Weather

matt_berr

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2011 was my favourite year, and also easily the muddiest. Only remember the conditions being bad because people here talk about it. Slogging through the mud on Saturday was indeed pretty bad, but not in any way an enduring memory of the festival.

I'm still going to be refreshing yr.no every 10 minutes until I leave tomorrow though.

Edited by Messy

I'd say not, but they were both hard work. Don't get me wrong, I put everything into regardless of the weather and love being there. But when you can't sit down all weekend, it takes a lot of the spontaneity out of things, and instead of wandering and sitting wherever you feel like in the sunshine, you're hustling from place to place in wet clothes and trying to find tents to cram into out of the rain. The only three I've found a bit of a drag because of the weather were 98, 07 and 11. 2005 was fine, as I remember it, and it only really rained once. Just very, very hard!

2010 was only marginally easier for me than 2007. I missed loads just by sleeping in the shade in various places most days. I got very muddy in 2011, but don't remember it being particularly hard. Hardest part of 2011 was getting the train. Horrible journey in (train was fine .. beer and a laugh .. queues and rain whilst queing was not) horrible journey out (queues, mud, standing up on train despite reserving a ticket).

2007 was far worse than 2011

In 2007 most of our lot did not move from their tents in Big Ground on the Sunday and watched The Who from their tents. I wanted to see Chemical Brothers so made the long

trip down to Other Stage. - what a nightmare trying to get back up to our tents - the slight slope in the circus field proved nigh on impossible for me and i am a hardy festival

veteran.

Plus trying to get out of the car parks in 2007 was a muddy nightmare wheras 2011 was no trouble !

Those temperatures ruin the whole credibility of the site for me. There's no way the max will be as low as 12 degrees .. That said, it does broadly agree with the theme of the rain moving back a day.

I think you're seeing something I can't! The lowest max temp is 15.5, still lower that what we've been getting recently, not sure how it compares to June averages

I went to glastonbury in 2004,2007,2008 and 2011. I always come on this forum around glasto time,i supose its just habbit.

Ive expreienced all weather conditions at glastonbury and ive always had the time of my life regardless of the weather!

So just enjoy the weekend ahead,i wish i was going:-(

Totally unrelated, but someone on my Facebook feed just posted this to their wall - a map of Europe displaying real-time lightning strikes. If you turn the 'detector' box off, it gives you a more clear pattern. Had a total nerd-out over it! It appears that central and southern europe is having some pretty big storms -and one isolated one in Wiltshire!

http://www.blitzortung.org/Webpages/index.php?lang=en

Edited by Dog Burger

I don't remember 2011 being as bad as people are saying, but that may be something to do with my state of mind on the Friday when (I think?) the rain was at it's worst (watching Chase and Status) and the fact that QOTSA eradicated pretty much every other memory of the festival by ending it with one of the best sets I've seen in my life.

Also, I wear proper boots rather than wellies so mud isn't usually a problem.

2007 was terrible in terms of weather, just spent the entire festival being wet! Still awesome though :)

Those temperatures ruin the whole credibility of the site for me. There's no way the max will be as low as 12 degrees .. That said, it does broadly agree with the theme of the rain moving back a day.

Why? They're "Feels like" temperatures, affected by factors like cloud cover (or not) and wind chill. They are not absolute temperatures. That website is just trying to be clever.

The rain also added to the atmosphere at Primal Scream as well, the lasers and flares looked brilliant in the drizzle.

I remember this

Sometimes you need a good set to lift your spirits when its hammering down and the Screamadelica set definitely done this.

One of my favourite ever Glastonbury sets and as you say the lights in the rain looked great!

I think you're seeing something I can't! The lowest max temp is 15.5, still lower that what we've been getting recently, not sure how it compares to June averages

Won't let me post the link ..Thursday shows max temp 12 degrees .. Sunday 11 degrees. Ave temps for June are about 19 degrees

I think the problem with 2011 was after it stopped raining and the sun came out. The mud started to dry out so made walking anywhere a right pain.

One of the biggest problems with 2011 was it was raining hard leading up to the festival and then it rained on the Wednesday morning as people were arriving, the place got churned up and took a long time to recover.

Why? They're "Feels like" temperatures, affected by factors like cloud cover (or not) and wind chill. They are not absolute temperatures. That website is just trying to be clever.

Click on the plus. The "feels like" and real temperature are pretty much the same.

Im going to read into this way too much

But using my duck powers* and looking at the trends on this forum the rain is never going to arrive because the lowpressure is moving over to France but obviously the front isn't suddenly changing directions but SLOWLY veering off course so day by day they put it back. This is good news, Duck forecast says - Slight cloud, 1 shower on Friday and Sunshine.

Predicted Rainfall - 0.5mm

*I do not have any idea how weather works.

I'm buying that one thank you.

BTW your username makes me laugh out loud every time I read it