Football 17/18

TheGayTent

1 hour ago, ThomThomDrum said:

Ha Ha! I find that hilarious :lol: 

He was treated poorly so he has every right to enact his revenge as he sees fit. Im sure no one at Utd gives a flying toss, but it is a nice little "fuck u" none the less...........

Its not. Its pathetic. He turned down a job that could've made him a hero, a big last job, in favour of nipping a few quid from a club worth 3 billion. Drop in the ocean. Small man behaviour.

Lets not forget that he lost 4 nil to MK Dons, played the worst football the club had seen since the 70s, was accused of playing long ball footie by Sam Allerdyce :lol:, lost 10 games in the league, threatened to resign at least once and totally lost the dressing room.

The FA Cup is always great to win but Utd beat Sheffield Utd, Derby, Shrewsbury, West Ham (after a replay), Everton and Palace in extra time. Not a job saver.  

People are just using him now to have a go at Mourinho which I get but outside of the your club/my club slagging type banter, he was simply fucking shite. 

Most outgoing managers are perceived to be treated like shit but they're not charity workers. These guys are on millions a year. Grow a pair. We don't need snowflakes invading footie of all things. 

24 minutes ago, thetime said:

loved LVG myself.

And you slag Mourinhos footie?!

Edited by The Nal

10 minutes ago, The Nal said:

And you slag Mourinhos footie?!

LVG played shit football, but had a bit of charisma about him. Not real difference in the football lvg to Jose, what was served up against Liverpool and City was good football then I would disagree with you.

what gets me though is how Utd fans have ridiculed Jose for 10-15 years for parking the bus, joins united and he’s an amazing visionary of exciting football. 

We have attack minded, exciting, young, energetic footballers and he plays dross. 

Edited by thetime

3 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

the difference is - ultimately - minimal.

LvG's teams had no attack, and Moaniho's teams aren't allowed to attack. 

:P

Utd have nearly scored more so far this season (45) than in all of LVGs last season (49). And LVGs year was a poor year on the quality front in the league. Leicester, Arsenal and Spurs top 3. 

LVG played shit football, but had a bit of charisma about him. Not real difference in the football lvg to Jose, what was served up against Liverpool and City was good football then I would disagree with you.

Yeah yeah the whacky Dutchman. Big difference in footie btw. Time doesn't heal all wounds that quickly for me. 

what gets me though is how Utd fans have ridiculed Jose for 10-15 years for parking the bus, joins united and he’s an amazing visionary of exciting football. 

Fickle footie fans?!

Had this convo 2 years ago, with you and others, after he got the sack at Chelsea and was rumoured for Utd. He plays great footie at times. And awful result grinding ball at times. Just like Ferguson did. Fergies last season was hardly easy on the eye for all 38 games, 1 nils everywhere thanks to RVP, but they won the league by 11 points. 

As discussed earlier, Klopp plays better football but doesn't win anything. Which would fans prefer? 

Edited by The Nal

1 minute ago, The Nal said:

Utd have nearly scored more so far this season (45) than in all of LVGs last season (49). And LVGs year was a poor year on the quality front in the league. Leicester, Arsenal and Spurs top 3. 

I would say It was perhaps right LVG went, but fans hey toxic. What were united fans saying when LVG was in control? We want exciting football, don’t matter about results.

Then we get Jose, bloody garbage. 

9 minutes ago, The Nal said:

As discussed earlier, Klopp plays better football but doesn't win anything. Which would fans prefer? 

But LVG won a trophy, arguably the biggest post fergie and got the sack. Fans wanted exciting football, so arguably the klopp way. 

Match going fans don’t want to watch shit, went to the Southampton game and it was garbage. If anything that was worse than what LVG served up. 

I can understand fans just wanting trophies and tepid affair if they just look at stats and tvvfor 90 minutes.

Edited by thetime

5 minutes ago, thetime said:

But LVG won a trophy, arguably the biggest post fergie and got the sack. Fans wanted exciting football, so arguably the klopp way. 

Match going fans don’t want to watch shit, went to the Southampton game and it was garbage. If anything that was worse than what LVG served up. 

I can understand fans just wanting trophies and tepid affair if they just look at stats and tvvfor 90 minutes.

Liverpool fans seem a LOT happier than Utd fans.

2 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Liverpool fans seem a LOT happier than Utd fans.

They don’t have Jose :lol:

To be honest I think Klopp is coming to the stage where he needs to deliver silverware, gallant losers will only take you so far. 

Of course a big portion of the united fan base expect to win titles, that’s the difference I would suggest.

Edited by thetime

13 minutes ago, thetime said:

You missed the 4 goals in each game against West Ham, Swansea, Everton, Palace, CSKA, Newcastle, Watford, the 3 vs Arsenal etc so. And the longest unbeaten home run in the clubs history. 

The Southampton match was the worst I've seen in a long time yes, but LVG served that up every week. 

What people wanted post LVG was stability and a club challenging again. Which is whats there now. I agree Mourinhos record against the bigger teams is shite however. 

And all this said, watch out for a shitty January game in the pissing rain tonight and a "new manager" result for Stoke. 

Edited by The Nal

2 minutes ago, The Nal said:

You missed the 4 goals in each game against West Ham, Swansea, Everton, Palace, CSKA, Newcastle, Watford

That’s how we differ Nal, you see goals and it’s all exciting stuff. Most of those games were 1-0 until the last 10 minutes. Those games were as bad as the other games, counter attacking football after 80 minutes when the other team put numbers up top and to knackered to get back. 

Just now, thetime said:

That’s how we differ Nal, you see goals and it’s all exciting stuff. Most of those games were 1-0 until the last 10 minutes. Those games were as bad as the other games, counter attacking football after 80 minutes when the other team put numbers up top and to knackered to get back. 

Nah, some of the footie was great and look at the shots, chances created etc stats vs LVGs. Night and day. 

Sorry about the Fail article but have a read of this

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3415466/Manchester-United-s-damning-statistics-numbers-Louis-van-Gaal-s-miserable-season-getting-worse-worse.html

2 hours ago, thetime said:

To be honest I think Klopp is coming to the stage where he needs to deliver silverware, gallant losers will only take you so far.

Same applies to Potch at Spurs. It's all well and good having 'good' seasons but in 30 years time it'll only be trophies that will be remembered by most. 

Problem is, there's 5/6 teams that all need to win trophies to justify themselves - the chances are, 4 of them won't.

9 hours ago, jyoung said:

I saw a clip, I think it was Robertson, chasing down about six City players as they passed the ball backwards. He just did not stop pressing it. Phenomenal determination. 

It was indeed. Started off in our left back position on the half way line and ended up in their box! Fantastic.

10 hours ago, DareToDibble said:

Also worth mentioning that although Salah, Mane and Firmino will get all the plaudits - Robertson and Wijnaldum were fantastic yesterday and Robertson has been very good for weeks now. For £8mil he looks like a bargain.

https://mobile.twitter.com/anfieldonline/status/952877579677126656

Agree about Robertson. Every chance he has a big future.

Was a Great game yesterday.

1 hour ago, mjsell said:

Same applies to Potch at Spurs. It's all well and good having 'good' seasons but in 30 years time it'll only be trophies that will be remembered by most. 

Problem is, there's 5/6 teams that all need to win trophies to justify themselves - the chances are, 4 of them won't.

I would say it applies more to Spurs. They don't have the history of Liverpool and are also paying players below market value. I can't see players accepting less money then they could get elsewhere indefinitely.

10 hours ago, DareToDibble said:

It was indeed. Started off in our left back position on the half way line and ended up in their box! Fantastic.

except of course it's doing stuff like that which gets Moreno in trouble.

If City had been sharper the goalie puts the ball down City's right and they have an easier path to goal.

(if moreno was still playing, chances are the goalie's told to look out for the opportunity, and it definitely happens).

7 hours ago, zahidf said:

If Alexis Sanchez moves to Man United, they’ll be spending £58m a year on wages for just 4 players - Sanchez + Pogba + Lukaku + Zlatan

I think when you look at spending...

Zlatan is rumoured to be leaving this window, also he’s only on a fraction he was last season. 

Rather they pay players, rather than being looted by the glazers.

Edited by thetime

1 hour ago, eFestivals said:

except of course it's doing stuff like that which gets Moreno in trouble.

If City had been sharper the goalie puts the ball down City's right and they have an easier path to goal.

(if moreno was still playing, chances are the goalie's told to look out for the opportunity, and it definitely happens).

By " doing stuff like that " do you mean pressing the ball high up the park ?

Of course it doesn`t work 100% of the time as you say but Klopp will keep going with this " style " of defence.

In this specific case, I didn`t think it was a foul and neither did the linesman who was looking right at it. City shouldn`t

have had the opportunity to be sharper and it could have led to a goal for Liverpool rather than City having an easier path to goal ( as you suggest ) via a non-existent foul ( in my opinion ).

This type of play also gets the crowd up and unsettles defenders. Long may it continue :)

If you watch the clip you`ll hear the fans reaction.

3 minutes ago, Comfy Bean said:

By " doing stuff like that " do you mean pressing the ball high up the park ?

I mean that - with added "abandoning his primary duty" as a defender.

Of course it doesn`t work 100% of the time as you say but Klopp will keep going with this " style " of defence.

Will he? He told Moreno to stop doing it.

it could have led to a goal for Liverpool rather than City

It could have, but it could have also ended up with a goal to City.

And of course it's not (in the normal run of things) the defender's job to get up field to create the chances of a goal.

This type of play also gets the crowd up and unsettles defenders. Long may it continue :)

oh, it was great because City didn't take advantage. :)

But if City had taken advantage what you'd have heard from the crowd was "he's as shit as Moreno".

I'm not having a go at Robinson particularly, I'm just pointing out that doing that sort of thing has ultimately proven to be one of Liverpool's bigger weaknesses - or at least, it has done when that defender has been Moreno.

11 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

I mean that - with added "abandoning his primary duty" as a defender.

And of course it's not (in the normal run of things) the defender's job to get up field to create the chances of a goal.

Fair enough. I disagree.

In his debut ( Robertson ) he created more chances than any other player. I think that is why Liverpool signed him and one of the reasons Klopp is playing him.

As I said, he doesn`t have to stand at left back to defend. He was defending / pressing high up the park.....or abandoning his primary duty as you put it. Perhaps someone would have covered over for him during that passage of play ?

25 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

But if City had taken advantage what you'd have heard from the crowd was "he's as shit as Moreno".

Maybe but I`m not so sure. Some are saying that he made more tackles than anyone else on the pitch and had more interceptions / clearances. Hardly abandoning his... primary duties B)

16 minutes ago, Comfy Bean said:

Fair enough. I disagree.

In his debut ( Robertson ) he created more chances than any other player. I think that is why Liverpool signed him and one of the reasons Klopp is playing him.

As I said, he doesn`t have to stand at left back to defend. He was defending / pressing high up the park.....or abandoning his primary duty as you put it. Perhaps someone would have covered over for him during that passage of play ?

Lots of players have had great games. Flanagan played City off the park a few years ago (when he played left back, when he's a right back) - much more impressive than Robertson managed the other day (that's not saying Robertson was naff, to be clear).

I'm not having a go at Robertson, I'm just pointing out that him hassling other players including the goalie is the sort of action that's tended to cost Liverpool points in recent years. It's very typical Moreno (tho Moreno tends not to get as far forward as that).

10 minutes ago, Comfy Bean said:

Maybe but I`m not so sure. Some are saying that he made more tackles than anyone else on the pitch and had more interceptions / clearances. Hardly abandoning his... primary duties B)

I'm talking about that one particular instance. It left a huge hole that City could have attacked, if the goalie had been sharper to take advantage of that empty space.