Arcade Fire

Zoo Music Girl

But again, I think this is where it depends on what the cover is.

1. Common People/Heroes/similar = a moment, could really elevate a great set to something which goes into the history books.

2. Month of May/We Used to Wait = cool, but if anything could dampen the atmosphere amongst a casual crowd.

However, any standard cover (such as The Cutter for example, as much as I like that song) would have the same effect as 2.

At their own show - sure I'd prefer the rarity - but rarities can often be underwhelming on the Pyramid.

But does a cover really elevate a set to be 'great'? I think Arcade Fire will pull that off without the need for such a thing. Wake Up, Normal Person, The Suburbs, Tunnels, Power Out etc. are all better moments than a cover.

Also, The Cutter (with Ian may I remind you!) was far from a 'standard' cover too. It was a moment where the band were able to play with one of their biggest influences and that was far more 'special' than a cover of Common People ever will be tbh. ;)

Pretty much but I'd rather any [well known] Pulp track over Common People. Win singing that would be kinda weird.

What would be your preference? I’d agree that I can’t really imagine Win singing Common People, but maybe he wouldn’t, he could just have the bobblehead on. I see quite a lot of similarities between the two bands actually, it’s just that Jarvis’ vocal delivery is very different. I could see Win maybe taking one of the verses though.

But does a cover really elevate a set to be 'great'? I think Arcade Fire will pull that off without the need for such a thing. Wake Up, Normal Person, The Suburbs, Tunnels, Power Out etc. are all better moments than a cover.

Also, The Cutter (with Ian may I remind you!) was far from a 'standard' cover too. It was a moment where the band were able to play with one of their biggest influences and that was far more 'special' than a cover of Common People ever will be tbh. ;)

I think by ‘great’ and ‘special’ it means more for an audience who aren’t massive fans of the band. Common People or Heroes (for example) would be really iconic moments, and have much more impact than one of their own songs or an Echo & The Bunnymen cover (you’re right though, their influence on AF is huge, that was a special moment for them for sure).

For what’s it’s worth, I don’t think there’s any chance of Bowie. Reflektor itself doesn’t really work as a guest song. What would he do? Come out, sing his two lines, then fuck off and wait for them to finish the song? Having said that, I think there’s a chance he might turn up at a New York show. Does he ever even leave there these days?

I think it needs to be something iconic like a Pulp or Bowie to be worth it though. They’ve done the Debbie Harry guest slot, and it was a nice moment, but didn’t really work musically, and would sort of lessen the Glastonbury slot, I think. James Murphy might well be a possibility with him being there now, but I don’t think he or LCD Soundsystem is really recognisable enough for it to create that kind of ‘moment’, would be better suited to one of their own gigs. But they’re pretty close, aren’t they? So they might well do it anyway because it would be special to them personally.

It’s obviously something they like to do and there are plenty of potential people around to join them, so I expect something.

Edited by bocumaroy

What would be your preference? I’d agree that I can’t really imagine Win singing Common People, but maybe he wouldn’t, he could just have the bobblehead on. I see quite a lot of similarities between the two bands actually, it’s just that Jarvis’ vocal delivery is very different. I could see Win maybe taking one of the verses though.

Razzmatazz was mentioned by someone earlier. Mis-Shapes, Something Changed or even Disco 2000; just most songs really. Just can't really see Win being able to do stuff like rhyme "corner" and "warn yer". :P

Tin Stage!?

http://www.glastonburyfestivals.co.uk/line-up/line-up-2014/

This isn't going to be 'just another Arcade Fire' gig.

Tin Stage.... Tin..... Tin Machine. More Bowie links...

(Put it this way everyone, this time next week I'll hopefully be in Pilton so anyone still rummaging around eFests won't have to put up with my fucking tenuous Bowie nonsense)

EDIT: Must be a web error, surely?

Edited by GlastoSimon
  • Upvote 1

not a normal glitch though is it, obviously taken conscious thought to make a separate stage called tin and extract arcade fire out of the pyrmaid line up and into that one.

Spose not, it does seem pre-planned.

Shows they're treating it as a special show if it is purposeful, which is what I always hoped for.

Just imagine this as the end of the show...

Sprawl II

Common People (with Jarv and Steve Mackey)

Encore: (all with Bowie)

Reflektor

"Heroes"

Wake Up

a man can dream

Was about to post the same dream. Though I'd like Common People next to Normal Person. I always figured it sounded a bit like a Pulp song.

Really wouldn't surprise me if they're doing this on purpose, but I can see Common People happening.

Of course. They're, like, the most self-aware and meta band of all time.

And there was a fake band rendition of "Heroes". So there you have it; Win reads eFestivals.

Just seen this apologies! Could our prediction of Common People, a Bowie tune and an LCD Soundsystem tune come true? Oh never...... :prankster:

Edited by BenjKJDandy