Metallica 2014

JamesT977

it just seems like an odd booking from someone who likes a variation of music, to have such a niche genre (heavy metal) as the main band of the weekend

You do realise what you said there right? If they like having a variation of genre, but never had a metal headliner before , surely it makes sense?

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm still wondering if there is any chance of anyone except for metallica? I'm just thinking yes they're a big band, but to your average glasto goer (who by the way is not the people on here) it would not be an excellent headliner. They provide very little balance to the line up and while i think everything has its place at glasto, its place may not be on the prime spot of the whole festival (i personally don't believe they will get a big crowd at all in relative terms) it just seems like an odd booking from someone who likes a variation of music, to have such a niche genre (heavy metal) as the main band of the weekend

well Prince was obviously the first option with Metallica headlining Other against him, but, as always, Prince is a pain in the arse and that didn't work out, so i guess it was much easier to bump Metallica, and already booked act, up the lineup than try and find somebody else - so yes they may not be the 'ideal' headliner or huge-crowd bringing headliner, but they will nail it. i cannot wait

Edited by FloorFiller

I don't completely rule out the possibility of it being someone else.

But I do think that even if there's another Pyramid headliner, that Metallica will be playing (perhaps headlining Other after all, who knows?).

As far as I'm aware there's still the possibility of Prince coming back into the mix, and that might cause Glasto to make different choices at the top end of the bill.

You do realise what you said there right? If they like having a variation of genre, but never had a metal headliner before , surely it makes sense?

yes i get that, but surely they should tailor that variation to the stage and potential audience... headliners should be the main act that gets the biggest crowd should it not?

But I do think that even if there's another Pyramid headliner, that Metallica will be playing (perhaps headlining Other after all, who knows?).

they just don't seem like the kind of legendary act that people would say "wow look who's headlining glastonbury this year"(e.g, the stones,personally I'm not a fan at all, but even i was there last year and said "a legendary act playing in the biggest slot" because i can appreciate that the masses would like them), i think the other stage would be a superb setting for metallica, perfect crowd size etc, but i would argue their appeal is not broad enough for a saturday headliner slot at glasto

they just don't seem like the kind of legendary act that people would say "wow look who's headlining glastonbury this year"(e.g, the stones,personally I'm not a fan at all, but even i was there last year and said "a legendary act playing in the biggest slot" because i can appreciate that the masses would like them), i think the other stage would be a superb setting for metallica, perfect crowd size etc, but i would argue their appeal is not broad enough for a saturday headliner slot at glasto

This discussion has been running and running. Question - how many "legendary acts" are there?

I honestly believe that the average Glastonbury goer will go and see Metallica because they're headlining the Pyramid - don't think they'll get that small a crowd.

Depends who else is on I guess, but if Jack White is on beforehand I could be tempted to stick around and watch a bit of them, I'm sure we'll at least get a 'moment' with Ecstasy of Gold, Pyramid crowd should enjoy that.

Edited by GlastoSimon

there's only so many acts of near Rolling Stones statue, and Glasto has done 'em all already.

Of bands below that mega-mega level, there's few if any as big as Metallica - and I say that as someone who has absolutely no interest whatsoever in seeing them.

i just don't think people, outside of metallica fans, will particularly want to see them, there are a few big bands floating around that i think would be a much less harsh "jump straight in the deep end" of heavier music, i just can't see metallica having that broad appeal and it makes the line up very 'rock heavy'

As far as I'm aware there's still the possibility of Prince coming back into the mix, and that might cause Glasto to make different choices at the top end of the bill.

What is it which is currently causing Prince to not already be in the mix? I'm really, really wanting him to play. Metallica/Prince split would be very pleasant if it could happen!

jay z had a big worldwide audience though, just coming into hip-pop popularity in music whereas i don't see music going towards metal although i suppose they are a big band anyway... yes I'm sure fans of metallica will see it as the best performance they do, however i'm praying for someone else! haha

i just don't think people, outside of metallica fans, will particularly want to see them, there are a few big bands floating around that i think would be a much less harsh "jump straight in the deep end" of heavier music, i just can't see metallica having that broad appeal and it makes the line up very 'rock heavy'

You could say the same thing about Jay Z though really. Granted he stunk the place out but the field was packed .It is mildly interesting to see the festival go out of its comfort zone.

What is it which is currently causing Prince to not already be in the mix? I'm really, really wanting him to play. Metallica/Prince split would be very pleasant if it could happen!

the fact that Emily Eavis said they didn't have him booked. granted that was said with an air of 'we don't have him yet' but as it stands Metallica are looking a lot more likely

There are simply no other "heavy" band that can compete with these guys chief. Your point is well made - but you just need to be prepared to have your expectations and opinions challenged.

Lemme go back to the last really big "rock" trio in '09.

Shakey is spoken about on this forum (certainly in recent months) as one of the greatest performances in recent years. Yet he banged out a 22 minute version of Down By The River. Had we been informed of this in advance it wouldve sounded a bit much - but on the night it was glorious.

The next night I fully expected Springsteen to be as engaging and connective as any performer that stepped onto the stage - yet he appeared to me aloof and distant to the point of not really "getting it" at all.

Blur could have been described as one of the flakiest and paper-thin bands of their size in the last 15 years with nonsense "story" songs from other perspectives. But their performance left people reeling under the emotion of it all.

- - -

The fest will find a way dude. Metallica are poorly named. Something like "Nothing Else Matters" is tailor-made for the Pyramid. They'll nail it.

the fact that Emily Eavis said they didn't have him booked. granted that was said with an air of 'we don't have him yet' but as it stands Metallica are looking a lot more likely

From what i've been able to ascertain, the 'yet' was purely about the offer remaining open, and not because there's a particularly big belief he'll come back and say yes - tho they obviously still think it's not impossible, and as far as I know he's not said 'no' either.