Can you explain the appeal of Shangri-La?

Guest godders1966

Shangri-La gets loads of positivity on this message board. I mean how many times have we read things like... "I'm not bothered about the headliners on that day so it means I can get to Shangri-La earlier".

I must be missing the best bits because all I've seen in the past are huge crowds looking at weird stuff that seems to weird for weird sake.

OK I admit the Arcadia section is mighty impressive and the crashed plane/helicopter was good the first time I saw it. But after that I haven't really found anything else that blew me away.

I've spend time queuing for various areas and buildings only to be left wondering what the fcuk was that was about.

I realise these comments will be controversial on this message board but can someone point out which bits are worth checking out and why?

Cheers.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is fine that you don't get it. That's sort of the point, something for everyone and all that.

I haven't really bothered with Shangri-la myself either, it's all a bit bad acid for me and my delicate mental state. I totally get that there are people who find this the most attractive entertainment at the festival, it's just not something that I have really taken to.

I am telling myself that this year I'll take the time to get in there during peak hours, but it hasn't happened the last 2 years as the major overcrowding has turned me off. I'm told that if you leave it a couple of hours for people to drift on you can get in and enjoy it at it's best, however so far that hasn't happened.

I wandered round in the early evening the last couple of years, but clearly that doesn't represent in any way how things are when the place is in full throw.

Part of the pull for me is the shear scale of stuff there. Weird for weird sake might be a bit harsh, I think the different designs and creativity in each area make Shangri-La much more interesting than your average stage. Also it's a place to rave up after the headliners so where else would you go at 3am? I know there's stuff at the Park which is also good but Shangri-La is better

It's late night entertainment like no other. You do have to do some investigating and exploring to get to the best bits but that's kind of the fun! There is all sorts of things in there, from a real ale bar with a beer garden, to a stall where you play the Devil at ping pong for a shot of sambucca.

Can't speak for everyone, but I find it magical, especially when it's dark, busy and I've had a few.....

Walking into a room where they played 80's style Dungons + Dragons game whilst blasting out Nintendo style techno was one of the funniest experiences of my life.

The fact nobody knew what the f*ck was going on was just like a acid trip but without the side effects

Yeah, it's about creativity, it's about the unexpected, it's about something that stays with you long after the festival, might be something visual, might be a feeling, might be a room, a poster, a noise, something utterly different, something that looms out of the night. It's about humour, spontaneity, imagination, feeling involved, being a participant, not just a spectator.

I suppose it's horses for courses really.

In 2009 I went to Shangri La and absolutely loved the place. Only went round for a couple of hours but vowed to myself that I would experience more of it in 2010. In 2010 I took my mate there who said that he appreciated the detail and work that went into the place but it was all a bit too manic for him and he prefered areas like the Green Fields and Croissant Neuf which are both much more chilled out and you could tell that he was not having a good time so we left early and went to Flagtopia which was a bit dissapointing for me. This year I'm taking another friend who I know I will absolutely love Shangri-La and will want to stay there till the early hours of the morning and I cannot wait for that.

Last year for me was a very mellow and chilled out experience over all which was very nice but this year the friend who I'm taking wants go to Shangri-La and all the party places and I know it's going to be a completely different experience.

Edited by BlackHole2006

Yeah, it's about creativity, it's about the unexpected, it's about something that stays with you long after the festival, might be something visual, might be a feeling, might be a room, a poster, a noise, something utterly different, something that looms out of the night. It's about humour, spontaneity, imagination, feeling involved, being a participant, not just a spectator.

I have only ever tried it in 2008 and 2009m and i did not really get it at all, i gave it a miss last year,seems from what i am reading is its best late on,think the t went early evening,so as this is my last Glastonbury i shall make the effort and go Friday night during U2's set, could be i still won't understand it at all,nut you never know till you try it.

It was pretty interesting last year.

Me and my cousin after Muse basically took a trip from the family camping area to the stone circle (pretty much one side of the site to the other), just setting off and see where our path took us. I wasn't on drugs and never have been, I wasn't even drunk, and the atmosphere more than anything was brilliant. We sort of spent a few minutes at each place to try and see as much as we could of the site at night.

I must admit I was also kind of afraid to jump in too far, I had this feeling I was falling down the rabbit hole if you know what I mean. I just pictured myself getting pulled into some acid rave in an alleyway and never be seen again, hehe.

I might go with my mates my own age this year for a night, I'll probably lose my inhibitions a little quicker.

I really love the theming and I appreciate the amount of thought and effort that goes into it.

I'm not sure how many people take note of the story (available of the website and in the programme) as to what the area "actually is" but I love the little touches that add to that.

As an example the banners that were across the old railway line as you walked in (can't remember if it was last year or 2009) gave messages that helped prepare you for the theme (unfortunately I can't remember exactly what they said) - reading them gave me goosebumps though.

It's apt that people have referred to it as a Disney World for adults; it's that level of detail and theming that makes the Disney parks so enjoyable.