US Presidential elections 2012

Guest pink_triangle

• Replies 510
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the main point of a (good?) festival isn't to consume.. they are artistic events for everyone to celebrate. The fact that consuming is part of it is unavoidable pretty much. Everything anyone does (almost) necessitates a certain level of it.

Try painting a picture without any materials, or writing a song, or a poem... anything...

Edited by Purple Monkey

I was quite cheerful this morning. :P

+1 to what mr mars is saying about carbon netural/carbon trading though. I know this is off topic, but allowing someone to turn environmentalism into market economics was almost as mental as believing that you can sum up something as complex as climate change by focusing on the levels of one gas and ignoring everything else as a result.

I was at the Croissant Neuf Summer Party this year. No generators or mains electric, entirely solar powered, and because three trees are planted for every vehicle that attends they say it's actually carbon negative.

Good on them. I'd love to get away from "carbon neutral/negative/trading" and move towards "Put in more than you take out" rather than allowing the entire area to focus on one aspect. The issue is massively more complex than just the levels of this gas, allowing the phrase to become the main way to describe your climate karma allows us to stop thinking about other causes/measurable demonstrations of climate change. (sorry! not wanting to sound like I'm disagreeing with anyone, I'm sure we all basically agree that it is best to always put in a little more than you take out in any situation, regardless of the language we use to explain ourselves)

Yep. Met her a few times. My brother knows her well. Always supports young Irish bands, goes to gigs etc. A class act.

Yeah, that's what I've got of her.

When the interview I saw was about to start I thought she might be some sort of desperate still-grieving mother, trying to cling to something of her long-dead son.

She was the complete opposite of that, very celebratory of her son's life without a hint of bitterness, and with very positive things to say of the current Thin Lizzy too.

I met Phil once, at the back of Portsmouth Guildhall in around 1982 or 1983 (might possibly have been 1984) when Lizzy were playing there. He was completely off his head, and is the only band member I talked to at the back of the Guildhall that didn't put me on the guestlist (w*nker :P) for that night's show despite saying he would ... which I guess was down to the fact he was off his head.

I also saw Lizzy's last UK show, at Reading Festival in whatever year it was.

Edited by eFestivals

Obama's got his swag back. Damn that boy can give a good speech. Probably a load of promises he wont keep, but inspirational stuff.

"you might not be ready for diplomacy with Beijing if you can't visit the olympics without insulting our closest ally". Ouch. Romney, Canada and Israel got bitchslapped.

I'm registering to use my dual citizenship so I can vote for Obama, the US might have a lot of problems, but I love the American that man stands for

what, one that ignores international law and says Jerusalem is Israel's, with all the problems and deaths that come from that? ;)

Sadly, there's too much of what America stands for in him. :(

That doesn't mean he's not much better than Romney of course.

Like the removal of the 7/7 tribute from certain broadcasters' coverage of the opening ceremony?

A good comment I read on Obama this morning went along the lines of "it was easier for him to stand on his promises, this time he has to stand on his record"

I don't, personally, see that Obama is likely to lose. I would expect that Romney is an IDS/William Hague candidate, one put forward in a year where it is unlikely the party can win in order to make the candidate in the next election look more appealing and give them a better chance.

I like alot of what Obama has tried to achieve, I just think it is a shame that the political system there has meant that filibustering and deliberate politicking has derailed/slowed his ability to make the changes he wants.

I agree he is not perfect and there have been disagreeable things which have happened on his watch, sometimes you have to accept that a compromise is the best you can hope for.

it will hinge on the debates, apparently the republicans have said Bernanke will be out of a job if they get in, with that and todays unemployment figures I think another round of quantitative easing is looking a shoe in