Films

Rufus Gwertigan

Nolan's Dark Knight trilogy is being considered a completely separate universe to The Man of Steel. They wanted to bring in an actor in his 40's as Batman for Man of Steel 2 as they wanted a veteran Batman, or at least a Batman that had been fighting crime for a while.

Yeah, when they announced it they said the Dark Knight Returns (an iconic comic where a middled aged batman comes out of retirement and ends with Supes and Bats fighting each other) was the influence.

I wonder if they will just ignore the Nolan trilogy now then? Or weirdly explain why Batman is different now. Seems a weird thing to do if they are trying to compete with the MCU.

Well without Nolan they can't keep making Nolan Batman films and he doesn't want to make them but is keeping an influence on them by being a producer mainly to bulk up his CV, he apparently didn't want Superman to end the way it did but gave in anyway.

If they did keep all Nolan flicks in cannon then it would only bring problems in the long term having to explain aliens, amazons and why every other baddie has super powers in a "grounded world". They dont' need to introduce Batman this way but if they did introduce other characters like Aquaman, Flash etc in Superman films and then lead up to a Justice League it could very well work and not just be a carbon copy of what Marvel did.

Think it is a slightly crap choice but i'm not too bother as he is cast in Man Of Steel and i really don't care about a Superman series. How much screen time will he get anyway when it is a Superman film?

It's not Man Of Steel 2 tho, it's gonna be called "Superman vs Batman" or "Batman vs Superman" depending on who they decide name should go 1st.

Nolan's Dark Knight trilogy is being considered a completely separate universe to The Man of Steel. They wanted to bring in an actor in his 40's as Batman for Man of Steel 2 as they wanted a veteran Batman, or at least a Batman that had been fighting crime for a while.

Well that sucks!!!

If they did keep all Nolan flicks in cannon then it would only bring problems in the long term having to explain aliens, amazons and why every other baddie has super powers in a "grounded world". They dont' need to introduce Batman this way but if they did introduce other characters like Aquaman, Flash etc in Superman films and then lead up to a Justice League it could very well work and not just be a carbon copy of what Marvel did.

I don't know, not really. It's not really touched on in the Nolan films (Well Lazarus's Pit aside, it was kind of hinted at that Ra's al Ghul could be alive/live forever) Don't think it needs explaining really, just have John Blake become Batman, towards the end his getting arse handed to him by Superman/The villan and Bruce Wayne shows up to reclaim the Batman persona.

Boom connected universe, not that it matters all to much I guess. I just really like the way all the MCU films are connected.

Well that sucks!!!

I don't know, not really. It's not really touched on in the Nolan films (Well Lazarus's Pit aside, it was kind of hinted at that Ra's al Ghul could be alive/live forever) Don't think it needs explaining really, just have John Blake become Batman, towards the end his getting arse handed to him by Superman/The villan and Bruce Wayne shows up to reclaim the Batman persona.

Boom connected universe, not that it matters all to much I guess. I just really like the way all the MCU films are connected.

Was it? He said along the lines that he's immortal by having a heir to carry one his mission but apart from that he's pretty much dead in those films, Talia motivation in the 3rd film is to avenge her dead Papa.

The multiple Batman thing sounds like a disaster in the making, the Marvel flicks worked together as they didn't have baggage to carry and when those films are at their weakest it’s because of baggage from the previous films like Iron Man 2.

I love the Marvel movies. Looking forward to the next phase of these characters. Avengers is such a big dumb daft fun movie that still manages to tap into the spirit of the comics without being derogatory or disrespectful with incessant changes and alterations. They just lifted the avengers out of the comic and stuck them on screen and did it with gusto and conviction. The only thing I didn't like was that Captain America replaced what could have been awesome stuff like Nazi-punching, tank riding, trench hopping etc with some generic superhero stuff (lasers, masked storm troopers etc) - would have loved it if it was a bit more of a war movie but with Cap in it.

Not looking forward to Batman vs Superman I have to say. Seems like they want to have their version of Avengers but unlike Marvel don't seem to understand how to build that up properly. They just see the $$$ potential and want something shat out as fast as possible.

Seeing Batman and Superman clash in the comics was an event because they had been trusted partners for decades. Rushing straight to their conflict without any history will make for one seriously shallow showdown. It just won't matter. Batman and Superman used to have scuffles over differences but they never had a fight to the death until their political agendas became massively opposed over the years. It carried a sense of tragedy.

Continuing Batman from the Bale universe would undermine the 'rules' of the Nolan trilogy completely. It would seem weird and hugely forced to have either Bale or the Gordon Levitt be Batman. Also, lets not forget that in the Nolan universe Bane beat Batman easily, and Batman was adapted into that world as a grounded character. There's no way the hyper-realistic Batman depicted in Dark Knight getting mauled by dogs and a scrawny man in clown paint would last 2 minutes against a God who, unlike in the comics, would actually snap his neck before he saw him coming.

To have a new Batman played by a new actor would be a better option in order to establish that this Batman is from the Man Of Steel universe and so would have new rules, and so could actually put up a fight. It's still going to suck because he too will be a new face with no history with Superman and so no drama. It'll be as exciting as Man Of Steel where Superman spends a good hour punching a giant laser snake thing in the middle of nowhere - the audience are not going to give a shit about any of it. Having him punch Batman will mean fuck all if there's no history there, no tragedy or story that justifies having these two characters clash. That kind of story should brew slowly and the fight becomes an act of desperation where neither can back down. A new Batman fighting Superman would be completely interchangeable with any other human punching bag.

Who are we trying to kid? Let's face it, Man Of Steel wasn't that good - most of it consisted of Metropolis being levelled and Superman not really saving anybody or being much of a hero, with heavy handed Jesus imagery and lacking the soul of the Christopher Reeve version. Let's just expect more of this over-serious militaristic crap. The whole thing is one big cash grab and it's going to be a clusterfuck.

It's Zack Snyder. The guys movies are like watching a movie made by a 12 year old boy.

Edited by Purple Monkey

Elysium - ok, enjoyable, easy watching stuff. Sharlto Copley is great in it, a real nasty piece of work. Not sure why so many of Jodie Foster's lines seemed to have been over-dubbed though, started to annoy me.

Yeah thats pretty much how I felt about it too. Good, but not great. Looked absolutely incredible. Not sure what the deal was with her accent!

Damn good choice for Lex Luthor!

Shame he will be likely overshadowed by a shitload of boring action sequences featuring CG Affleck and Superman. As pessimistic as that sounds, just remember how correct I probably am on this one. I really don't want to be right, but I 100% totally am.

Really not sure about having Batman in the sequel. Should have just been Luthor.

There must be at least one scene of Lex concocting schemes in just his underpants, too.

Edited by Purple Monkey

What Maisie Knew

Such a great film, it keeps making you so angry, and then so happy, the flip flop of emotion is incredible!

I quite like how the end is left open, is that the next day and they're going on the boat like she was promised by her father figure? Is that a year later and they've bought the house and are making breakfast together like the family they've become? I like to think so :)

Irony indeed. If they make it a 15 or an 18, potentially it could be good. If they head for the world war z mass market - they will fuck it up bigtime. also, I dont wanna see robots fighting robots, I wanna see robocop fighting crime.

Nice to see ED209 hasn't been overlooked.