Metallica 2014

JamesT977

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You are very much wrong there. There would be tonnes interested to see what the fuss is about.

Who would not want to see that Ennio Morricone intro?

intrigue, but realising heavy metal is not for them and drifting off after the intro... "i only stayed because i love jack white and thought i'd check them out after" is not how you want the saturday night headliner to be remembered is it?

intrigue, but realising heavy metal is not for them and drifting off after the intro... "i only stayed because i love jack white and thought i'd check them out after" is not how you want the saturday night headliner to be remembered is it?

ahh, but any act has the chance to nail it, and if they do then they'll succeed in a way you might not expect.

I believe that a large number (not me) of people stayed for all of JayZ, and I reckon a large part of those were hooked in by how he started. For them, by the time it'd turned to gash it probably wasn't worth going anywhere else so they stayed to the end.

Edited by eFestivals

As Russy said (and fair play to him, thought he'd avoid Metallica with a barge pole), it's about experiencing new stuff, which is the epitome of Glastonbury.

Yes there will be some - me included - who aren't into heavy metal (although Metallica aren't really that) at all, who go along to 'check them out' and may well leave after a few songs to do something else. That's the magic of the place. But there will also be a huge number who want to see Metallica, will stay for the set and love it.

Metallica aren't - in my eyes anyway - a niche act by any stretch of the imagination. Huge act that has played loads of stadiums, major festivals etc. in the past and I'm sure they'll put on an excellent show.

Edited by GlastoSimon

ahh, but any act has the chance to nail it, and if they do then they'll succeed in a way you might not expect.

I believe that a large number (not me) of people stayed for all of JayZ, and I reckon a large part of those were hooked in by how he started. For them, by the time it'd turned to gash it probably wasn't worth going anywhere else so they stayed to the end.

The big intro thing didn't even happen with Bruce and I still ended up glued to the spot!!

They may last longer than just the inrto considering the heavy metal part that will make their ears bleed and run away will not have started.

I reckon Metallica would have the ability and talent to keep a lot more people interested in their set then you think they would, from those who are simply there out of intrigue. You will have walkers, but you get that at all headliners. I even saw walkers at the Rolling Stones and Neil Young. Metallica wont see hordes leave unless its U2 style weather..........

Edited by ThomThomDrum

I suggest a hearing test.

It's been said before :P

Possibly the intro happened, but it didn't happen for me, but then neither did Bruce and I had high expectations of The Boss!

How come they are TBC on the rumours page then?

I believe they're playing. I believe a little less that they're definitely the Pyramid headliner.

My belief does not stretch as far as a near-certainty. It is a weaker belief than I had in Kasabian.

Having said all that, I'll be surprised if they're not the headliner. But I still wouldn't put money on, particularly not at those poor odds.

do bear in mind that even with absolutely perfect info in my hands, I have no way of knowing that it's perfect info until a festival makes it's announcement.

My info comes from a variety of sources both good and bad, and I have to weigh it all up and make an unformed decision over it. No matter how hard I try, there's always the possibility for error in the process.

I believe they're playing. I believe a little less that they're definitely the Pyramid headliner.

My belief does not stretch as far as a near-certainty. It is a weaker belief than I had in Kasabian.

Having said all that, I'll be surprised if they're not the headliner. But I still wouldn't put money on, particularly not at those poor odds.

What made you so sure Kasabian were headlining?

What made you so sure Kasabian were headlining?

some info I get I have greater reason to trust than others, and some is told to me with more certainty than others.

For example, one thing might come from a band member emailing me all the documents for their booking (which hasn't actually ever happened), and someone else might have overheard something in the bog (which has happened, and turned out to be 100% kosher).

I have to weigh up what I'm told, and who has told it to me.

Edited by eFestivals

PS: and sometimes I have to weigh up a series of snippets and make it into a coherent whole - which is pretty much what the score is with Metallica.

There's plenty of room for me to make a wrong assumption from that, but my record is excellent (as history shows), and in this particular case there's been so much come at me from all sorts of different angles and sources (both very trusted and completely unknown) that it seems impossible for it not to be true.

But it might not be true. I don't know for sure. The sources I have the most trust in have not been able to go as far as saying they are absolutely certain that it's happening, but what they've said joins up perfectly with other less-trusted stuff.

Edited by eFestivals

I'm going to miss Anthrax playing in Belfast just after Glasto as I'll still be away so Metallica is going to make up for it. Really looking like the best Glastonbury line-up yet IMO. For various reasons I have never watched them live before and they are one of my favourite bands