Things that ur happy about

BlackHole2006

I think part of the reason I used though is I never put myself first,I always think of my friends and family and take care of them first and foremost.Using seemed like my reward.I think 'deserting' me,although maybe just a choice of word with nothing behind it,is extreme.I certainly wouldn't blame her for pulling away as me coming to her and saying this IS a very shocking thing and hard to take on board.I do feel in some way I haven't exactly been honest with her so maybe she could think I'm not the person she thought I was.

I don't know,I'm more rational and analytical about the situation right now after getting my emotions out earlier and posting here.It's gunna be a long road ahead and as you say it will be a slow process.If she does pull away I wouldn't blame her and just hope that eventually she can come to terms with it and forgive me so we can be friends again at some point otherwise it'll end up as one of those big regrets in life.

Hopefully she'll understand that there were reasons why you didn't tell her, and she'll be glad you can confide in her now.

You've taken the first step, admitting a problem, and the second step, starting to do something about it. You deserve respect, understanding and support for facing up to a frightening situation.

I hope all goes well for you :)

My youngest lad seems to be really settling into college. More importantly he seems to be enjoying it. It still means that I will be supporting him until he is 20 but I can just manage.

Also I am beginning to feel a lot better now as well. Going to give work a ring later to see he there is the odd shift a week to ease myself back into it. It will be hard going as I literally have spent the last couple of months on the sofa.

Glad to hear things are looking up for you :)

Nice one, hope it rocks!

Cheers,

Me and my mate are rehearsing for it tomorrow from 1-5 as we've got to be at the venue by 6 for soundcheck. I've got to teach him the chords to 5 songs in 5 hours. That, coupled with the fact I'm getting tickets to Glasto tomorrow, means it's going to be an extremely busy and tiring day. Worth every minute though.

Edited by BlackHole2006

Just told the first person about my addiction problems and my steps to correct it and attend meetings.It's not my best friend who I mentioned earlier in this thread I was nervous about telling but he took it really well after some confusion on my part of the language and phrasing he used,felt like he was saying I didn't need meetings and to just get on with it,but he has been massively supportive and I feel so much more content someone knows.

• Upvote 2

So a few days ago the freshers fair was on which I foolishly didn't go to, but my mate went and he signed me up (without me even knowing) to the Comedy Society, ran by Theatre Arts people. Mainly because in my spare time I enjoy writing scripts for Comedy shows and I sent him a few and he said he really enjoyed reading them. Anyway, they contacted me and initially I was really confused because I didn't know my friend had put me up to it but I realized it would be a great opportunity to meet new people and make new friends as this year I really want to make more of an effort and be more confident in branching out and being myself around people I don't know.

So anyway, I sent them a sample script and the guy who runs it really loved it and he said he would love to turn it into a play, so he told me that he want's me to come to their rehearsal so I can pick people to play the characters that I've written about. I'm really happy with this news as it gives me a great opportunity to meet loads of new people, and hopefully this will boost my confidence a whole lot more. Plus I think it'll be hilarious to see people actually try to take on the rolls of the characters I have written about.

Just told the first person about my addiction problems and my steps to correct it and attend meetings.It's not my best friend who I mentioned earlier in this thread I was nervous about telling but he took it really well after some confusion on my part of the language and phrasing he used,felt like he was saying I didn't need meetings and to just get on with it,but he has been massively supportive and I feel so much more content someone knows.

That's good, glad it went well.

So a few days ago the freshers fair was on which I foolishly didn't go to, but my mate went and he signed me up (without me even knowing) to the Comedy Society, ran by Theatre Arts people. Mainly because in my spare time I enjoy writing scripts for Comedy shows and I sent him a few and he said he really enjoyed reading them. Anyway, they contacted me and initially I was really confused because I didn't know my friend had put me up to it but I realized it would be a great opportunity to meet new people and make new friends as this year I really want to make more of an effort and be more confident in branching out and being myself around people I don't know.

So anyway, I sent them a sample script and the guy who runs it really loved it and he said he would love to turn it into a play, so he told me that he want's me to come to their rehearsal so I can pick people to play the characters that I've written about. I'm really happy with this news as it gives me a great opportunity to meet loads of new people, and hopefully this will boost my confidence a whole lot more. Plus I think it'll be hilarious to see people actually try to take on the rolls of the characters I have written about.

jealous! I'd love to be doing something creative.

Fair play to you. Just the best wishes towards what you are trying to do.

Thanks mate,you aswell feral child and anyone else who has commented in the past.

First proper group meeting tomorrow in which I'm going to 'share'.

Kind of nervous and have no idea how its going to go or what I will say.Not really sure on the whole structure of it but I know that there is no right or wrong and its there for me to be whatever I need it to be.

Living with friends. I may be unemployed and struggling to find the energy to find work at present, but I am far far happier on a day-to-day, hour-to-hour basis living with people I enjoy spending time with. Everything's just so much easier.

So happy to hear that for you pal.Keep on that positive road.

So happy to hear that for you pal.Keep on that positive road.

Cheers. It's weird how just little differences in everyday conversation makes such a huge difference in my mood. I'm getting up and feeling positive about it, I'm only doing little things towards feeling productive, but I'm doing them for myself, and feeling better for it. Everything's still taking a lot longer than it should, but I feel like I'm building a life for myself as opposed to holding off drudgery.

Nice one mate. I think when you are telling people it is best to go with the flow. Some may react well and others may not. What you need to realise is that the way they react is their problem not yours. If people have an issue just let them. At this moment you are the most important person.

Although meetings like NA and AA work really well for many folk I would consider getting in touch with one of the other drug services. I dont know where you are but round here they can offer everything from 1to1 counselling to groups and courses to help you through. They can give advice and access to some medications that could help (there are some that can reduce cravings). But more importantly they do also offer support to friends and family. If you google for your area. Turning Point is a good start.

Just stick with things and good luck mate.

Thanks Rufus.

My thinking at the moment is like you mentioned,this is for me and how people react is up to them and I'm just going to accept it.There are people who I'm hoping will react favourably as they mean a lot to me but as my friend Pete said yesterday,if they can't grasp it or want nothing to do with me then it just means they are part of my problems and don't have my best interests at heart.They aren't the people I thought they were and probably wouldn't turn out to still be my friend 10 years down the line.

I haven't looked into any other support or help groups yet,its early days for me and baby steps.For the moment NA is where i feel comfortable but as I carry on I may think that its not the program for me and seek others.With the medication,that's not really how my addiction is.I don't crave drugs or booze I just don't have an off switch.As I've begun this I've realized it runs through EVERYTHING in my life.I'm the kind of person that if I see a cheesecake on offer at Tescos then without realising I'm eating fucking cheesecake for the next 4 days.If I start watching a tv program someone recommends its not uncommon for me the watch 8 series of it in afew days and not sleep until my body shuts down.It's not that I crave booze and drugs I just don't stop.Although I must say since I've stopped I would kill for a nice heated brandy or a whiskey on the rocks lol!I also would love a Spliff or a fat line but I'm skint so my craving for drugs is reduced as I know I can't afford it.