Arcade Fire

Zoo Music Girl

Will many Elbow fans actually stay? I reckon most alot of the younger ones will move on to Skrillex, some the older crowd moving on to other various things around the site.

I reckon if you are there for the end of Elbow, you could get into the barrier

I'm an elbow fan and I will be staying

Ideally I’d see be at the West Holts all the way from Vintage Trouble through to J5, but think I’m gonna compromise and do that Wild Beasts/Churches double instead. Don’t want my joy to be dampened by other people around me not really into it, which might happen if I’m a fair way back.

Well The Lumineers do a very good job of being shit, which Arcade Fire struggle to do regardless of what Floorfiller says.

No doubt that The Lumineers are not my cup of tea but people were doubting whether Arcade Fire could walkthrough the crowds like they have done at other festivals, I was merely pointing out that it has been done before so not out of the realms of possibility.

No doubt that The Lumineers are not my cup of tea but people were doubting whether Arcade Fire could walkthrough the crowds like they have done at other festivals, I was merely pointing out that it has been done before so not out of the realms of possibility.

I know, I was just kidding around. I think that's a staple of The Lumineers' live show though and I'd be surprised if Arcade Fire went for it on the Pyramid but we'll have to wait and see. The light up balls thing would be cool too, but I don't think that's much practical either.

I know, I was just kidding around. I think that's a staple of The Lumineers' live show though and I'd be surprised if Arcade Fire went for it on the Pyramid but we'll have to wait and see. The light up balls thing would be cool too, but I don't think that's much practical either.

Well I'm sure one thing we can both agree on is that whatever they do it'll be bloody brilliant

id never heard any of their stuff before but I know my mates like them and ive heard a lot about them so wanted to give them a chance, have to say though I just dont get it? ive listened to a few different albums on spotify and it just sounds like more pedestrian indie, this isnt an attack on them I just want to know what makes them so special in peoples eyes? they dont sound the most energetic or the most technically brilliant or even the most catchy they seem very.....`meh` to me am I missing something here? are they just amazing live or something and their albums dont do them justice........Im not a big electronic music fan but I think im leaning for skrillix on the friday night because at least I know his music will come off with a bang, got some energy to it etc

Yeah, it took seeing them live at Leeds 2010 for them to *click* with me.

Their shows feel slightly out of control, while being brilliantly performed at the same time.

If the Lumineers can do it, why not Arcade Fire

That field was fairly sparse when I walked by which might be one reason :P

id never heard any of their stuff before but I know my mates like them and ive heard a lot about them so wanted to give them a chance, have to say though I just dont get it? ive listened to a few different albums on spotify and it just sounds like more pedestrian indie, this isnt an attack on them I just want to know what makes them so special in peoples eyes? they dont sound the most energetic or the most technically brilliant or even the most catchy they seem very.....`meh` to me am I missing something here? are they just amazing live or something and their albums dont do them justice........Im not a big electronic music fan but I think im leaning for skrillix on the friday night because at least I know his music will come off with a bang, got some energy to it etc

They have tonnes of energy, what are you talking about squire? As fan of what people call pedestrian indie they are definitely more than that. Close your eyes, embrace...its not jump up and down, head banging but it is there:

It just sounds like more pedestrian indie, this isnt an attack on them I just want to know what makes them so special in peoples eyes? they dont sound the most energetic or the most technically brilliant or even the most catchy they seem very.....`meh` to me am I missing something here? are they just amazing live or something and their albums dont do them justice........

They are better live in my opinion.

When it clicks into place they manage to capture the THE BIG MUSIC moment that Mike Scott was harping on about and that few acts manage to pull off. That Phil Spector-ish, epic E Street band bells & whistles thing of everyone onstage absolutely going for it and the hooks coming at you in enormous, chiming waves. Not subtle and sometimes a bit self-consciously epic, but at least their sound has a bit of ambition to it.

There's only a few moments in their recorded repertoire where that really comes across.

They are better live in my opinion.

When it clicks into place they manage to capture the THE BIG MUSIC moment that Mike Scott was harping on about and that few acts manage to pull off. That Phil Spector-ish, epic E Street band bells & whistles thing of everyone onstage absolutely going for it and the hooks coming at you in enormous, chiming waves. Not subtle and sometimes a bit self-consciously epic, but at least their sound has a bit of ambition to it.

There's only a few moments in their recorded repertoire where that really comes across.

Yeah, the bit in bold. But I’ve never really agreed with the idea that they’re much better live. I mean, I love them live, and some songs definitely come into their own, but I think that ambition and cathartic energy comes across just fine on record, and seeing them live won’t change much in terms of opinion on them for *most* people (obviously testaments like Simpo’s disprove that, just my perception of their sound). The songs sound pretty much the same in both environments.

I can see why they’re not for everyone, but definitely not ‘pedestrian’. I honestly can’t really think of a band that sounds like them. Sometimes they wear their influences on their sleeve a bit much (New Order particularly at times, although they work it well), but no other contemporary bands capture the same kind of things they do, for me.

Edit: Oh, and their live shows are actually well known for their energy, although I don’t think that’s as prevalent these days. They’re getting old.

Edited by bocumaroy

Once again, what Gonzo said, although I think I like their recorded output a little more than he does.

Basically, I think they're a better pop singles band than an albums band. When it eventually arrives their greatest hits album will be cracking, but for me they've never quite managed to cut it over the duration of an album, which tend to buckle under the weight of leaden concepts and portentuous sermonising. They're at their best when they're at their most fun - and they should have got Calvin Harris to produce Reflektor rather than James Murphy.

(runs out of thread)

The first side of Reflektor is the only time I’d say they’re actively trying to be ‘fun’, and it’s by far my least favourite thing they’ve ever done. It works very well with two songs though. The second disc is much more self-serious and far more enjoyable. I guess a lot of their songs are fun to listen to because of the energy and life in them, but they’re usually pretty serious. I suppose Funeral had a ‘fun’ spirit to it, but in much more of an angsty way. Can see what you mean in the sense that it seems a lot less heavy when you view the songs in isolation.

James Murphy’s contribution was actually a bit disappointing, especially after hearing the title track (still brilliant), I was expecting a lot more dance. They’d actually written it before he became involved, so it was my unrealistic hopes/expectations of some kind of AF/LCD collaboration, more than anything.

Edited by bocumaroy

The first side of Reflektor is the only time Id say theyre actively trying to be fun, and its by far my least favourite thing theyve ever done. It works very well with two songs though. The second disc is much more self-serious and far more enjoyable. I guess a lot of their songs are fun to listen to because of the energy and life in them, but theyre usually pretty serious. I suppose Funeral had a fun spirit to it, but in much more of an angsty way. Can see what you mean in the sense that it seems a lot less heavy when you view the songs in isolation.

James Murphys contribution was actually a bit disappointing, especially after hearing the title track (still brilliant), I was expecting a lot more dance. Theyd actually written it before he became involved, so it was my unrealistic hopes/expectations of some kind of AF/LCD collaboration, more than anything.

Likewise when I heard that they were trying to incorporate a more Haitian feel and Carribbean influence I envisaged something a bit different (and better) to the eventual end product. I dunno about that first side of Reflektor being fun - I was hoping that they'd be hitting the dancefloor with all guns blazing, but it's still all a bit torn faced and dour.

Friday 6th June

Doors: 18:00

DJ Steve Mackey: 18:00 - 19:00

Owen Pallett: 19:00 - 19:40

Arcade Fire: 20:15 - 22:00

DJ Steve Mackey: 22:00 - 22:30

Saturday 7th June

Doors: 18:00

2Manydjs: 18:00 - 19:00

Lorde: 19:00 - 19:45

2Manydjs: 19:45 - 20:20

Arcade Fire: 20:20 - 22:00

2Manydjs: 22:00 - 22:30

We get 5 extra minutes tonight ;)

I'm Still missing something. Don't get it.

Tinariwen here I come.

Its ok, you just clearly don't have a soul :P

Likewise when I heard that they were trying to incorporate a more Haitian feel and Carribbean influence I envisaged something a bit different (and better) to the eventual end product. I dunno about that first side of Reflektor being fun - I was hoping that they'd be hitting the dancefloor with all guns blazing, but it's still all a bit torn faced and dour.

I know what you mean, but you see loads of that with anticipated albums. Band makes a comment about an influrence on a couple of tracks and all of a sudden its a complete sound change. Like when Muse were going "Dubstep"

and yeah was just going those times from the email. I'll be happy again if we friday goers get an extra song or a special cover version!

Bad Cover Version - Pulp! :P

Edited by LondonTom