Euro 2012

Guest Paul ™

• Replies 658
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think every country whether it be Germany or Greece should worry about possibly playing Spain. Their competitive record is amazing, its not as if others haven't tried to frustrate and nick a goal before. It's not easy when you spend all game chasing the ball after a long season, its where mistakes creep in.

I'm not saying its impossible but think some are acting as if tight, defensive football is a new invention by the English. Hodgson hasn't turned england from Brazil to Greece. Ever since I can remember England have defended deep at tournaments and failed to keep goal leads. There is no evidence they have perfected the technique, they didn't last long against France!

Agree playing Carroll seems sensible. Also usefull for defending set pieces.

I'm not sure if agree with Roy Keane's comments after the game or not. I see where he is coming from but on the other hand seems harsh. Didn't he fall out with Mick beacuse he felt the who set up was just there to make up the numbers and he couldn't understand why they didin't think they could win it?

I'm not sure if agree with Roy Keane's comments after the game or not. I see where he is coming from but on the other hand seems harsh. Didn't he fall out with Mick beacuse he felt the who set up was just there to make up the numbers and he couldn't understand why they didin't think they could win it?

Edited by The Nal

Wouldn't say responding at length to a load of jibes is spitting my dummy out.

But you can't respond can you Barry? Can you actually address any of those points? Or just a childish little quip again that carefully negates having to address the point?

You could be a Tory MP! But then again from a man ignoring people's differing financial situations, spouting sexist rubbish in one thread and deluded religious rubbish in another, what else would you expect? :lol:

Depends. We should aim at not letting them get enough of the ball to let him cause problems. If we let them get enough, he can cause problems to whoever. I reckon English sides may underestimate him also at times simply because of his relative lack of success against teams from our country.

Edit: Here's an article by Rafa on the Ibra subject... his analysis will be better than mine!

http://www.independe...ic-7851987.html

knackers the opposition out chasing though.

if they're foolish enough to do it, yeah.

I think Woy got it about right in his interview the other day. It's not the amount of possession which counts, but what you do with that possession.

TV stats makes fools of people. Possession and/or passes completed mean nothing by themselves.

if they're foolish enough to do it, yeah.

I think Woy got it about right in his interview the other day. It's not the amount of possession which counts, but what you do with that possession.

TV stats makes fools of people. Possession and/or passes completed mean nothing by themselves.

Indeed, teams should just sit back, let them stroke their 10,000 passed about to their hearts content, when they nick the ball just hoof it up to some sprinter up top and hope for the best.

Worked for Chelsea

not quite that, but almost. :lol:

Was it QPR that gave Scholes all the time and space he wanted to pick his passes, and paid the price? I forget.

A team (as Chelsea did) have to apply a bit of pressure so that the opposition aren't able to make the pass they want to make, while at the same time not running around like headless chickens doing that.

That's misleading though. You've got a far better chance of 'doing' something with the ball if you have a lot of it. The best sides always dominate possession. A few (i.e. Chelsea) do win without, but they are luck dominated victories.

I'd say it's less misleading than any concentration on possession stats or passes-completed stats, which mean absolutely nothing by themselves.

But I agree with your general point. Any team can only do something useful when they have the ball.