2013 Headliners

Guest shangri-la_steward

• Replies 11.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the point i was trying to make, albiet maybe clumsily, is that those two gigs 'do count'. i know they do. i was there.

of course what you say above is correct, but i'd argue that only emphasises what i was saying. those two Radiohead/Thom gigs were one offs. the kind of thing nobody else in the world has had even the opportunity of buying a ticket for, never mind actually witnessing.

but to some, unless Radiohead play the Pyramid with all the bells and whistles, those two gigs can seemingly be discounted? seems a weird way of looking at things to me, but to each their own.

I dont think those two gigs could or should rule out radiohead doing a headline slot, though I can see how if you dont like radiohead you could be a bit peeved if they do play this year.

the pyramid needs to host their lastest tour. King of limbs is wonderful live. And in rainbows songs havent been played there before either.

If and when radiohead do headline the pyramid, it'll be the best gig of the decade, no doubt about it. I dont think it will be this year though

ok if we're specifically talking about who headlines on the Pyramid (as is the neature of this thread), i take what you are saying.

but i take seeing Radiohead in 2011 in that scenario as i explained as easily fulfilling my Radiohead viewing needs. it was, in my opinion, unique.

and i thank you for not threatening me with 'Where Are We Now' again!

i wasn't there in 2011 (at Glastonbury. sad times) but was there in 2010 at the Thom and Jonny set and it was probably the best set i've ever seen (watched it all on Youtube last night and the crowd participation is so good - especially for Street Spirit, and i remember the Karma Police 'for a minute there i lost myself, i lost myself' sing along carrying on all the way to the Pyramid afterwards. truly magical) but you have to remember that they were both down as 'secret sets' (i don't think anybody had a clue about Thom and Jonny in 2010 - Radiohead in 2011 was a little more known i believe?) so a ton of Radiohead fans - massive Radiohead fans - won't have seen either of them (either because they were watching somebody else / didn't want to risk venturing to the Park for nothing / were unaware of the special guest slot etc) so whilst it was truly amazing and i'm glad i was there and took that risk, people deserve to see Radiohead, on the Pyramid, advertised as such, with their light show, in all their glory. if i'd missed them in 2010 and then heard about it afterwards, i would've been absolutely devastated, and i'm sure there are tons of people who feel that way and are hoping that that wasn't 'it' for Radiohead at Glastonbury for the foreseeable future

edit: apologies for the massive paragraph. i do get carried away

Edited by FloorFiller

but in the sense that you're talking about (that Radiohead have already been there and so shouldn't headline (not your exact words but a generalisation) then people definitely deserve it. i those two sets cancelled out Radiohead headlining any time soon then it'd be a travesty. they're obviously one of the most wanted / requested / sought after return headliners so them nicely agreeing to do two small secret sets is no reason for them to not return to the festival in the way they should

ok if we're specifically talking about who headlines on the Pyramid (as is the neature of this thread), i take what you are saying.

but i take seeing Radiohead in 2011 in that scenario as i explained as easily fulfilling my Radiohead viewing needs. it was, in my opinion, unique.

and i thank you for not threatening me with 'Where Are We Now' again!

but in the sense that you're talking about (that Radiohead have already been there and so shouldn't headline (not your exact words but a generalisation) then people definitely deserve it. i those two sets cancelled out Radiohead headlining any time soon then it'd be a travesty. they're obviously one of the most wanted / requested / sought after return headliners so them nicely agreeing to do two small secret sets is no reason for them to not return to the festival in the way they should

you're nitpicking on my use of the word 'deserve' - it was the simplest term i could think of to describe the situation of them being a headline sized band who unarguably if playing should headline the festival but seemingly in doing two secret sets have people doubting that they should return so soon as 'they've been there the past two years'

I think in terms of the festival's attendees it would be conceivable, a lot of those there in 2011 wouldn't have made it or been interested in the gig or would have been replaced by younger festival-goers this year. To most of those going it's not like them headlining the Pyramid for the third time in four years, it will be a different prospect or one they won't have seen before.

Edited by mrtourette

I was there in 2011 and it was amazing, though not the best kept secret at all and if you were half a Radiohead fan with your nose to the ground you would have known, hence the massive crush around the park, the same could have been said for the " secret" pulp gig. The gig though was solely based on TKOL being performed in public for the first time and not as a headline which would be a broad spectrum of their back catalogue, which i am sure has been over discussed already :) But as a huge fan and having only started going since 2009, and cracking on in age :(, i would for one love them to headline. Yes it's a purely selfish reason, but hey ho.

you're nitpicking on my use of the word 'deserve' - it was the simplest term i could think of to describe the situation of them being a headline sized band who unarguably if playing should headline the festival but seemingly in doing two secret sets have people doubting that they should return so soon as 'they've been there the past two years'

So, obviously Fleetwood Mac aren't playing Glastonbury as per their USA tour schedule, so makes me wonder about other rumours.

Just my thoughts, I love Radiohead, but the festival shouldn't get into too much repeat performances, many people will have seen them at Glastonbury more than once already....

Surely Radiohead aren't as likely, mainly because didn't they say that they didn't want to be seen as Glastonbury's house band. And to them I can imagine three radiohead sets, in whatever form, for three consecutive festivals would be a bit much.

honestly no, i wouldn't.

i'm not the biggest Radiohead fan, so don't hold that against me. but i thought there was something utterly charming about the Park slot, that of a band so renowned being nervous on stage performing in public for the first time their new album.

that they chose that location to do it made me feel like they trusted the audience with that risk, and the audience understood it, understood circumstances were different and repaid that trust to the band, helping out with lyrics when Thom forgot, and so on.

the music wan't half bad either!

even on a showing off level (always important in these matters!), Radiohead have headlined the Pyramid more than once before. to be the first on Earth to hear KoL in public on a small stage at Glastonbury.. like i said, i think that was a unique occasion.