T in the Park 2013

Guest Chiefski

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can see your point but euro fests tend to have more days of music for example sziget, werchter, benicassim. does sziget have the bigger depth in the lineup than say reading as its on for 7 days and countless stages?

So if your going by days and bands playing(which is a bit of a daft argument) then the likes of werchter and sziget and festivals on longer beat uk fests hands down.

Edited by mrtourette

You didn't see that pop dross as pop dross because it was *your* pop dross, and that made it somehow credible in your own mind. The stuff you're now seeing as pop dross is credible to a younger generation than you.

That's how things have always worked and will continue to work.

It seems the main reason people are annoyed at this announcement is primarily Rihanna (not talking about this forum but in general FB etc etc) people seem to be quite accepting of Mumfords headlining and with Jake Bugg, OMAM and Alt j, they have 3 up and coming bands who are very talented, sure its not ideal but I think a lot of people are missing the bigger picture here (again not talking about this forum)

I'll stop you there. I have never particularly liked any pop music.

pop music, devilman's music, call it what you like. It was *your* music, that made it credible. After all, few people thinks their own taste is crap, do they? :lol:

Every generation grows up with the same take. I'm not saying anything of you which doesn't apply in just the same way to me (tho for a different time) or today's youngsters. The only difference are the bands we revolve our personal take on things around.

At some point as we age, no matter how hard we might try, we start to lose that connection with wanting to know what's new an instead stick to what we know, soon followed by "it was better in my day".

You're just growing old matey, and you've not faced up to it yet. :P

The point that you keep missing is that there was always variety so that people attending the festival were always catered for no matter what genre they liked. That isn't really the case now.

I see it differently - merely that what it offered fitted within your tastes. Now the mix has changed it doesn't fit you, but others will be seeing it now in the exact same way as you saw it - because it now fits them.

It is all economics, DF are like any corporate entity, how can they maximise our profit margin. both acts (and both acts are acts I would not want to see headlining) are big selling acts, that will, in theory, generate big sales. (although in Rihanna's example, I would imagine she will encourage day tickets not weekend tickets sales).

It is however disapointing that, at plus 30 and 11 TITP's under my belt, that I have been left behind musically, but thats the way it is. I will probably not go - at over £200 its not value for money for a man of my tastes. I would rather my mates grouped together their £200, and hired a big house for a weekend party. I would enjoy that more.

It seems the main reason people are annoyed at this announcement is primarily Rihanna (not talking about this forum but in general FB etc etc) people seem to be quite accepting of Mumfords headlining and with Jake Bugg, OMAM and Alt j, they have 3 up and coming bands who are very talented, sure its not ideal but I think a lot of people are missing the bigger picture here (again not talking about this forum)

It is all economics, DF are like any corporate entity, how can they maximise our profit margin. both acts (and both acts are acts I would not want to see headlining) are big selling acts, that will, in theory, generate big sales. (although in Rihanna's example, I would imagine she will encourage day tickets not weekend tickets sales).

It is however disapointing that, at plus 30 and 11 TITP's under my belt, that I have been left behind musically, but thats the way it is. I will probably not go - at over £200 its not value for money for a man of my tastes. I would rather my mates grouped together their £200, and hired a big house for a weekend party. I would enjoy that more.

Edited by frankblack

Music tastes are obviously a personal thing - and what I think is good does not mean it is gospel. But the music taste of people today is, in my opinion, woeful.

it is also having a knock on effect in the club industry in Glasgow. Very few nights are of any type of music other than Pop/RnB. Even the more alternative nights like Love Music at ABC has had to dilute its playlist to survive.

I don't blame the clubs - they are trying to survive. But the I-Tunes generation go out, and would rather take pictures on their phones on the dance floor, then upload them on to facebook, and then "check in" - all so that other people think they are having a good time, when in fact they are standing on a dance floor not moving and on facebook or twitter. Its rubbish times all round.

If accepting this music and club life is moving with the times, I am glad to have experienced other "pop" music.

I think I've more a problem with Mumford than Rihanna.

In the latter's case, I can see she is a massive act at the moment, and will probably put on quite the show, but she's not really the genre I personally like. Well done to Geoff getting her anyway.

I enjoyed Mumford & Son's first album (still need to check out the new one) and although they're massive, I can't see them being an event live in the same way Rihanna would be. There's no 'wow' factor in my opinion.

The bookings make sense from a business point of view, they just don't seem to make sense from a music lover's point of view. Maybe that's just me though.

I think a lot of the negative feedback could be attributed to the way T built up this whole "T20" thing.

Remember the survey they gave where people were to vote on who they wanted for certain stages etc? People like Daft Punk and Jay-Z & Kanye were there... Massive acts that would be very rare at any festival.

Instead we get Mumford & Sons, who headlined Scotland's other big festival last year, and Rihanna, who is a big star but a stock pop act that has played various UK festivals in the last 2 years.

FUCKIN BAWS