Game of Thrones discussion thread

bunique

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, bunique said:

If he'd shot Jon inside the castle walls, the Wildling bowmen would have just run him through. I assume that's why he asked for hand to hand combat 

Or because he genuinely thought he could shoot down Jon before Jon reached him. The look on Ramsay's face when Jon swung the shield at him was the look of a man who knows he's done fucked up this time.

On 21 June 2016 at 11:27 AM, bunique said:

Where's Wooderson to piss on our chips? :D

The production was ace. The writing was appalling.

The hell is going on with Sansa. Incomprehensible. "Ah yeh, our brother already dead despite me having secretly called one of the most unbeatable mounted forces on the continent to our aid. Ho hum. Can't be helped."

Cersei is one mad bitch :lol: so it's basically her versus Danaerys, what's left of the Tyrells, Dorn, dothraki, iron islands... 

I always assumed she and Jon would end up shacked up at the end but are they actually half siblings? Can't remember the family ties implicated with that "big" reveal. 

Arya :D that was sooooo satisfying. 

The time lines in GOT went a bit mad this season; some of the journeys took no time at all - like Jon's tour of the North.  Or Littlefinger getting from the Vale to the Wall, when in S1 it took a couple of episodes to travel that far.

For Varys though he must have gone back to Meereen with some Dornish ships to help out, as there were Martell ships in the fleet at the end.

Nitpicking aside, that was amazing.  A good purge of some of the minor characters, so great bits of revenge, sides/stories coming together. And a bit about R+L=J.  Again loved the Arya bit!

S7 can't come soon enough!

9 hours ago, bunique said:

I always assumed she and Jon would end up shacked up at the end but are they actually half siblings? Can't remember the family ties implicated with that "big" reveal. 

The main GOT rumour is that Jon's mum was Lyanna Stark, Ned's sister and the father was Rhaegar Targaryen, Dany's brother.  So still a bastard, but half stark/half dragon!  Also mean Ned was still the noble/loyal husband.

52 minutes ago, bunique said:

Dany's brother?! Trying to understand those logistics!

Dany's dad, Mad king Aeres had 3 children, Rhaegar, Viserys and Dany.  We know Dany, obviously, Viserys got his golden crown back in S1, E6 and the other brother was killed by Robert (bashed in by a warhammer) at the battle of the Trident way before the series started.

In the books we hear how Rhaegar was quite take with Lyanna at various tourneys, etc, so there has always been speculation that they had a bit of a fling.  It also explains why Robert hated Rhaegar so much, as he carried a flame for Lyanna too (remember he wanted to visited her in the Winterfell tombs back in the very first episode).

fantastic episode. after last weeks i thought that this one could only be a disappointment but i was wrong. the whole bit in King's Landing with that musical score running beneath it was just incredibly tense and satisfying (as much as i hate her, Cersei without any real power this last season just didn't seem right, so to see her now sit on the throne and take out almost all of her enemies in one fell swoop seemed appropriate), and seeing Dany travelling to Westeros with her new found friends was an awesome ending

heard a rumour that season 7 is only gonna be seven episodes long, and that season 8 only six - anybody know if there's any truth to that? whilst there are obviously episodes that fall a little flat each season, i'd much rather have more Game of Thrones than less. they must be some full throttle six episodes

Edited by FloorFiller

5 hours ago, bunique said:

I heard that rumour too, from one of the directors of an episode this series. I wonder if they'll be longer episodes 

More than a rumour, I have read it as being fact in an interview recently, although they only said 13 episodes over 2 years, rather than specifying 6 and 7 episodes.

As I see it, series 7 will be Dany vs Cersei, Series 8 will be living vs dead.

I had not expected much from this episode, thinking it would be lots of Samwell Tarly style stuff, wrapping up a thread from earlier in the season and suggesting their further direction.  Instead we got quite the opposite, an episode 10 as good as any episode 9.  Tommen's suicide was almost comical, reminded me of Chris Morris in the IT crowd.

Do you think Tommen's end was filmed that way to show how far Cersei has come - that her thirst for the throne now outweighs the love she had for her children (that began disappearing after Joffrey, took a hammering when Marcella died and was barely there by the time Tommen carked it)?

I think that Cersei reached a point after Myrcella died that she decided the prophecy was true and therefore had accepted that Tommen was going to die, so had already accepted his death before it even came to pass.  She doesn't seem to realise that Dany is the younger, more beautiful queen spoken of replacing her short rule, as she'd fixated on Margaery.  Clearly this period is the short period of being Queen that the prophecy spoke of.

1 hour ago, Spindles said:

More than a rumour, I have read it as being fact in an interview recently, although they only said 13 episodes over 2 years, rather than specifying 6 and 7 episodes.

one of the producers definitely mentioned it as fact a while back but somebody else was quick to correct him and say that they couldn't be sure of the number of episodes until the storyboards were all drawn out etc. don't think there's been any word on it since. even though there'll be far fewer story arcs now that characters are all coming together, it seems odd that they'd shorten each series now when it's inevitably gonna heat up tenfold. the next two series (if they are in fact the last) are gonna have like... 10 battles in them, between both human armies and humans vs wights