Ticket sales slower this year ?

Guest thespiral

So, a bit late to discover about this scientology connection, and definitely in the " to say the least a tad concerned" corner. Don't like the sign off to the official statement saying that the letter writer "needs to get out more". And, can anyone verify that these pictures are from EOTR 2007, as claimed at https://whyweprotest...ns.47011/page-2 , because if it is it seems to contradict the statement that EOTR has "no connection with the church of scientology, financial or otherwise" (my italics). It turns out that Youth for Human Rights (a lovely sounding name) is a scientology organisation (http://en.wikipedia....s_International).

Arrgh, can't seem to post photos, they are at the whyweprotest page linked above, posts 51 and 52.

Edited by clareandguy

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ha Ha.......this again......sneaky attempt to get the stage times published perchance? xD

Seriously though, I've been to every EOTR and I've witnessed nothing but atheism - frequently highly overt atheism at that.

Crucially there is absolutely no chance that the booking policy is in any way negative towards homosexuality. The whole festival reeks of tolerance.

I wasn't at 2007, but I was at 2008 onwards. Those photos don't quite look like EoTR, to me. The kids tent is in the main arena, right? Which has stalls in it. But the background of those photos clearly show tents. Obviously they may have changed the set up, but equally we only have an Anonymous poster's claim that those photos are from EoTR 2007 - they could be from anywhere.

I was there in 2007 and I don't remember this layout at all. It doesn't look like EOTR to me.

To be perfectly honest I don't see fundamental differences, in terms of methods, funding streams or acts of proselytisation, between Scientology and genuine organised and recognised religions. Is it weird? Yes. Is it as dangerous as organised religion? Probably not, sheerly on account of its limited membership. Outside the USA, numbers are falling year on year. Within the USA, I would personally be more worried by people harbouring views that women's bodies have methods of preventing pregnancy in cases of "legitimate rape", or that owning a handgun is a human right, than about some crazy cult.

I have never found my atheism affronted by any goings on at EOTR.

We've been to 3 Eotrs and NDH this year, and they've been our favourite festivals, and I agree with the statement " I have never found my atheism affronted by any goings on at EOTR".

However, if I discovered that they were being run by and profiting the sort of people " harbouring views that women's bodies have methods of preventing pregnancy in cases of "legitimate rape", or that owning a handgun is a human right", I would be very put out, and find it difficult to justify continuing to attend. My feelings about scientology are pretty close to that really, which is why I'd like to get some sort of confirmation or falsification of those pictures - if it turns out that is EOTR 2007, then I will have no reason to trust the official statement, and will sadly have to seriously consider going elsewhere.

Actually I can confirm that that is NOT EOTR 2007.

You can see a white van near the tents - definitely not allowed. I'm pretty sure you can see a caravan amongst the tents too - not even possible.

Plus the campsite at EOTR slopes quite severely down from the arena and all of the stalls/kiddies entertainment face away from the campsite not towards it.

Also I've not taken part in any kiddies activities - but they've always seemed a lot less half-arsed than that. Usually there's about 50,000 clay models outside for a start.

Didn't go to 2007, but I would assume the 2008 site would be similar ( we went to 2008 with x2 2007 atendees), and for the reasons listed above, I would be pretty certain that actually isn't EOTR. Similar boat to Clareandguy really, as in I beleive them, but if I found out otherwise that would be it for.

I'm kind of annoyed by the continued discussion of it really. It kinda tarnishes the discussion of a festival I really have enjoyed over the last few years.

Y.A-Yeah, sorry about that. Me too. I only came on the site because I was surprised there were tickets left, started wondering if we could make it this year, and then saw there was a thread speculating as to why tickets were slow to sell.....and what a surprise I got.

Re geoff's points - I think there was kids stuff, (including a circus tent that we were in) that pointed out into the campsite, when we first went in 2008, with our first daughter. And, they have been known to let vehicles on at the end of the festival haven't they? I know we've benefitted from that a couple of times. And, wikipedia says 2008 was the first sell out year - I thought one of the points behind this was that they took huge hits the first 2 years.

The thing that's bothering me is that tree line in the second picture looks very familiar.

Edited by clareandguy

Look, I'm as po-faced as the next person, but can we not just get excited about this festival, it's a cracking line-up, it's in a beautiful location, the weather's going to be glorious and I'm giddy just thinking about it. Look at that line-up, just look at it.

Well, i tend to disagree because i know for a FACT that that IS end of the road festival! (go back to the link, new photos added) I know it's end of the road because i stumbled into that tent (slightly drunk) and there was some bloke singing to some kids. The new photos clearly show it as end of the road. However, if it's 2007 or not is another matter. I can't remember what the first year was (Ryan adams headlining? That was the first one, i was there. 2006 maybe?)

Anyway, those photos are DEFINITELY EOTR. That's all i have to say on the matter.

Edited by GeordieMartin

I'm happy to message anyone who thinks it is important with the link to what I've seen that supports GM's testimony. Mesasge me if so.

To recap: I think it's important because the official statement denied any associations between the festival and Church of Scientology, but the photos show that at least once a group that is "Founded and largely staffed and financed by Scientologists" (wikipedia) appears to have been given a role with direct contact with children. If that is the case, I don't see how any assurances in the statement can be trusted.

Aside to some of the tin foil brigade, it doesn't matter does it? If no one has not noticed it before and the only evdience if 'maybe a band with a scientologist in them played once' and ' an affiliate organisation might have had a half empty childrens tent' 5 years ago, it's hardly a Columbo style gotcha.

If there is any evidence of any recruitement or brainwashing going on at the festival, It was full of Tom Cruise style people., or if the festival was making millions for scientology, it's worth getting worked up about. Otherwise, don't people have more stuff to worry about really?

Great quote from a gay mate:

"Actually I think scientologists the good guys. I may not want to be "cured" but most of christianity wants me to burn alive for all eternity, hindus literally think I'm dirt and in many muslim countries I'd face the death penalty. I'll take self-important, deluded, twats over a mob with sticks any day."

Anyway.........a week to go...........yippee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!