Football 2014/15

TheGayTent

Dynamic of footie has changed in recent years. How important have keepers been this season?

I don't understand are you saying goalkeepers have been more or less important. To me its no different to any season, some keepers are in form and others are not.

Think that must be the plan. Hopefully. Let Moreno, Can, Sakho, Manquillo, Markovic, Flanagan, Coutinho, Sterling, Henderson, Sturridge grow together. Can that compete with the oil clubs over time? Who knows.

I guess it depends how financial fair play hinders the oil teams, I personally hope they exploit the loopholes as I don't believe in the concept. My gut instinct is those players mentioned are probably of the class to compete for 4th, but Im not sure they are of the standard to ever be challenging for titles again. Of course that could all change if the find the next suarez.

• Replies 7.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My gut instinct is those players mentioned are probably of the class to compete for 4th, but Im not sure they are of the standard to ever be challenging for titles again. Of course that could all change if the find the next suarez.

I think none of them will be classed as 'top top players' except perhaps Sterling & Coutinho, but they're perhaps a group who will be greater than the sum of their parts due to the way they're all starting to interact. While some players are more important than others, I don't think they'd be about 'stars' as much as happens with other teams (or even was the case last season with Suarez).

Then again, if Sterling turns into the next skippy it would be about stars.

Edited by eFestivals

I think none of them will be classed as 'top top players' except perhaps Sterling & Coutinho, but they're perhaps a group who will be greater than the sum of their parts due to the way they're all starting to interact. While some players are more important than others, I don't think they'd be about 'stars' as much as happens with other teams (or even was the case last season with Suarez).

Then again, if Sterling turns into the next skippy it would be about stars.

I think Sturridge is a top top player if they could sort his injuries out.

Sterling, Coutinho, Can and Markovic could all become them I think - but out of 4 with the ability to do that it would be remarkable if they all did. I think a lot of yesterday's XI have high ceilings but a lot can go wrong 20-25 with attitudes and injuries.

Looks like Di maria and Falcao were offered to Chelsea before UTD. Jose didn’t seem to think they were worth the money.

I would imagine they were offered to city and Bayern as well. Its a bit simplistic saying Jose didn't think they were worth the money. Chelsea looked to strengthen in 3 areas and Costa, Fabregas and Luis were the players that fitted that criteria. Di Maria wasn't an area they were looking to strengthen so wouldn't have made sense with the constraints of financial fair play as they didn't need him. There would have been no point buying Falcao when Costa was a better bet.

Man Utd needed the players and the selling clubs knew it,so the prices were inflated. Both Chelsea and Jose have bought players for far voer market value in the past.

Nah. De Gea and Courtois have been standout this year.

They are outstanding goalkeepers, however in one respect Cortuois has a lot less work than most keepers in the league. Keepers have been crucial for teams as far as I can remember starting from Southall through Schmeichel and now De Gea. Even looking at some of the less fashionable teams, the likes of Jaskellainen won as many (if not more) points for Bolton at his peak and had a far greater workload.

£61m to sign a player who left on a free, three years ago :lol: :lol:

yep. I'd laugh too.

Can't see him wanting to go back there really, either. If Utd would pay that sort of money for him, then it's likely that barca or Real would be knocking soon enough so he could just wait for them.

But he's the sort of player Utd need. It's probably all they need.

Depending on where Real focus on strengthening in the Summer I see potential for De Gea, Pogba and Reus all going there - especially if they do offload Bale for a large sum.

Man Utd could very much do with Pogba. At the moment they could do with a big, physical box-to-box midfielder like him to complete the midfield alongside di Maria and Carrick/Blind.

yep. I'd laugh too.

Can't see him wanting to go back there really, either. If Utd would pay that sort of money for him, then it's likely that barca or Real would be knocking soon enough so he could just wait for them.

But he's the sort of player Utd need. It's probably all they need.

I suppose the risk is that if you wait, someone else becomes flavor of the month and the opportunity is gone. Juventus are a funny team, in terms of dominating in Italy, but not having the finances to challenge the big boys in Europe. He may feel he has achieved all he can there and that Man U offers both financial and footballing opportunity.