• Replies 8.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• eFestivals

• pink_triangle

• thetime

• strummer77

Can't believe it, seems absolutely crazy. I did think he got a harsh rep at us considering he did the best out of all our managers that season, but it doesn't seem like a positive move to stabilise the club. Every time we have a bit of relief that the madness is starting to end something insane comes out of nowhere like this. I can't see how it could end well.

Im not completely against the director of football model, I know it is much criticized over here but it does allow for some continuity if implemented correctly, in a league with such a big manager turnaround. However in terms of the style Newcastle are looking to play and the type of player and the general policy they have had regarding signings in recent time, Im not sure how Kinnear is the correct fit.

Heard a bit of discussion on talk sport about this today. Firstly discussing whether Pardew would be happy to effectively be more of a "coach". Maybe i misunderstood things but I never got the impression that he was heavily involved in transfers/off the field stuff so will it make much difference?

A lot of people also saying Kinnear wont last long, this would probably the case at most clubs, however I get the impression that Ashley likes to do things his way and wouldnt be pushed to do something despite calls from the media or fans. As for pardew its easy to say he could just walk out, however it was a shock when he recieved the job in the first place, on the back of a very good season and a disappointing one, Im not sure he could walk into another premiership job.

No idea about his role in relation to transfers at St James, but 'Pards' was very keen on having and did have control of transfers in terms of targets in his time at the Boleyn.

Have a lot of time for JK but don't think his knowledge of European and World football is one of his strongest skills. Which given his new role seems odd.

Heard a bit of discussion on talk sport about this today. Firstly discussing whether Pardew would be happy to effectively be more of a "coach". Maybe i misunderstood things but I never got the impression that he was heavily involved in transfers/off the field stuff so will it make much difference?

A lot of people also saying Kinnear wont last long, this would probably the case at most clubs, however I get the impression that Ashley likes to do things his way and wouldnt be pushed to do something despite calls from the media or fans. As for pardew its easy to say he could just walk out, however it was a shock when he recieved the job in the first place, on the back of a very good season and a disappointing one, Im not sure he could walk into another premiership job.

Daily Mirror have detailed it.

Player in question of who he signed is Tim Krul btw.

Joe-Kinnear-former-Newcastle-manager-857Radio Gaga: Interview on talkSPORT has left Newcastle fans mocking Kinnear
Getty

Newcastle fans claim their club has been turned into a laughing stock after new director of football Joe Kinnear gave a cringeworthy defence of his job .

The former Toon boss gave a radio interview a day after he announced himself that he had taken the position at St James’ Park.

Kinnear took to the airwaves after the appointment was greeted with widespread criticism from the Magpies' fans.

But instead of clarifying his position, he launched into a gaffe-strewn rant against the fans and media, while repeatedly getting the names wrong of players and management wrong – including pronouncing Yohan Cabaye as ‘Cabab’.

He also claimed to have signed a player who had already been at the club for several years when he arrived.

He referred to managing director Derek Lambias as ‘Lambezee’, Yohan Cabaye as ‘Cababs’, Shola Ameobi as 'Amanobi', Jonas Gutierrez as 'Gaultierez' and Hatem Ben Arfa as both ‘Ben Afrie’ and 'Ben Afra'.

When asked about supporter unrest, he said on talkSPORT: “Look at my record. These people ask what have I done. Where have these people been - on another planet? I’ve played in five Cup Finals and won the lot. I played more than 400 games for Tottenham Hotspur.

“Already they’re jumping on the bandwagon and saying, ‘look out, Pards’. But I expect it, it’s water off a duck’s a**e.”

Kinnear, who actually made 258 appearances for Spurs, said he will meet manager Alan Pardew on Tuesday as both men attempt to establish some boundaries.

The 66-year-old, who managed the Geordies in the 2008-09 season - which ended in them being relegated from the Premier League - claimed to have brought keeper Tim Krul, who made his Magpies debut in 2006, to the club.

He also claimed to have paid £50,000 for striker Dean Holdworth when Wimbledon manager (actual figure: £720,000) and to have been Manager of the Year three times (he was LMA Manager of the Year in 1994).

Reliving his infamous rant at reporters in October 2008, Kinnear also claimed his Newcastle side had beaten Spurs that night, 2-1.

However, the incident happened on a Thursday, and the Magpies had not played since the previous Saturday - when they LOST 2-1 to Blackburn.

Newcastle fans immediately took to talkSPORT and social media to express their embarrassment and anger:

@huwsilk The most awful, cringeworthy interview for an #nufc fan to listen to.

@carljpurvis Well that is one of the most outrageous, embarrassing things I’ve listened to in a long time. #Kinnear.

@1jonkershaw That Joe #Kinnear interview is absolutely priceless. #nufc will be unstoppable next season with Kebab and Ben Afri in midfield.

@niallbache He doesn’t even know the names of the players in his own team, but he is the director of football deciding on transfers?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=kuAVjLpU9cU

Im playing devils advocate a little but do those gaffes (while admitedly embarassing) provide evidence that he is incompetent for the role. i remember the great Bobby Robson would often get names wrong and in one case even forgot gary speeds name but he wasnt entering a memory championship.

No. I didn't say it is evidence either. But he definitely lacks for tact and considering that he shouldn't be quite so prominent. The 'Charles Insomnia' thing I don't actually think was him driving N'Zogbia out, the player had been making noises about wanting to leave for months and just used that as an excuse to force the transfer. I'm sceptical about the quality of appointment for other reasons, but a mad rant isn't helping anyone.

I did love his anti-journalist rant back when he managed us, but if he does a good job it'll be behind the scenes, not in interviews...

As a neutral Im glad he is involved in the premiership. The league is full of dull, modern "coaches". I find it funny how the media moan about how there aren't enough characters in the game and when one comes they are desperate to shoot him down. As Barry Glendenning said on the guardian podcast its funny how the media brown nose Arry for his cheeky cockney style yet seem to go after Kinnear who comes across in a similar way. Heard some Newcastle fans on the radio saying how Kinnear saying Cabayes name wrong would make him more likely to leave. That's complete rubbish, Cabaye will leave if a bigger club makes a move and that is out of Newcastles hands.

Enjoyed the euro u21 final. It doesn't look like spains place challenging at the top of world football is going to end anytime soon, with the best senior and best u21 side. Will be interesting to see what happens to Thiago, have heard rumours linking him to the premiership, but surely Barca cant let a talent like him leave.