Mumford

Example

Lady GaGa

Snow Patrol

REM

Radiohead

Plan B

Daft Punk

I reckon that you've very probably nailed two of the three Pyramid headliners there - tho which two of those three it might be is quite difficult to judge right at this moment.

And the only reason I'm saying two and not all three is because of the likeihood of something getting in the way of one of them - perhaps an exclusivity deal with another fest, or perhaps just that one of those acts isn't touring that year.

Mind you, if it was those three, I'd say that you had the days wrong for them. The pop-piest act (Gaga) is most likely to Sunday, and while I'd normally say that Radiohead would always be the Saturday, I'd put Arcade Fire as more likely for that than RH.

Of all the bands seriously mentioned I think I would only go to see The Stones (can't see it being them) or REM (unless they have a few more big hits, I can't see them headlining). So I can happily join the hep cats saying "I won't be anywhere near the Pyramid".

As for Gaga, it wouldn't surprise me. She went down well last time and has continued to have hits (her latest sounds like Shania Twain) so it could happen. I'd prefer it if she didn't but I could live with it.

I reckon that you've very probably nailed two of the three Pyramid headliners there - tho which two of those three it might be is quite difficult to judge right at this moment.

And the only reason I'm saying two and not all three is because of the likeihood of something getting in the way of one of them - perhaps an exclusivity deal with another fest, or perhaps just that one of those acts isn't touring that year.

Mind you, if it was those three, I'd say that you had the days wrong for them. The pop-piest act (Gaga) is most likely to Sunday, and while I'd normally say that Radiohead would always be the Saturday, I'd put Arcade Fire as more likely for that than RH.

Plab B is on rumors on Pyramid, he played 3rd this year and wouldn't be much point in him coming back to do the same

he's rumoured cos he played Pilton Party this year, and that normally means a decent slot at the next fest. However, that's not always the case with acts that play at Pilton Party around a gap year, which is why he's been put in as a 'rumour' and not 'strong rumour'.

As for where he'd play, that's very dependent on where his career has progressed to by the time of the next fest. I'd guess that a new album isn't too far away (Strictland Banks is nearly 2 years old), and while Plan B might not be to everyone's tastes it'd be a dumb man who'd say he's not one of the more talented acts that's around at the moment - so I'd expect him to be bigger than he is now.

If I had to make a guess at where he might play next time - difficult, because there's so many variables this long in advance - then I'd plump for either headlining the Other Stage, or 2nd from top on the Pyramid. But it's dependent on what happens in his career.

he's rumoured cos he played Pilton Party this year, and that normally means a decent slot at the next fest. However, that's not always the case with acts that play at Pilton Party around a gap year, which is why he's been put in as a 'rumour' and not 'strong rumour'.

As for where he'd play, that's very dependent on where his career has progressed to by the time of the next fest. I'd guess that a new album isn't too far away (Strictland Banks is nearly 2 years old), and while Plan B might not be to everyone's tastes it'd be a dumb man who'd say he's not one of the more talented acts that's around at the moment - so I'd expect him to be bigger than he is now.

If I had to make a guess at where he might play next time - difficult, because there's so many variables this long in advance - then I'd plump for either headlining the Other Stage, or 2nd from top on the Pyramid. But it's dependent on what happens in his career.

He seems to be one of these people who would have to make a very bad record for people to dislike him. I persoanlly think the guy quite arrogant at times but this doesn't put people off.

Eh? I don't get that at all. :blink:

He might sometimes come across as arrogant (not that I've ever seen him come across that way, it's always been the complete opposite when I've seen him interviewed), but that's got naff all to do with the music - and as far as the music goes he's streets ahead of most other 'new' acts at his levels of originality and musical daring.

(I'm not saying "he's original", I'm saying that most other 'new'-ish acts have nothing or very little that's original or musically risky).

I'd have also thought that the majority of people who like him nowadays only know of Strictland, and while that might not be to your tastes it's without doubt a very good record. I remember talking with Malcolm Haynes (a booker for Glastonbury & Big Chill) over a year ago - before I'd heard Strictland - and him telling me something like "it's almost like a Marvin Gaye record", which I laughed at, thinking that was impossible. But having now heard it I get where he's coming from with that.

My personal tastes aside, IMO 'Strictland' is one of the better releases of the last few years, and its sales properly reflect that as the 5th best selling in 2010 (it's the only one in that top 5 that's not cack).

Eh? I don't get that at all. :blink:

He might sometimes come across as arrogant (not that I've ever seen him come across that way, it's always been the complete opposite when I've seen him interviewed), but that's got naff all to do with the music - and as far as the music goes he's streets ahead of most other 'new' acts at his levels of originality and musical daring.

(I'm not saying "he's original", I'm saying that most other 'new'-ish acts have nothing or very little that's original or musically risky).

I'd have also thought that the majority of people who like him nowadays only know of Strictland, and while that might not be to your tastes it's without doubt a very good record. I remember talking with Malcolm Haynes (a booker for Glastonbury & Big Chill) over a year ago - before I'd heard Strictland - and him telling me something like "it's almost like a Marvin Gaye record", which I laughed at, thinking that was impossible. But having now heard it I get where he's coming from with that.

My personal tastes aside, IMO 'Strictland' is one of the better releases of the last few years, and its sales properly reflect that as the 5th best selling in 2010 (it's the only one in that top 5 that's not cack).

Less Glasto?

Glasto has a history based in heavier stuff. They've had some of the heaviest bands around playing. QOTSA very much suited the Glasto audience.

Also, QOTSA are much much much bigger than Example.

Could see him possibly headlining JPT.

I wasn't objecting to the type of music, I was objecting to Example not being big enough. As Swede said, he's probably next in line for the mid day Pyramid slot. If it was to be anyone, I think Dizzee would be a more realistic shout of headlining Other.

Dizzee had much more realistic chance of headlining main dude, he pissed over Gorillaz headline slot.

In terms of a wide audience, I disagree that QOTSA are much bigger than QOTSA.

He played 2nd on John Peel this year, by 2013 he'll be considered much bigger than then, headlining Other might be a tad too far, but subbing it would not surprise me. Jessie J played 4th up on Other and got one of the biggest crowds the stage has ever scene.

But does going in at number one automatically make you big enough?

following on from decent sales of previous albums and a number of chart hits, I'd say so - at least, within the context of the sort of chart-friendly acts that seem to take up so much of the bill nowadays (and probably did in the past too, tho it didn't feel like that to me at the time). Personally I couldn't give a shit, but that applies to just about every new act I've seen in years - the number of newer acts that class as worthwhile in my book are tiny.

While that might be a consequence of getting older, I don't think so - and I present as my evidence Jessie J, an act that drew a huge crowd at Glasto (and elsewhere), where the crowd had a much greater number of 35-45 females and their kids (just listen to those girlie screams!) than any 'credible' act would ever have, and who is truly truly dreadful.

Yes, she might be able to hold a note but the voice is still a screech, and the music behind that is as Stock Aiken & Waterman as anything they ever did. Try listening to Kylie's 'Locomotion' and compare. What the fuck is happening to younger people's ears? :blink:

following on from decent sales of previous albums and a number of chart hits, I'd say so - at least, within the context of the sort of chart-friendly acts that seem to take up so much of the bill nowadays (and probably did in the past too, tho it didn't feel like that to me at the time). Personally I couldn't give a shit, but that applies to just about every new act I've seen in years - the number of newer acts that class as worthwhile in my book are tiny.

While that might be a consequence of getting older, I don't think so - and I present as my evidence Jessie J, an act that drew a huge crowd at Glasto (and elsewhere), where the crowd had a much greater number of 35-45 females and their kids (just listen to those girlie screams!) than any 'credible' act would ever have, and who is truly truly dreadful.

Yes, she might be able to hold a note but the voice is still a screech, and the music behind that is as Stock Aiken & Waterman as anything they ever did. Try listening to Kylie's 'Locomotion' and compare. What the fuck is happening to younger people's ears? :blink: