Game of Thrones discussion thread

bunique

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Spindles said:

Did anyone else notice a glimpse of Richard E Grant in the backstage scene with the actors?  I wonder if we'll see more of him or, like the actor that played Ned in the play, it's just a famous face doing a guest spot.

He played Robbie B in the play.

On 24/05/2016 at 10:14 AM, krisskross said:

His rallying speech was the least convincing thing this season. 

Did like his chop down all the trees and build me a thousand ships. there were only about 30 people stood around (not many for welcoming a new king)

"king there are not many tress in these parts at all, and will take us at least 20 years to complete a thousand ships"

Also we see only a few little boats leave the shore and yet they took a whole fleet away.

Makes me giggle, and yes I know you have to suspend belief

2 hours ago, fred quimby said:

Did like his chop down all the trees and build me a thousand ships. there were only about 30 people stood around (not many for welcoming a new king)

"king there are not many tress in these parts at all, and will take us at least 20 years to complete a thousand ships"

Also we see only a few little boats leave the shore and yet they took a whole fleet away.

Makes me giggle, and yes I know you have to suspend belief

Yeah, more people left than were crowning the king! You'd think someone might have noticed...

On 25/05/2016 at 5:27 PM, Spindles said:

Euron has potential though, he had a few good lines this week.  I'm intrigued as to where that whole thread is going.

I'm still trying to get over the Borgen links. I've finally caught up with watching the episodes, Iron Islands is a huge kingdom if the majority of the people support Euro, yet all those people and ships left. How come they've been beaten??

It was sad to see how Hodor was affected in the early days.

10 hours ago, bunique said:

Not enough Jon Snow for my liking <_<

Remind a dimwit - the guy with Walder Frey - a lesser Stark?

Edmure Stark.  The Red wedding was his marriage and he was the only guest to survive (apart from the blackfish, who got away ahead of the slaughter).

2 minutes ago, swede said:

Bloody boring episode this week.

I'm glad it wasn't just me! The last two have left me totally unmoved. We hadn't even seen Hodor for 1.5 series so found it hard to get emotional over that. I enjoyed the glimpses this week of what Bran could potentially do with his powers, and I liked Sam taking the sword as that's obviously setting up a white walker confrontation but otherwise it's been pretty snoozefest. The faith militant confrontation-that-wasn't was a huge let down. And Danaerys can bore the bore off. 

34 minutes ago, bunique said:

I'm glad it wasn't just me! The last two have left me totally unmoved. We hadn't even seen Hodor for 1.5 series so found it hard to get emotional over that. I enjoyed the glimpses this week of what Bran could potentially do with his powers, and I liked Sam taking the sword as that's obviously setting up a white walker confrontation but otherwise it's been pretty snoozefest. The faith militant confrontation-that-wasn't was a huge let down. And Danaerys can bore the bore off.

Thought the start with Bran was great. The Sam stuff bored me to death, too much of it in one episode when there are more important things going on in the show, Dany needs to stop making speeches and get the fuck to Westeros, need to see her turn truly mad when no one accepts her claim to the throne.

why is the high sparrow seen as an evil villain? Yes his treatment of that gay chap is a bit rum, but the way he's dealing with the royal families is something to be applauded isnt it? 

I read all over the internet how people cant wait for him to be killed etc, but he's on the side of the working class. Why does everyone hate him?

7 minutes ago, russycarps said:

why is the high sparrow seen as an evil villain? Yes his treatment of that gay chap is a bit rum, but the way he's dealing with the royal families is something to be applauded isnt it? 

I read all over the internet how people cant wait for him to be killed etc, but he's on the side of the working class. Why does everyone hate him?

Is it not because he shoves religion down everyone's throat? Evil religious folk often hide behind the working classes and use that as a power of theirs. (Mother Teresa par example! ;) ) 

Also GOT is set up to confuse an audience as to who they should like.

Everyone loves Tyrion. Tyrion was helped by Jamie. Jamie shags Cersi, yet she is a bitch.................Cersi's King son Tommen is viewed as somewhat naive and innocent victim of it all etc etc The metaphorical and literal incestious nature of it all is very confusing 

But to have a rule to be suspicious of devout religious folk ain't a bad one, especially those who seem to wield a fair chunk of power

23 minutes ago, ThomThomDrum said:

Is it not because he shoves religion down everyone's throat? Evil religious folk often hide behind the working classes and use that as a power of theirs. (Mother Teresa par example! ;) ) 

Also GOT is set up to confuse an audience as to who they should like.

Everyone loves Tyrion. Tyrion was helped by Jamie. Jamie shags Cersi, yet she is a bitch.................Cersi's King son Tommen is viewed as somewhat naive and innocent victim of it all etc etc The metaphorical and literal incestious nature of it all is very confusing 

But to have a rule to be suspicious of devout religious folk ain't a bad one, especially those who seem to wield a fair chunk of power

I'm no fan of religion believe me! 

But what's he done to deserve people to want him dead? 

Perhaps he will reveal a dastardly plan in time, but at the moment he's just a religious nut who at least is on the side of the poor. He's nowhere near as bad as joffrey or ramsey.

People are wanting the mountain to kill him because of how he treated cersei for example .(not necessarily a view on this forum but it is a very common view elsewhere). Surely cersei is more evil than the high sparrow??

I think he might turn out to be the saviour of westeros. Wouldnt that be a nice twist!

I for one dont have a desire to see him dead (he is a brilliant watch for one; and very much not yet exposed as nearly as evil as some of the characters we have met in GOT thus far IMO), but I was for sure hoping it would all kick off last night between Mace & Jamie's gang and the Faith Militant. A brain washed Tommen and Margaery was a major anti climax. 

Edited by ThomThomDrum

I find it utterly bizarre that so many people online seem to find the scenes with the High Sparrow boring. Jonathan Pryce is just terrific in the role, he's one of the most effortlessly magnetic presences in the whole show. He has this kind of smiling benevolence that I find far more terrifying and unsettling than Charles Dance's steely malevolence. 

9 hours ago, Winslow Leach said:

I find it utterly bizarre that so many people online seem to find the scenes with the High Sparrow boring. Jonathan Pryce is just terrific in the role, he's one of the most effortlessly magnetic presences in the whole show. He has this kind of smiling benevolence that I find far more terrifying and unsettling than Charles Dance's steely malevolence. 

His big grin at the end when he was stood alongside tommen as the crowd were cheering was a wonderful sight.

Definitely different from charles dance, but he is still missed terribly I think.