Ticket sales slower this year ?

Guest thespiral

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think we all get it GM...and probably most on here who have done any research on Scientology would agree with you on many of their less savoury elements. However, how far does the practice of "boycotting" go? Have you taken all of your money out of your bank? Do you use plastics? Do you drive a car? Have you forfeited paying any income tax? Etc Etc. With any size and power there is corruption, control and manipulation...I have had "multi-boycott" tendencies for a long time but realised that I would have to live in a shed on the Isle of Mull on my own...which in some ways sounds very appealing but would mean that I could not finance my love of music and literature (which for me, is what life is ALL about). EotR has introduced me to a wealth of music that stirs me (in a good way) and thus, if there are a number of bands that I do not recognise on their lineup, I get excited as they could be new encounters to stir me anew and I immediately start investigating. I think I can safely say that I definitely share Simon's taste in music but not his taste in science fiction...like paulwa before who mentioned Asimov...Philip K Dick and Alfred Bester have much more content and original ideas to "get religious" about than old mother Hubbard (in my opinion) :preved:

'tis all about education...and I use EotR as a musical education only.

If there were people wandering around trying to convert people do you not think any of us would have noticed?

Beer is (or was last year, and this year at NDH) £3.60, not £4.40. That is what we scientists call 'a lie'.

So you do use a bank, and in fact they make more money out of you than from the average user, since you use them as little as possible.

You keep banging on about the 'right to know' if money goes to Scientology but what would make you comfortable about that? EotR have specifically and categorically denied that any money goes to Scientology. It seems to me that a (perfectly understandable) disdain for Scientology (god that's a pain to type!) has blinded you to the good stuff about EotR. I've said several times - I hate all religions, I think anyone that follows any of them is, literally, psychotic. And the first time I see one single piece of evidence that any religion has any impact on what EotR does, I'm away. (And no Ben, I need a bit more than that Holy Crutches were shit). But you want to believe something that you will never change your mind about, no matter what anyone says - that sounds like a religious attitude!

If there were people wandering around trying to convert people do you not think any of us would have noticed?

Beer is (or was last year, and this year at NDH) £3.60, not £4.40. That is what we scientists call 'a lie'.

So you do use a bank, and in fact they make more money out of you than from the average user, since you use them as little as possible.

You keep banging on about the 'right to know' if money goes to Scientology but what would make you comfortable about that? EotR have specifically and categorically denied that any money goes to Scientology. It seems to me that a (perfectly understandable) disdain for Scientology (god that's a pain to type!) has blinded you to the good stuff about EotR. I've said several times - I hate all religions, I think anyone that follows any of them is, literally, psychotic. And the first time I see one single piece of evidence that any religion has any impact on what EotR does, I'm away. (And no Ben, I need a bit more than that Holy Crutches were shit). But you want to believe something that you will never change your mind about, no matter what anyone says - that sounds like a religious attitude!

1. Beer i bought from one of the ale barrels was £4.40 (the stuff on the main bar may have been cheaper)

2. If you were a scientoligist, you would deny any funds go to that 'organisation' too otherwise it would just become a scientology festival

3. Right to know? I wouldn't feel comfortable with it, that's my point. I wouldn't go if we i knew that (and i imagine many others too)

4. So you think Simon (director) is psychotic? I mean, he is an admitted scientologist after all.

I'm just not happy with their statement, especially (but anyway, people can believe what they want' crap. Scientology claims they can 'cure' people of their homosexuality. This is something they openly admit. So, given that at least two directors are scientologists, those very directors think this too. So, how do you think that makes anyone going, band or punter, who is gay, feel?

As i've said numerous times, it's dodgy ground to have any link to it in my opinion.

So, i'll move on and see what develops in the coming weeks.

Have a wonderful time.

Until they announce Tom Cruise being flown in by John Travolta to guest with Beck, I'm going to stick with the yawn factor as to why tickets are slow. And given I dated a Jehovah's Witness without realising for a few months, I know how to turn a blind eye...

Interesting to read all the posts. Personally, I have been the past two years having been to other more corporate festivals before. I loved the whole thing but thought it had grown quite a bit by last year. I live near Latitute's venue but have never been, guess I got lucky with EOTR. This year my best mate, whom I've been to the past two years EOTR with, is going to the ParaOlympics to support a mate. He went to NDR and thoroughly enjoyed it.

I wasn't going anywhere and last weekend sat in the sun drinking a cider and listening to some good music realised that I was really going to miss the whole thing. So I bought a ticket and am going to get the coach/green bus there and hope that I meet some good people there to share the experience with. Last two years I've checked out bands and some have been added to my favourites. This year I may not find out as much before I get there but there are always acts that blow my mind that I've never heard of before. This year I am keen to see Grandaddy (seen them several times before and they are one of my all time favourites), Frank Fairfield, Midlake (missed them last year) Deer Tick, JTE, Low Anthem, John Grant (missed him too last year) Alabam Shakes and plenty more.

I think it is a strong line up but could do with a few more rock/psychedelic bands. Now really excited about the event and might even bump into some of you guys there :-)

In previous years there has been loads of space on Friday morning - however, last year it was quite busy on Thursday. Was this due to the ridiculously good weather on the Thursday, or just because of the increased capacity? Who knows.

You should be fine on Friday morning though.

Just a word of caution about travelling to and from this year's festival. The festival is on at the same time as the Great Dorset Steam Fair, it you are not a steam engine enthusiast it probably won't mean a great deal, but it's the "Glastonbury" of steam fairs and one of the largest events of its kind in the world attracting crowds in excess of 200,000 during the course of the event.

The showground is situated immediately off of the Salisbury to Blandford road (A354), about 3 miles to the north of Blandford and about the same distance south of the turning off for the Larmer Tree.

It may not be too bad for those travelling on Thursday as most of the steam fair traffic is generally from early to late morning, but those travelling in on Friday morning may need to take this into consideration as there may be some tail backs on the A354 as you get near to the site, likewise on Monday morning there may be a larger than normal volume of traffic on that road with campers and exhibitors (large lorries carrying traction engines) leaving the steam fair.

I live in Blandford and have experienced 3-4 mile tailbacks at times, although that is coming from the south side, I don't know what the traffic situation is like coming from the Salisbury direction.

You may get a better indication of its siz by having a look at their website:

http://www.gdsf.co.uk/