Films

Rufus Gwertigan

District 9 is pretty damn good, for shame I have never seen blade runner all the way through.

I'm in the "Bladerunner was probably great at the time but a bit dull now" camp. Can't deny how great it is for the time though.

there's like a new Elf in The Hobbit - ooo purist backlash

They'd need to introduce more than that to interest me. Tried watching some of the last film. Dogshit. A load of berks sitting round a table in cheap panto gear speaking like they're in a low budget Shakespeare play.

Just returned from a screening of Gravity. Absolutely brilliant film. Clooney and Bullock are solid but its all about the quite incredible camera work and visuals. I know they've cheated somewhere, but the first 20 mins or so seem to be one continuous shot. A breathtaking technical achievement. Surely a couple of Oscars.

Yeah? I shall have to check it out. Previously all I knew about it was that some physicists mocked it.

@big joe, regarding your previous comments on gore/horror, it's not just you, I feel exactly the same way, The Omen scares you, but modern "horror" just seems intent on disgusting you.

Yeah? I shall have to check it out. Previously all I knew about it was that some physicists mocked it.

@big joe, regarding your previous comments on gore/horror, it's not just you, I feel exactly the same way, The Omen scares you, but modern "horror" just seems intent on disgusting you.

Indeed. It might have been Hostel that broke me. I suddenly found myself thinking 'Why am i watching this?'. When i picture the writers/producers sat round discussing what these kind of films will be like, i just imagine death scene brainstorming sessions. "A baseball bat driven up a guys ass? Like it!", "Acid poured into a pregnant womans stomach? Genius!". Shit like that, plot an afterthought. One has to wonder about the mentality of someone who wants to watch Human Centipede and the like.

Hostel was, oddly, also the straw that broke the camel's back for me. A half decent premise for a film which did nothing for me other than revolt.

The thing is, there seem to be desensitised audiences out there lapping this up. It reminds me very much that I used to enjoy reading horror as a teenage, until I picked up a Shaun Hutson book, to this day the only book I never finished.

Well ... moving swiftly from one extreme to the other, saw Phantom of the Opera earlier this week. Nope, not the Lloyd-Webber or Crawford offering nor indeed any of the numerous versions produced in my lifetime but the original 1925 silent movie complete with live accompaniment on an almost equally ancient and original Compton organ :O

Have to say a very interesting experience and perhaps surprisingly, also a very enjoyable 90+ mins :) Putting aside a significant amount of overacting (somewhat more hammy than your typical deli counter and all that !) as was the norm at the time, it's pretty d@mn impressive film given it's age. Although a certain amount of overacting is necessary to an extent I guess given the lack of dialogue and/or effects to convey emotion and other relevant stuff although there were some title cards used as well of course. Even some primitive colour for one scene in this particular print. I would never have imagined a 90+ min silent movie would have been quite so watchable as it was even with an exceptionally good live accompaniment had I not actually seen/heard it for myself ... and all without a single word spoken or car chase, fight, explosion, blood, guts, naked body or, dare I say it, baseball bat up the @rse in sight :lol:

Just returned from a screening of Gravity. Absolutely brilliant film. Clooney and Bullock are solid but its all about the quite incredible camera work and visuals. I know they've cheated somewhere, but the first 20 mins or so seem to be one continuous shot. A breathtaking technical achievement. Surely a couple of Oscars.

Same with Children of Men. They (director and cinematographer) came up with some really innovative camera rigs, the single-shot rotation in the car as they're driving is gobsmacking, yet it doesn't detract from the film, the focus is on the film/actors so you don't really notice it until you see a Making Of.