Football 2012-2013

Guest kaosmark2

I suspect football dressing rooms have changed since cascarinos days with evolving attitudes and a huge change in the make ups of changing rooms. I suspect it would be more of a problem in the lower leagues where clubs have often evolved less. I suspect if a player was good enough fans/players wouldnt care. The trouble is as soon as they ducked a tackle, comments would be made how he wasn't a real man, dspite straight men doing it all the time.

• Replies 8.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• eFestivals

• pink_triangle

• thetime

• strummer77

I suspect football dressing rooms have changed since cascarinos days with evolving attitudes and a huge change in the make ups of changing rooms. I suspect it would be more of a problem in the lower leagues where clubs have often evolved less. I suspect if a player was good enough fans/players wouldnt care. The trouble is as soon as they ducked a tackle, comments would be made how he wasn't a real man, dspite straight men doing it all the time.

Thats an average in society though right? Not specific to any profession. My (completely unfounded) opinion is that that percentage would be significantly lower in football.

The suggestion from the likes of members of the few gay teams there are is that gay footers are above the society average.

Think about it. It makes a lot of sense that they could be right.

Sort of backs up what I'm saying though? They're not comfortable enough in "regular" footballing society to feel they can integrate without prejudice.

nah, it's not quite like that. It's more the case that they could play in 'normal' teams, but they don't have to so they don't.

It's not so much that there's insurmountable issues with them playing in a normal team, more that they know they won't have any issues around that if they play with a gay team.

If things were as bad as I feel you're suggesting then they wouldn't get a match.

I get you. But my point is that the level of commitment it requires to get to a level where a player may be considered by the pro clubs is huge due to prejudice in the earlier part of any gay players career. They would have to go through years and years of abuse, openly gay or not. And after all, its only a game.

but if they never come out, no one knows and none of that happens.

Not coming out is the default state for a gay man remember - blokes are considered to be straight unless they come out (unless they're Julian Clary camp, perhaps). So they don't have to put any (extra) effort into hiding their sexuality, it's what they're doing anyway.

The way it is now with academies and the like, a kid would be well on the path to being a pro footballer before he even got to know what his sexuality was half the time, so with their eye on the prize they've already been working towards for years they'll just carry on doing what they've been doing and no one will know.

And meanwhile they're surrounded by fit young men of their dreams. Imagine yourself with the chance to change and play with a team of fit women - if everything else was equal, would you give that up to play with blokes? As I said, think about it! :)

Theres also (bordering on a sweeping generalisation here) the fact that a lesser percentage of gay men, as opposed to straight men, would have as much of an interest in physical sports or just sport in general. Goes for most gay blokes I've met anyway.

my experience of gay men is the complete opposite - that they're a bit mad about keeping fit.