Other festivals

Guest lizki

Glastonbury is without doubt my first choice festival :P . But if (heaven forbid) you couldn't go to Glastonbury (or it is a dreaded fallow year) which festival is your second choice? and why?

I've never been to any other multi-day, with camping, festivals, but this year I also have tickets to "WOMAD", and am on the brink of getting tickets for "End of the Road" Anyone else going to/been to these?

I've been to WOMAD quite often the vibe is similar to West Holts (Jazzworld) and it's a nice relaxed festie with lots of real ale and world music, and plenty of stalls to wander around too. It's in my top five of festivals I love going to.

I've not been to End Of The Road - but I've heard good things and I am going to give it a go this year too.

My second choice would be Beautiful Days - I've been to every one - it's local and right up my street in terms of old school vibe, and like Glastonbury is part of my life.

I've been to WOMAD quite often the vibe is similar to West Holts (Jazzworld) and it's a nice relaxed festie with lots of real ale and world music, and plenty of stalls to wander around too. It's in my top five of festivals I love going to.

I've not been to End Of The Road - but I've heard good things and I am going to give it a go this year too.

My second choice would be Beautiful Days - I've been to every one - it's local and right up my street in terms of old school vibe, and like Glastonbury is part of my life.

Glastonbury will always remain my favourite festival. There's nothing to match its scale and variety. I take my sensible head off for a week and chill.

However I also work at a couple of other festivals and the one I'd strongly recommend is the Trowbridge Pump Festival just south of Bath July 22-25. www.trowbridgefestival.co.uk

It's folk orientated but with a wide range of acts of the sort you get on the Acoustic and Jazzworld Stage at Glasto. Very family friendly, good camping, superb views in a lovely setting and excellent food. Almost like the best bits of Glasto but on a smaller scale.

I agree with BD :P I have only missed one :lol:

Womad however, I really don't like. I find it too contrived and very "middle class". Loads of people dressing up in tie dye stuff and playing at hippy mummys and daddys. "Stop that now Tarquin. We will have a long discussion about this later" FFS he is 3, either laugh or smack the little sod. I digress :P

It's far less like that now than when it was in Reading - back then it was like an Islington mother's day out.

Pleasingly, those types don't like leaving London (they think Reading is part of London) - as shown by some of the complaints womad had the first year on the new site, including people who blamed womad and demanded a refund because they'd got caught in standard summer friday traffic on the M4 which was too much for them, so they'd turned round and gone home again. :P

Have you seen the French and Saunders sketch where they're doing hand painting with kids in a gleeming white kitchen - where they had to take the kid straight to the sink to wash their hands clean in case it got the kitchen dirty? That was womad at Reading.

Womad at Charlton Park is far more like any other festival than it is like that French & Saunders sketch.

It's far less like that now than when it was in Reading - back then it was like an Islington mother's day out.

Pleasingly, those types don't like leaving London (they think Reading is part of London) - as shown by some of the complaints womad had the first year on the new site, including people who blamed womad and demanded a refund because they'd got caught in standard summer friday traffic on the M4 which was too much for them, so they'd turned round and gone home again. :P

Have you seen the French and Saunders sketch where they're doing hand painting with kids in a gleeming white kitchen - where they had to take the kid straight to the sink to wash their hands clean in case it got the kitchen dirty? That was womad at Reading.

Womad at Charlton Park is far more like any other festival than it is like that French & Saunders sketch.

Glastonbudget and Bearded Theory for me....

Both pretty small festivals with a really great atmosphere and well organised.

Glastonbudget is best known for it's tribute acts but loads of original bands playing and the talent in the acoustic tent last year was first class.

I've loved going to V as well for the past few years although giving it a miss this year....

Come to think of it, I've never had a bad festival!!!! Perhaps I was born to laze about in a field listening to music.....

Has to be Latitude festival held in the beautiful Henham Park I have to declare a interest here as I am good friends of the Landowner's son Hektor Rous { who was put in charge of the estate by his father } but I liked it even before we became good friends.

I have been lucky to be able to attend it each year since it started in 2006 and each year it gets more and more like Glasto but not as large + if its wet its streets ahead of Glasto as it has far better drainage .

Sure the Bands are not as big but personally I don't rate events by which band is playing. Its a very laid back festival and is very relaxing .

If the WBC offered me only one place at one event then I reckon I would pick Latitude over Glasto but of course I am getting older so don't have the energy to run about like a mad hatter.

Amazingly all the tickets have already been sold for Latitude which reflects how popular its getting.

Sure I enjoy Glastonbury but it does take it out of me as I have to work each day but I would prefer to do that just for the better facilities we have in our own private camp site.

Sorry, I dont' understand the title of the thread. "Other festivals"?! ;p

To be honest I grew up on Reading and have also been a regular at Glade. Really wanted to go to Bestival this year and Big Chill but looks like tickets are all sold out.

Secret Garden Party deserves a mention, although I've not made it yet. As does Global Gathering - which you really should avoid. By far the worst camping festival I've been too.

Edited by Craig_G

Glastonbury is without doubt my first choice festival :P . But if (heaven forbid) you couldn't go to Glastonbury (or it is a dreaded fallow year) which festival is your second choice? and why?

I've never been to any other multi-day, with camping, festivals, but this year I also have tickets to "WOMAD", and am on the brink of getting tickets for "End of the Road" Anyone else going to/been to these?

I loved the Secret Garden Party - it is awesome and is the one, other than Glast, that I would like to go to as a punter and not work. I love Endorse it and Summer Sundae even though they are opposite ends of the spectrum. I fancy going to Green Man and End of the Road too.

I thought Bestival was terrific. Based on that, Camp Bestival would probably be good too.

I think Green Man would probably suit me, but the music's too folky for many of my festival-going mates.

Sorry, I dont' understand the title of the thread. "Other festivals"?! ;p

To be honest I grew up on Reading and have also been a regular at Glade. Really wanted to go to Bestival this year and Big Chill but looks like tickets are all sold out.

Secret Garden Party deserves a mention, although I've not made it yet. As does Global Gathering - which you really should avoid. By far the worst camping festival I've been too.