T in The Park 2015

Matt42

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's over-stating things.

They had one of the smaller headline act crowds of recent times. I haven't been there for every headliner, but it was the smallest headliner crowd I've seen for 15+ years.

I think the crowd was pretty damm good considering the mixed opinions before. They certainly didn't fail and understood the festival and played a set tailored to suit a less metal crowd. Point I'm making, is why should T not try an alternative type headliner. It might just work

I think the crowd was pretty damm good considering the mixed opinions before. They certainly didn't fail and understood the festival and played a set tailored to suit a less metal crowd.

The crowd size was helped by the options up against it, i'd say.

But having said that, I'm not trying to suggest they failed. I don't think they were a less suitable choice as headliner than anything else.

Point I'm making, is why should T not try an alternative type headliner. It might just work

It's slightly different at T. T is already struggling compared to how it was a few years ago, and i'm not sure that having an act that old and that niche who play the UK every summer (so don't have rareity value) would be the best move they could make for going forwards.

I know there's a lot of T-ers here to wish for the indie line-ups of ten-ish years ago, but I don't see any long future for T myself, if that's how they went.

Things move on in music, and T needs to move with it. Booking Metallica would be too regressive for T, i'd say.

The crowd size was helped by the options up against it, i'd say.

But having said that, I'm not trying to suggest they failed. I don't think they were a less suitable choice as headliner than anything else.

It's slightly different at T. T is already struggling compared to how it was a few years ago, and i'm not sure that having an act that old and that niche who play the UK every summer (so don't have rareity value) would be the best move they could make for going forwards.

I know there's a lot of T-ers here to wish for the indie line-ups of ten-ish years ago, but I don't see any long future for T myself, if that's how they went.

Things move on in music, and T needs to move with it. Booking Metallica would be too regressive for T, i'd say.

Aye Neil you may have a point. They've maybe missed the boat with that type of booking and as you've said frequently it is basically a pop festival, booking the bands that are the favourites at the time. I personally think T has gone stale but maybe it's me getting older !

I personally think T has gone stale but maybe it's me getting older !

From the comments i've read on here in recent years, I'd say you're not alone in thinking it's gone stale.

It'll be interesting to see what it does at its new home, as it gives it a chance to try and re-invent itself. And the festival scene has moved away from huge barren airfields, so it could feel much more cosy; DF have already shown they can do better than old-Balado T with Connect.

From the comments i've read on here in recent years, I'd say you're not alone in thinking it's gone stale.

It'll be interesting to see what it does at its new home, as it gives it a chance to try and re-invent itself. And the festival scene has moved away from huge barren airfields, so it could feel much more cosy; DF have already shown they can do better than old-Balado T with Connect.

I certainly think DF lost their way. Connect was ace apart from being a real pain in the erse to get to.

Maybe as you say, a move from Balado will give them a chance to reassess and put some life back into the festival. My own opinion is that the years of selling out in hours made them complacent and they felt they could put on anything and it would still sell out.

Foreign festivals offering better value and low air fares gave their audience more attractive options and they didn't react to that.

I went to the first T and always felt I had to support my local major festival, but it became a chore the last few years, hence the trip to Download.

I hope Strathallan is a success

What do you lot think of the libertines

Played in Scotland little enough to ensure that they'll still be a big deal for fans up here, despite the shows they've already done in the UK. Not got much interest in seeing them myself, and would rather sit with a six pack at my tent than watch them, but they're a decent enough choice for a headliner.

It worked for The Stone Roses tbf

I don't get that one either but at least they were before my time so I'd expect not to :P The Libs were literally at their peak when I started listening to music and Razorlight, The Darkness, Lostprophets etc all felt much bigger to me back then than the Libs did but if it helps Pete's journey to recovery then I'm happy this is working out for them.

What do you lot think of the libertines

I love them, they're probably my 2nd favourite Indie Rock band after Arcade Fire

Dont understand why they've had such a massive reunion hype when they only produced two albums, very few memorable songs, and were fairly notorious for being unreliable live, but the hits are okay.

They've had quite an impact on the UK rock scene to be fair though. Basically the UK equivalent of The Strokes (which I believe was someones intention, can't remember where I read it though)

The Libertines, when on form are absolutely electric live, I've seen them at a good time in their career and a bad, and when they are on it's truly special, I'm really looking forward to see what they've for to offer headlining T, I'm confident it'll be memorable

Also, have you been hearing positive info on Kasabian again Neil? I presume so with the SR?

I don't get that one either but at least they were before my time so I'd expect not to :P The Libs were literally at their peak when I started listening to music and Razorlight, The Darkness, Lostprophets etc all felt much bigger to me back then than the Libs did but if it helps Pete's journey to recovery then I'm happy this is working out for them.

I'm a big fan of Pete's stuff in general. Although I only really got into music round about the same time as Babyshambles' first album came out so missed the Libs hype first time round. Having already seen them when they first reformed at Leeds festival back in 2010 I'm not overly fussed about seeing them again. But it is nice to see a different headliner at T that I actually like (as opposed to Mumford when they did it or Florence as rumoured). So would probably see them if I end up going.

All depends on the rest of the lineup though. Libertines aren't enough to get me there on their own, but it's a decent start imo.

Edited by Deeps

Anybody think there is any chance of

Alabama shakes

Nas

Hozier

Wu tang clan

Passenger

I would say Alabama Shakes more than likely not, maybe not wouldn't be a very prominent slot or crowd

Nas unlikely playing glasgow not long before T

Hozier more than likely yes, main stage mid-way through the day

Wu tang unlikely, playing glasgow doesn't jump out as a titp booking

Passenger, don't know if he's touring if he is probably yes