2013 Headliners

Guest shangri-la_steward

The thing with the National is, like Arcade Fire and Elbow, is that we all know how good they are but they are not really that well known in the main stream. They would be a great headliner, but I am not sure if the BBC would be that happy with them as a headliner, as I suspect it will hit their viewing figures

Would the Eavii take such a gamble, I am not sure. They seem to play it fairly safe with headliners in booking acts which everyone has heard of

• Replies 11.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nick Mason - "No, we have are no plans. I think David probably wants to do another solo album, that may be his next move. And I think that after that, we’ll see how he feels. At the moment, he is not interested. And I think Roger, even if he was interested, has got another nine months or so of touring his version of The Wall. So there’s nothing in the cards. I have to say unfortunately, because I’d be very happy to pack my knife, fork, spoon and drumsticks and head out."

Fits in with Glasto 2013 timeframe!!* B)

Totally clutching at straws I know......... :(

Some speculation on a Pink Floyd reunion here:

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/culture/neilmccormick/100056389/pink-floyd-to-reunite-pigs-will-fly/

"I heard an odd piece of gossip last week at a music industry bash, when a well connected friend of drummer Nick Mason claimed the band have been in discussions about the possibility of one last tour."

Some speculation on a Pink Floyd reunion here:

http://blogs.telegra...-pigs-will-fly/

"I heard an odd piece of gossip last week at a music industry bash, when a well connected friend of drummer Nick Mason claimed the band have been in discussions about the possibility of one last tour."

I'd be inclined to believe that either it's made up entirely or that something has been strongly exaggerated from something far more minor (such as Mason regularly saying he wants to do it).

After all, it doesn't need discussions; only the actual touring details need discussion. They're either going to play together or not, what's to discuss?

I'd be inclined to believe that either it's made up entirely or that something has been strongly exaggerated from something far more minor (such as Mason regularly saying he wants to do it).

After all, it doesn't need discussions; only the actual touring details need discussion. They're either going to play together or not, what's to discuss?

Not as simple as it may seem. They’re quite an arsey group.

yeah, that's not passed me by. :lol: .... It's not what I meant tho.

What I mean is that if they're into the details of what they might play, or anything else, then they've already decided that they're up for touring in the right circumstances, and so don't need to be "in discussions about the possibility of one last tour" - they'd have decided that there IS the *possibility* of a tour.

What you're saying would be them in discussions about how they'd tour if they did tour. It's a different thing, subtle, but different. The gossip would be about the possibility of a tour, and not "discussions about the possibility".

The fact that it's so vague and uncommital in what is otherwise an unnecessarily wordy piece makes me think it's simply bullshit that matey has thrown in so that the page becomes a bit of an internet 'hit'. Newspapers are starting to measure a journo's worth by the number of web impressions their writing gets, and throwing in something like that will make the page reads soar.

Edited by eFestivals

I am not sure if they will ever tour again, but I really would not be surprised if they did another one off gig like Live8. There are too many personalities there to survive a full tour imo. Live 8 gave them a massive boost to sales and profile, but that would be nothing to a full headlining set at Glasto. Sales of their records would go through the roof (not that they ever need a boost) , and all they would need to do is put up with each other for one set. If anyone can convince them to do it it would be Michael Eavis (look at U2 as an example of how much influence he and the festival has these days), and I am sure he could pay the guilt trip by saying it was his last Glastonbury (which I suspect it might be)

One Glasto headline performance, everyone wins. Pink Floyd get massive sales of their albums (partly to a new generation of fans) and a live set on BBC, Eavis can retire happy, and we will get the ultimate Glasto perfomance ever. Bar none!

It just makes sense!

Actually, just read that Portishead are going to be touring US soon and will be releasing an album next year. More than worthy headliners, but again just wonder if they are not mainstream enough. They would be awesome headliners for the Other Stage headliners though, just not on the same day as Pink Floyd please! Lady Gaga on Pyramid, Portishead on the other and I will be one happy man watching Portishead!

I'd happily see a roger waters solo set. He wrote all their best stuff let's face it (along with Syd). Gilmour can go and play learning to fly or whatever on the otherside of the planet.

The more I read about these "disputes", the more I find myself siding with roger waters, despite the fact I KNOW he is an odious turd himself. I just dont think david gilmour ever comes across well.

I think the fact is, all of the band members are probably quite unpleasant people (apart from Syd, of course). Nick Mason comes across as incredibly needy.

In other news, who saw that pink floyd live in pompeii concert on the bbc the other night? It was SENSATIONAL. Give my a saucerful of secrets over darkside of the moon any day.

Finally, thank goodness Kasabian's new album is awful. Hopefully this removes the possibility of them polluting the festival in a headline slot for the foreseeable future.

To be fair to Gilmour, he wrote a lot of the music with Rick. Certainly "fleshed out" a lot of Rogers basic songs into what we know and love. But Roger cant sing really or play guitar like Gilmour.

But they're Rogers lyrics...... Its like a witch without a broom.

Roger was a total w*nker from Wish You Were Here until he left. To Rick in particular. Suing them from using "Pink Floyd" after he left was nonsense, which he freely admits now.

I like Mason. Hes a fan of the band. He gets to admire Pink Floyd a bit more as he wrote the least of the five members. Kind of like Daltry in The Who.

Yeah it really is quality. Echoes is a master piece.

Good. Although it didn't stop them playing high up the bill when they toured their last awful album.

Edited by russycarps

Yeh, I forgot about Wright. He did seem a decent sort. Also he wrote one of my favourite pink floyd songs, remember a day. There is a fantastic video on youtube of it playing over old footage from woodstock. I love it, so evocative of that era. Really makes me gutted I was just a sperm swimming around my dads nutsack back then.