how bloody muddy it was - no other year since has come close }

1990Poster.jpg

Interesting stuff, I didnt go to 1990 - went to Reading instead, which is featured in your programme there! I love the map page... No Pennards! And only onw beer tent by the looks of it too. Yet somethings look so familiar on the photos, the long drops, the green fields, some of the theatre performances. Really realky interesting and ill have a better look when im not running late for work!

Superb to see that. btw, in reference to how people used to buy tickets before t'internet came on to the scene: Glasto Festie goers had only to walk into the likes of HMV and buy one! Simples. Then in about 1994 Channel 4 broadcast some 16 hours of it and public interest began to shoot thru the roof. Then the beeb grabbed it from Channel 4 and bob's yer uncle; eventually, getting a ticket became increasingly difficult, because any tom, dick or harry could buy one from his or her armchair. Some people here have put those 16 hours onto DVD. I still have them on tape.

For comparison, here's a shot I took from this year's festival. Not the same orientation I'm afraid, but you can clearly see the Pyramid arena, and can use 'the tree' and the hedges to relate the 1990 and 2014 festivals:

14560757855_c142bc7674_o_d.jpg

Note that the 1990 photo was probably taken with some sort of profession equipment and the 2014 shot was taken with a phone!