Jack White?

ssimpson90

• Replies 864
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just listened to my remaster and reprinted self titled album. Such a raw sound back at the beginning, not as tight as they got to be, but damn the Stripes made some exciting music. It was odd listening to Lazaretto and then going back to the beginning.

Love going back to the beginning. Jimmy the Exploder came on the other day and I was thinking the exact same thing. Brilliant stuff though

that album's all about astro and do for me.

Their version of one more cup of coffee is also killer.

Hisastronomyallum'sall

Cannon and Astro are awesome as is Broken Bricks. I saw the Stripes perform Do. Was lovley.

Their version of One more Cup of Coffee is the only thing I dislike by Jack White.

These recent setlists are making me want to choose them over the manics NOOO

I'm in the same pickle. My thoughts are that the Manics being on Other is just going to be a bog standard festival set, whereas Jack could pull anything out in his hour and a quarter. Plus imagine the whole of the pyramid field singing along to Seven Nation Army at the end :)

Am I alone in thinking that the new album...and to be honest, the last album...is a bit, for want of a better word, the emperor's new clothes? :/ White Stripes = Amazing. Ractonteurs = Damn bloody good. Dead Weather = Alright. Ish. Jack's solo albums = Patchy?

Agree, except I prefer The Dead Weather to The Raconteurs!

Do you say these things deliberately to antagonize me? When it comes to white based knowledge and facts you're unbeatable round here, but in what'd be described as opinion you are wrong so many times. :-)

One more cup of coffee is brilliant in both Dylan and white.

it's starting to look like I'm doing it deliberately but I honestly don't like the Stripes version of that song. Have you heard their other Dylan covers? They're unbelievably good. Isis in particular.

I can't remember which one they did when I saw them live here, but the penultimate song or something was a dylan cover. Which was sort of the first thing we heard as we got into the venue :(

actually, I've just checked, that's not true, isis came in the middle. But anyway, we still missed way too much of it

1. (Dolly Parton cover)
  2. (Son House cover)
  3. (Bob Dylan cover)
  4. Encore:
Edited by Mardy

Looking back, I saw them twice in about 2 weeks, once in Moscow and once in Poland. It was a great venue in Moscow, a converted auto repair garage. It started ridiculously early.

Everything here starts late, so gigs can begin at say, 2am or something in some clubs. White Stripes? 7pm sharp on a Sunday evening. Wrong-footed all of us.

But it was bloody good, really enjoyed what I saw of it, from Isis onwards, really. Definitely better than seeing them in Gdansk/ Gydynia a fortnight later. That night Underworld fucking nailed it and the White stripes seemed a bit lost on that stage. They're a band made for small venues or huge televised events, nothing in-between I reckon. You need to see what they're doing in detail to appreciate it. And a sweaty, smokey, boozy concrete garage in Moscow was pretty fucking perfect.

I like the dead weather Dylan cover off the first albums.

To put that as the only song you dislike though and therefore his worse song when songs like st Andrew and prickly thorn exist. Or that Charles foster Kane pastiche who's name escapes me.

I hated White Moon for ages too but love it since seeing Under Great White Northern Lights. I just don't like the way he sings One more Cup of Coffee. CFK, you mean Union Forever from WBC? Great song! St Andrew and Prickly Thorn are okay too. Bat shit crazy songs that fit Icky very well.

Weighing in on the opinions wrestling by saying that The Dead Weather have a better batting average than The White Stripes in terms of %age of songs being massive bangers, but White Strips out-do them in terms of sheer volume. The debut S/T is my favourite White Stripes album.

Fight me IRL if you disagree.