U2 tour in chaos

Guest drewsstrat

• Replies 489
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A guy at work had fairly minor, keyhole spine surgery for an injury he sustained falling out of his loft (which I think aggravated an old problem). He was immobilised for 3 weeks and then had 3 weeks of rehab + physio. he didn't return to work for 3 months. His docs said that his recovery was faster than anticipated. In all seriousness, I think that 4.5 weeks to be back on stage after something like that is probably optimistic.

I don't care for U2 and think Bono is an egomaniac twat of olympic standard. I wouldn't wish a serious back injury on anyone though and I'm sure a lot of the people on here who have posted that this is good news for them think the same - but are just looking at it from their perspective in that a replacement act might improve their experience.

Objectively - bad news for Bono/U2/Glasto generally.

Subjectively - I'm praying that they don't play and a big act I love do. If I had the choice - Doves.

Edited by cjc3001

if we do get a replacement there is no way that they're gonna be anywhere near as big as U2 (or Muse or Stevie Wonder, or most Glasto headliners to be fair)

Pulp replacing The Stone Roses (at the time) probably seemed fairly rubbish as they only really had Common People as a hit back then, and Basement Jaxx replacing Kylie isn't as good either

and yeah, they'd have to be touring and ready for a performance as big as Glastonbury - not many bands would be tbh. would basically have to be a band on a stadium tour right now, with not too many big demands stage wise, with a gap in their schedule

...they'd have to be touring and ready for a performance as big as Glastonbury - not many bands would be tbh. would basically have to be a band on a stadium tour right now, with not too many big demands stage wise, with a gap in their schedule

What's everyone worried about ? I'm not a U2 fan at all but a know a few that are disappointed by this , if a blind man playing piano and singing can close the festival why can't a wheelchair-bound 'crusader' end the first day ? :P

There's loads of options including a live bedside broadcast from Bono for 2 hours or White Stripes , Chems' , KOL , Kasabian , Arcade Fire . Any act which is currently contracted to other fests. would be easily bought out if they recoupe the U2 fee .

it won't be Doves

i know i said the band who replaces them won't be as big but Doves!? far far too small of a band

they could pull off being second, but not headlining Glasto. no way

i doubt that'd even come into Eavis's mind

Just read a post on one of the U2 fansites that says U2 crew members in Salt Lake City (the crew is already there assembling the claw) are telling fans that the tour is set to resume on 27th June in Minneapolis. A further announcment is expected via U2.com later today (how true that is I don't know)

If this is the case, i'm actually quite optimistic that Glastonbury will go ahead - they'll rehearse in Dublin, play Glastonbury and then fly out to Minneapolis. If they are ready to play on the 27th, then I can't imagine for a second Bono turning down the chance to play Glastonbury before he goes - his ego is way too big for that.

I've made no secret that i'm a big U2 fan and they were the major pulling point of me going to Glastonbury but ya know what? I'm really not THAT gutted about it. Yep, its sad it may not happen but I won't be one of those U2 fans phoning See desperately trying for a refund (despite the fact I have insurance on our tickets)

Edited by harper11

it won't be Doves

i know i said the band who replaces them won't be as big but Doves!? far far too small of a band

they could pull off being second, but not headlining Glasto. no way

i doubt that'd even come into Eavis's mind

I need Langdale and Tugger on here. They know class when they see/hear it!

Looking at certain headliners from past years and where they were in their career at the time (Arctics, KoL etc.), Doves have the talent and material to pull it off. I do however agree that they may lack the draw/popularity, especially given the lack of love on here tonight. Stepping into U2's shoes only makes this worse. I do however honestly believe that they could and would put out a staggering set that would convert many. They are the kind of act that many people think "who" or "meh" but those same people will know many of their songs and without realising it will like a good many of them, much like Elbow in that respect.

I need Langdale and Tugger on here. They know class when they see/hear it!

Looking at certain headliners from past years and where they were in their career at the time (Arctics, KoL etc.), Doves have the talent and material to pull it off. I do however agree that they may lack the draw/popularity, especially given the lack of love on here tonight. Stepping into U2's shoes only makes this worse. I do however honestly believe that they could and would put out a staggering set that would convert many. They are the kind of act that many people think "who" or "meh" but those same people will know many of their songs and without realising it will like a good many of them, much like Elbow in that respect.

no, they can't

Arctics were one of, if not the, biggest bands in the UK back then

Doves are big, but they just cannot headline Glastonbury

if they end up doing it then i can guarentee that Eavis scraped the bottom of the barrel so much that he went straight through to the other side