T in the Park 2013

Guest Chiefski

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only thing i disagree with this chat is r/l being better than titp, sure the top 6 is miles ahead of T but there is very little elsewhere whereas T has a lot of novelty/nostalgic acts that make it look a lot better on paper they r both quite even though especially since most of the acts are at both anyway

Bands who are around near the time of TITP that would have improved the line up:

Green Day

The National

Vampire Weekend

Bloc Party

Biffy Clyro

Blur

The Hives

The Gaslight Anthem

Gogol Bordello

And that's just from Rock Werchter. God, I was wishing I was going to Rock Werchter!

Bands who are around near the time of TITP that would have improved the line up:

Green Day

The National

Vampire Weekend

Bloc Party

Biffy Clyro

Blur

The Hives

The Gaslight Anthem

Gogol Bordello

And that's just from Rock Werchter. God, I was wishing I was going to Rock Werchter!

Green Day

The National

Vampire Weekend

Bloc Party

Biffy Clyro

Blur

The Hives

The Gaslight Anthem

Gogol Bordello

To be fair though out of that list I'd say only 5 of those acts are truly available; Green Day and Biffy are UK exclusives to R&L, Blur have pretty much avoided UK dates altogether this year and Vampire Weekend seem to be focusing more on their Gentlemen of the Road support slots, probably so they can get some higher slots next year.

I think out of the bands available T really did try their best; it's just that a lot of the bands available this year aren't big ticket shifters.

To be fair though out of that list I'd say only 5 of those acts are truly available; Green Day and Biffy are UK exclusives to R&L, Blur have pretty much avoided UK dates altogether this year and Vampire Weekend seem to be focusing more on their Gentlemen of the Road support slots, probably so they can get some higher slots next year.

I think out of the bands available T really did try their best; it's just that a lot of the bands available this year aren't big ticket shifters.

But they're only UK exclusives because R&L went out and got them on UK exclusive deals, there's no reason why T couldn't heave beaten them to it or persueded them not to take a UK exclusive deal for R&L. I find it odd that T 'couldn't' get Green Day to play when it's while they're in Europe while R&L can get them to come back to Europe six weeks after their tour finishes. I think it's far more likely that T didn't want Green Day (which made it easy for R&L to get the UK exclusive).

Green Day

The National

Vampire Weekend

Bloc Party

Biffy Clyro

Blur

The Hives

The Gaslight Anthem

Gogol Bordello

Edited by CraigI

If we want to look at where rock and heavier stuff is in the market right now, Sabbath haven't even sold their 2nd Brum date out yet and it's their home town. The Killers sold out Wembley in quicker time than Green Day but neither have it in them to book two nights there, like Foo's and Muse have. That said also, many must have thought Foo's would guarantee R&L quick sales but wrong, on the other hand, Rihanna does and did without even knowing her day

http://www.perthshireadvertiser.co.uk/entertainment-perthshire/gigs-music-perthshire/2013/02/12/biffy-clyro-want-to-go-back-to-t-in-th-park-says-singer-simon-73103-32789521/

Green Day haven't been at T since 2005, they'd be very welcome back with the pre 2012 crowds but who knows now. Their secret set at Reading last year was rammed and I have no doubt whatsoever it will be this year too.

I find it really surprising that Biffy weren't asked to headline this year. Surely Ellis must have seen the massive popularity they have, and known the next album would do well. And T love a cheesy link up, I would have thought they'd love Biffy headlining the 20th T, on their 10th appearance having worked their way up from the T Break stage.

No matter, next year.

And if not next year, then we can safely conclude Geoff Ellis fell down a big flight of stairs and bumpe his head perhaps.

Right to extents, I personally think T has a great undercard, and 2 out of 3 headliners I actually want to see with the 3rd I'm more than willing to with a few ciders. Download except for Friday I'm not fussed with, I was interested in Papa Roach and Slipknot again but it's not worth the ticket price. R&L best day by a mile is Friday, Sat interests me a bit but Sunday except for watching repeats of throughout the year, except for Biffy I'm struggling. And Glasto, where I'll admit if The Stones weren't there, likely clashes makes it a bit poorer than on first thought, it's the festival I don't buy a ticket to for the lineup, I check out new and fresh things going on around the site and break away for what I like to see act wise, best way to do it.

They are not a arena sized band here.

So they're last tour that sold academies as big as Manchester and London's Roundhouse were like gold dust. To be honest dude, if an established sub band at a major festival can't sell a few thousand tickets while performing their debut album then something is majorly wrong. Foster The People did that and subbed NME Stage last year, you getting the gist? By the way, these are academies, not arena's. People are talking about them possibly going on to sell their 1st uk arena tour out later this year for a reason.

Your logic is completely bizarre. Their last tour deliberately played smaller venues for a more intimate atmosphere. We will see where their next tour plays when they are in the UK.

Yes you're right, they headlined the same stage that Panic at the disco, Primal Scream, The Chemical Brothers, Chase and Status (this year), The XX (this year) have - but I don't know where you're getting at with this?

Have a look where they are placed at the other festivals in Europe.

The amount of songs I like and what I think isn't decent is a personal preference. Personally for me, I think it's a strange one to say, I don't like it but it's decent. I have interest in about 3/maybe 4 and yes you could probably name these.

When you say manufactured pop, I'm going for Mumford & Sons, C&S, Jake Bugg, Everything Everything, Tribes, Snoop, The Lumineers, Twin Atlantic, Travis, The Killers, YYY's, Bastille and Johnny Marr to name a few. There is basically nothing I see manufactured there. This is why people have said TITP has a pretty decent undercard cause if you don't want the pop, you can avoid it, you know this is a possible thing to do.

Most of those names are bland as fuck - its hardly surprising you don't like something with more of an edge like QOTSA.

Devilman is just someone who wants this T to fail and not be anything decent, weeks ago he was like yeah that's your lot, then we got some decent acts in like Travis and Marrr, still he's like that's your lot. Frank Ocean, Earth, Wind and Fire and Texas also went down quite well among parties but hey there you go.

So can I go this year expecting to, wanting to and succeeding to watch acts where some a fresh, some are new checkouts and some are actual decent hard working on the scene bands, yup I can.

Devilman is an experienced T goer like myself and neither of us want T to fail - we think it already has - and our position is that we want it to get back on track with a more balanced lineup and better headliners.

Cheers, for matters of fairness, I agree on alot of your points in the last page or two (bet you dont get that often).

There is a good few acts worth seeing at T, its just that with every questionable act people are going to get a dodgy taste in their mouths over it all. At current point I'm doing nothing festival wise this summer (I wanted to do Werchter, but no mates were feeling adventurous) but if I know I can get a cheap ticket or two I'll probably get down to T on the Sunday atleast.

It's a shame really, I reckon for most, the line up is only 4-5 decent acts from being a content level for most folk, like the names above if say Gaslight, Hives, Bloc Party and Gogol got named I'd probably be there.