Future festival headliners

Guest Ulysses

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's unlikely there will be, society and the music industry have changed so much since the 60's/70's/80's that 'legends' like the ones some people currently worship are unliekly to be created again due to the quick exposure, public scrutiny and fast turnover of popular acts that seem to be the way things are done nowadays. 'Legends' aren't created in the same way or even defined the same way any more so there probably won't be any modern artists to compare to the likes of Bowie/McCartney in 20 years time as they won't have had the longevity or cultural impact.

Dunno why you think their populairty is declining. Just announced an arena tour which seems to be selling well, and they headlined Latitude which either sold out or came close to selling out.

They could easily headline Glastonbury next year without a doubt. I think they will if Rolling Stones say no

If daft punk continue making albums and their music progresses i could see them being a viable headliner for years to come. Give them a really big album and I could see hot chip doing what elbow did and becoming a lot bigger. If (and it's a huge if i know) bloc party or franz ferdinand could make an album like their debuts they could also.

Obviously none of these compare to the maccas, who, stevie wonder etc but not all of the previous headliners have been like that - i don't think say biffy clyro, the mumfords and vaccines are that much less popular now than Skunk anansie, travis and the stereophonics were then (though they're all of arguable quality). Radiohead, jack white, arcade fire and

perhaps noel as others have said could well be the 'legend headliner' slot with whatever is big at the time filling other slots and each

generation will have their own major artists (whether the previous generation like them or not - did many people over forty love the beatles at the time?).

That said I think there are fewer genuinely talented musicians given the chance to become truly iconic these days with bands having less of a shelf life and not being given the time to progress. I also think they seem less exclusive as they're constantly touring to pay the bills whereas bands could disappear for long periods before, relying on album sales for cash, and come back bigger than they left. In terms of new artists and styles we are in a rut at the moment with nothing huge coming along for a while but it will. When it does most people on here (myself included) probably won't like it and will end up on smaller stages - which i am entirely fine with!

Edited by DJL

There are no band/artists coming through that are anything like a bowie or a mccartney.

Florence and the machine wont suddenly be amazing when we look back on her in 20 years time. She's shite now and she'll be shite then,

KOL are bog average. Are you comparing them to the likes of the who et al?

Edited by thesecretingredientiscrime

Didn't Arctic Monkeys headline a year and a half after releasing their debut album? I can't think of any new artists that has that much fuss and hype around them that that could happen again in the near future. And also, I just can see The Maccabees headlining Glasto.

There are no band/artists coming through that are anything like a bowie or a mccartney.

Florence and the machine wont suddenly be amazing when we look back on her in 20 years time. She's shite now and she'll be shite then,

KOL are bog average. Are you comparing them to the likes of the who et al?

Edited by rug568

Not too sure if anyone has mentioned them but The XX, if there second album does as good as their first. Also with subbing Bestival this year and I should imagine getting a high spot next year at Glasto, headlining for them could be possible by the time of their 3rd album?

It does make me laugh that people consider TDCC and The Macabees as future headliners. I was at a BBQ over the weekend talking to friend discussing future headliners and he made the point that headliners need big songs that everyone knows, or "hits and anthems" as he put it. Macabees and TDCC are good bands in their own right but Macabees are 3 albums in and they still dont have a universal song that a casual music fan would know.

It does make me laugh that people consider TDCC and The Macabees as future headliners. I was at a BBQ over the weekend talking to friend discussing future headliners and he made the point that headliners need big songs that everyone knows, or "hits and anthems" as he put it. Macabees and TDCC are good bands in their own right but Macabees are 3 albums in and they still dont have a universal song that a casual music fan would know.

I agree that the likes of TDCC and the Maccabees just dont have any crossover appeal for non fans (I like them both by the way). Mumford and Sons are nailed on to headline one day, same with Florence. The only name mentioned so far by anyone that really excited me was Biffy Clyro.

I expect we'll see far more repeat bookings in future, Coldplay and Radiohead in particular will play every 4 years or so.

I agree that the likes of TDCC and the Maccabees just dont have any crossover appeal for non fans (I like them both by the way). Mumford and Sons are nailed on to headline one day, same with Florence. The only name mentioned so far by anyone that really excited me was Biffy Clyro.

I expect we'll see far more repeat bookings in future, Coldplay and Radiohead in particular will play every 4 years or so.