Arcade Fire

Zoo Music Girl

you were right on course until you said The Suburbs was their best album. it's Funeral. undoubtedly. hence why they still play up to 2/3rds of that album live (like last nights show) whereas The Suburbs tracks are whittled down to the bare minimum

i know it's all down to opinion etc, and who knows what the band think, but they're still clearly very fond of Funeral in a live environment (whether that's because they know the audience want it or it's a personal preference, who knows)

I’d agree, Funeral is still my favourite, but I think a big part of The Suburbs’ brilliance it’s completeness as an album, so it can’t really be judged completely on how many songs are on the current setlist. I wish they’d played Half Light II live more often.

Or perhaps it was a joke.

Edit: Though not about some of their music being not very good. That was serious.

It wasn't a very clear one then, sorry.

the first half of reflektor is the weakest thing they've ever done, so disjointed.

and elsewhere in the thread, this is what makes the suburbs for me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZ5TRMutAn0

i could get lost in those strings and lyrics forever

I’d agree, Funeral is still my favourite, but I think a big part of The Suburbs’ brilliance it’s completeness as an album, so it can’t really be judged completely on how many songs are on the current setlist. I wish they’d played Half Light II live more often.

You're right about The Suburbs, it's definitely an album which when listened to is greater than the sum of it's parts, although there's obviously still some brilliant songs on it.

they probably think playing Flashbulb Eyes at every gig has some kind of funny irony to it with all the flashes going off in front of them, but the irony is lost when the song is garbage

don't mind Joan Of Arc though. not the best song but reckon it'll be great live

• Downvote 1

The Suburbs is probably my least favourite. I only ever listen to about half the songs on it these days. The run of songs from Rococo to the Half Lights is pretty dull imo. It does have Sprawl II on Suburban War on though so I still like it.

I'll always have a soft spot for Neon Bible as it was the album that got me into them, and the only really drab track on it is the title track.

Funeral is their only album that nears perfection.

Funeral > The Suburbs > Reflektor > EP > Neon Bible

I adore neon bible but there are some dire songs on there, most notably the title track which is one of the dullest things I've ever heard.

The EP doesn't really get mentioned that much but I really like that too, win's vocals are amazing I think.

Reflektor I like a lot as well but if they maybe cut the endings to some of the so ga down it would be much better. I reckon it's their best concept to date though.

The Suburbs is the only one that comes close to funeral for me. It was my entry point for arcade fire pretty much and I still listen to it lots. Songs like suburban war and the title track are so beautifully crafted.

And there isn't much to say about funeral. Stunning start to finish.

I really like this band, a lot.

and elsewhere in the thread, this is what makes the suburbs for me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZ5TRMutAn0

i could get lost in those strings and lyrics forever

I said they’d never been great at subtlety earlier, but a lot of The Suburbs actually goes against that. This and Half Light I in particular. I’d forgotten how gorgeous that song was. Fuck it, I’ll completely contradict myself and say that the first three albums are pretty much level.

No worries. They could definitely construct an all killer no filler setlist for the G, but it's going to be difficult if they insist on including things like Flashbulb Eyes, Joan of Arc and We Exist.

I was a bit worried about this if it was 90 minutes, but I don’t think it’ll be a problem now. We Exist is the main weak point, and Joan of Arc is pretty boring apart from Regine’s vocals towards the end, but it’s only two songs out of what, about 18? I know I keep saying it but I’ve got a lot of time for Flashbulb Eyes live.

The lack of love for Half Light I and Neon Bible (the song) is upsetting here. “Vial of hope and a vial of pain, in the light they both looked the same”. Fun/not fun fact: Thom Yorke’s favourite AF song, apparently.

I'm with you on Half Light I, one of the best songs on The Suburbs.

"I adore neon bible but there are some dire songs on there, most notably the title track which is one of the dullest things I've ever heard."

For me neon bible is the prelude for intervention. Intervention is just such an epic, from the mountain-top song that it needed a moment of stillness before it.

Out of interest, what do people here think of the War On Drugs new album? Thought it would have a lot of cross-over appeal. 'In reverse' could pretty much have been on the suburbs with win singing it instead

The lack of love for Half Light I and Neon Bible (the song) is upsetting here. “Vial of hope and a vial of pain, in the light they both looked the same”. Fun/not fun fact: Thom Yorke’s favourite AF song, apparently.

i have a soft spot for Neon Bible (song). i know there isn't much to it but there's just something about it that's always struck a chord with me and i often find myself with it stuck in my head

the two Half Light songs never did much for me tbh. Suburban War on the other hand is one of their best songs ever, up their with the best from Funeral for me

"I adore neon bible but there are some dire songs on there, most notably the title track which is one of the dullest things I've ever heard."

For me neon bible is the prelude for intervention. Intervention is just such an epic, from the mountain-top song that it needed a moment of stillness before it.

Out of interest, what do people here think of the War On Drugs new album? Thought it would have a lot of cross-over appeal. 'In reverse' could pretty much have been on the suburbs with win singing it instead

Love it. One of my favourites of the year so far.

And I kind of agree re. Neon Bible - it works in the context of the album but I'd never single it out to listen to. I think the production lets the album down actually. Sounds pretty flat to my ears these days.

…most under-rated track on the suburbs…really encapsulates the theme of feeling estranged…wish they'd play this sometime (and my favourite on the album, Deep Blue)...

"Cops shone their lights

On the reflectors of our bikes
Said "Do you kids know what time it is?"
Well, sir, it's the first time I felt like something is mine
Like I have something to give

The last defender of the sprawl
Said "Well, where do you kids live?"
Well, sir, if you only knew what the answer is worth
Been searching every corner of the earth…"

http://youtu.be/aEz2skFPyxs

…most under-rated track on the suburbs…really encapsulates the theme of feeling estranged…wish they'd play this sometime (and my favourite on the album, Deep Blue)...

"Cops shone their lights

"The last defender of the sprawl" is my favourite Arcade Fire line.

"Cops shone their lights

This. This is why The Suburbs will always be my favourite AF album. The album addresses everything that matters to be a human and individual in this crazy, fucked-up 21st century society we live in. From social alienation, the lost of youth and innocence, rapid globalisation, marketisation, fear of technology, broken capitalism, and the ubiquitous notion of growing old into a unfamiliar environment. The concept and nostalgia of 'the suburbs' is all this and more. They were so on the ball, perhaps even ahead of time with this album. It sits comfortably alongside OK Computer for me for these reasons.

Edited by AStormInHeaven

This. This is why The Suburbs will always be my favourite AF album. The album addresses everything that matters to be a human and individual in this crazy, fucked-up 21st century society we live in. From social alienation, the lost of youth, innocence, globalisation, marketisation, broken capitalism, and the ubiquitous notion of growing old into a unfamiliar environment. The concept of the suburbs is all this and more. They were so on the ball, perhaps even ahead of time with this album. It sits comfortably alongside OK Computer for me for these reasons.

It's funny you mention OK computer, as Sprawl I makes me feel the same way Exit Music does…similar tempo, but other than than thematically and melodically very different. Just seems to evoke the same response in me...

It's funny you mention OK computer, as Sprawl I makes me feel the same way Exit Music does…similar tempo, but other than than thematically and melodically very different. Just seems to evoke the same response in me...

the whole disillusionment and underlying fear with society is really what connects the two albums for me. The sound is yeah completely different, just get the response as you do.

"now you're knocking at my door saying please come out with us tonight, but I would rather be alone, then pretend I feel alright." You can almost imagine yorke groaning that on homesick alien.

And the start of suburban war is definitely a nod to there is a light that never goes out!

Edited by AStormInHeaven