2013 Headliners

Guest shangri-la_steward

If we have two conventional indie/rock bands in Arcade Fire and Radiohead, I can't see the third being another conventional rock band. Maybe a solo artist, but remember in three of the last four years we've had Stevie Wonder, Jay Z and Beyoncé all headlining - so someone not in the rock genre would be likely.

• Replies 11.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I reckon it's gonna be prince. He's the only one left on the "mega star" list now isnt he? we've had neil young, stevie wonder, bruce springsteen, u2 etc. There's only really prince left. And the stones I suppose.

fri: kasabian

sat: radiohead

sun: prince

is my early guess, based on f**k all

Had a conversation about this the other night, basically ended up being about who is left at 'legend' status who hasn't played/headlined. So, the summary was that this bunch haven't played (at least as far as we're aware):

Eric Claptout - likely to do Glasto? Who knows? Bit expensive, maybe doesn't need to play a festival, not sure if he's done any in recent years tbh, and maybe not popular enough any more to really pull off a headline slot (ok, his stuff is classic but I can't really see 100,000 people packing the pyramid field to sing along to Lay Down Sally or Cocaine). Still, undeniably a legend.

Santanananana - followed on seemingly naturally from EC, undeniably a big name but appropriate for the pyramid? Definite Jazz World material though.

Dire Dire Straits/Mark Knockwurst - somebody said something about the headbanded string twiddler playing something or other with somebody or other sometime soon. Can't see it at Glasto though, and I think apart from the one album they're over-rated and not legendary enough anyway.

Dylan - I thought he'd done Glasto at some point on some stage, so this wasn't discussed any further. If not, interesting prospect possibly.

Rolling Drones - rumoured plenty in recent years, will 2013 be when it actually happens?

The Floyd - until recently I'd have said no chance not ever no never would this happen, but after that Roger Waters Wall gig mini-reunion who knows? I do know I'd spontaneously mutate and develop the ability to Nightcrawler myself in if I didn't have a ticket if they did play.

Aerosmith - ok, more Download/Sonisphere than Glasto maybe, but still pretty big and legendary so were on the list.

Queen - personally the Queen+ Paul Rodgers thing wasn't for me, but I'd happily sing along if curly bonce and the drummer turned up with one of the Blue Peter dogs singing to be honest.

Madonna - not for me, never liked her, but undeniably still up there with the legends so makes the list.

Take Shat - I would be sat there sacrificing any and all passing wildlife to whichever dark deities might listen to stop this happening. No. Cufking. Way. And they're not legends, they're still just a shite boy band, always were, always will be. This part of the conversation wasn't allowed to continue. A slap may have been issued as well.

Led Zep - I pointed out they more or less have played, Page & Plant in 199whatever. Plus as much chance of it happening as Kate Bush and XTC headlining the other nights.

Metallica - would be nice but not likely. Span off into talk about Bon Jovi (still seem to be able to fill stadia somehow), Van Halen, Black Sabbath/Ozzy. All highly unlikely.

AC/DC - would never happen. Unfortunately. Having those cannons firing across the site would be awesome.

Red Hot Chili Peppers - possible. Although they only seem to do stuff around albums, so with one out soon maybe not the right timing.

There were probably some others but I either can't remember or can't be bothered to write any more. As for the non-legends, just list any or all of the current big-ish names and chuck in a couple of outside chances, leave a gap for a complete unknown to leapfrog everyone and that'll do it.

I reckon it's gonna be prince. He's the only one left on the "mega star" list now isnt he? we've had neil young, stevie wonder, bruce springsteen, u2 etc. There's only really prince left. And the stones I suppose.

fri: kasabian

sat: radiohead

sun: prince

is my early guess, based on f**k all

Had a conversation about this the other night, basically ended up being about who is left at 'legend' status who hasn't played/headlined. So, the summary was that this bunch haven't played (at least as far as we're aware):

Eric Claptout - likely to do Glasto? Who knows? Bit expensive, maybe doesn't need to play a festival, not sure if he's done any in recent years tbh, and maybe not popular enough any more to really pull off a headline slot (ok, his stuff is classic but I can't really see 100,000 people packing the pyramid field to sing along to Lay Down Sally or Cocaine). Still, undeniably a legend.

Santanananana - followed on seemingly naturally from EC, undeniably a big name but appropriate for the pyramid? Definite Jazz World material though.

Dire Dire Straits/Mark Knockwurst - somebody said something about the headbanded string twiddler playing something or other with somebody or other sometime soon. Can't see it at Glasto though, and I think apart from the one album they're over-rated and not legendary enough anyway.

Dylan - I thought he'd done Glasto at some point on some stage, so this wasn't discussed any further. If not, interesting prospect possibly.

Rolling Drones - rumoured plenty in recent years, will 2013 be when it actually happens?

The Floyd - until recently I'd have said no chance not ever no never would this happen, but after that Roger Waters Wall gig mini-reunion who knows? I do know I'd spontaneously mutate and develop the ability to Nightcrawler myself in if I didn't have a ticket if they did play.

Aerosmith - ok, more Download/Sonisphere than Glasto maybe, but still pretty big and legendary so were on the list.

Queen - personally the Queen+ Paul Rodgers thing wasn't for me, but I'd happily sing along if curly bonce and the drummer turned up with one of the Blue Peter dogs singing to be honest.

Madonna - not for me, never liked her, but undeniably still up there with the legends so makes the list.

Take Shat - I would be sat there sacrificing any and all passing wildlife to whichever dark deities might listen to stop this happening. No. Cufking. Way. And they're not legends, they're still just a shite boy band, always were, always will be. This part of the conversation wasn't allowed to continue. A slap may have been issued as well.

Led Zep - I pointed out they more or less have played, Page & Plant in 199whatever. Plus as much chance of it happening as Kate Bush and XTC headlining the other nights.

Metallica - would be nice but not likely. Span off into talk about Bon Jovi (still seem to be able to fill stadia somehow), Van Halen, Black Sabbath/Ozzy. All highly unlikely.

AC/DC - would never happen. Unfortunately. Having those cannons firing across the site would be awesome.

Red Hot Chili Peppers - possible. Although they only seem to do stuff around albums, so with one out soon maybe not the right timing.

There were probably some others but I either can't remember or can't be bothered to write any more. As for the non-legends, just list any or all of the current big-ish names and chuck in a couple of outside chances, leave a gap for a complete unknown to leapfrog everyone and that'll do it.

Aerosmith depends. If it's a set full of Last Child honest-to-god funkyness, yes please. If it's a set full of sacharrine post-PUMP ballads, not thanks.

Anyhow, I think Tyler is too busy being the new Simon Cowell. Or Sharon Osbourne, I've not quite worked out which. He's starting to look like a Granny.

Edited by sifi

Aerosmith depends. If it's a set full of Last Child honest-to-god funkyness, yes please. If it's a set full of sacharrine post-PUMP ballads, not thanks.

Anyhow, I think Tyler is too busy being the new Simon Cowell. Or Sharon Osbourne, I've not quite worked out which. He's starting to look like a Granny.

Edited by The Nal

Yeah forget Aerosmith. Long gone are the good days. They're pish now and Tylers drug use has finally caught up with him.

The same guy who sang Sweet Emotion, Draw The Line, Dream On and Back in the Saddle, hanging out on TV with J-Lo, judging fame hunting nobodies, while going AWOL for Aerosmith gigs and pissing off his real fans.

No thanks.

Christ man, STOP doing drugs!! You're 63!

American-Idol-Steven-Tyler-Jennifer-Lopez.jpg

Guest blackcockerel

Pulp's set this year was in my top 3 gigs ever, but without new material then there's no way they should headline. It'd be effectively the same selection of songs they played when they headlined in '95 since theyre playing mostly Different Class era and His n Hers.

I doubt they'll still be touring in two years anyway.

I seem to be the first to suggest this, but if 23 sells as much as 21 did, then I'd say Adele was in the running. That album went platinum TEN times. That's a lot. She's a contemporary artist and 'massive' :ph34r:

Not that I'd go and see her myself, but if the next album has come out and done well, then she'll be in with a shout surely? Giving the big slot to an artist with 3 albums is the kind of thing the Eavii do.