• Replies 8.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• eFestivals

• pink_triangle

• thetime

• strummer77

Anyway, my point was that gay insults are used against everyone by young lads, regardless of sexuality. May scare a lot of gay blokes off the game.

I don't think the effect would be as great as you're thinking. It's not like they're suddenly thrown into an environment like that, it's their constant environment (as it is for everyone else).

That 'banter' would of course mean something a bit different to any gay lads, but as long as they're able to think of it as banter it doesn't really have to have much meaningful effect.

And as I pointed out, there's other parts which give them an extra attraction to football. From what I've heard said on TV that's a meaningful part for some (no different for why some blokes might watch women's footie), so there's no only just extra negatives for a gay bloke compared to a straight one.

Mine too, but playing sports in organised leagues etc? Not as much.

yeah, perhaps you're right, merely by the fact that gay culture has tended to be outside the mainstream.

But I don't really think that's a factor within academies as they'd already be within them, where I don't see being gay as a reason by itself for why they'd suddenly give it up.

Yeah Houllier was about to come in for that absolutely mental double manager thing.

On the subject of players leaving legs in etc to con penalties, Pires was the worst I can remember. Always dragged a leg. Sure he dived to save a draw against somebody in their unbeaten season.

Edited by strummer77

Yeah Houllier was about to come in for that absolutely mental double manager thing.

On the subject of players leaving legs in etc to con penalties, Pires was the worst I can remember. Always dragged a leg. Sure he dived to save a draw against somebody in their unbeaten season.

Mediocre team but big club traditionally so that makes a big difference. I can think of a few similar but two stand out in recent times who have managed to be hated even at clubs without as much of a name and even less quality in the sides...

Diouf is probably up there though for wherever he's been. He's just a massive bellend, not so much in a cheating sense, but it seems as a person. Out of all the players who played for us, I can't remember one of our ex-players who our own fans dislike more anyway.

Joey Barton. Never really played in a good side but he's loathed by many (if perhaps less recently than a year or two ago). His unremarkable stint at Newcastle must be down as his biggest club... His is an outstanding achievement.

To compare to some of those clubs is silly, Liverpool have been in 2 champions league finals in recent years. They have a huge worldwide fanbase and can attract players that anyone outside the top 5 cannot. Liverpool are a big club going through a difficult time, just like man u were in the 80s. Juventus went several years without winning league titles but they didn't change to a mediocre club, just as Milan are still a huge club, even though headed for difficult times.

To compare to some of those clubs is silly, Liverpool have been in 2 champions league finals in recent years. They have a huge worldwide fanbase and can attract players that anyone outside the top 5 cannot. Liverpool are a big club going through a difficult time, just like man u were in the 80s. Juventus went several years without winning league titles but they didn't change to a mediocre club, just as Milan are still a huge club, even though headed for difficult times.

Edited by thetime

Well thats a debate me and my mates have been having for years, are liverpool a big club? Success wise maybe, take away there 2 decades of success I would say no.

There not as big as newcastle, wolves, man city, villa etc etc...no im not drunk.

As you like to say football tradition didnt start when the prem did, then again it didnt start in the mid 70s.

Well thats a debate me and my mates have been having for years, are liverpool a big club? Success wise maybe, take away there 2 decades of success I would say no.

There not as big as newcastle, wolves, man city, villa etc etc...no im not drunk.

As you like to say football tradition didnt start when the prem did, then again it didnt start in the mid 70s.