Biffy Clyro

Gozpot

Mainly for discussion over the setlist we expect them to play.

Personally im

expecting them to do what Muse did and play a few songs off the latest album but then fill the rest with some of the more Download friendly songs.

If Muse do that a week after Drones came out and as their first UK show after Drones came out I don't see why Biffy wouldn't do the same a year after Ellipsis came out.

Muse were actively pushing Drones as a return to their roots, made a point of playing heavier festivals around it, and had just come off the back of an intimate tour where they dusted off a lot of their older, heavier material. And Drones was probably their heaviest album since 2003.

Biffy Clyro are headlining off the back of their poppiest album. They'll play a standard Biffy set with maybe a couple of token heavier songs chucked in.

Muse also were a huge, headline-sized band back when they were releasing heavier music. They have big hits such as New Born, Plug in Baby, Hysteria and Stockholm Syndrome that would appeal to the Download crowd. Biffy don't have that. Their older, heavier stuff may be closer to what the crowd enjoy musically, but none of them will know the songs so they won't play a lot of them. The singles from Puzzle and Only Revolutions will be what goes down best.

Yeah I think they play a standard set with a couple of oldies chucked in there like Glitter and Trauma and Jaggy Snake. 

1. Wolves of Winter 
2. Living Is a Problem... 
3. Sounds Like Balloons
4. Biblical 
5. 57 
6. Howl
7. In The Name of The Wee Man 
8. Justboy
9. Bubbles
10. Who's Got a Match?
11. Black Chandelier
12. Friends and Enemies 
13. That Golden Rule 
14. Folding Stars 
15. Re-Arrange 
16. Glitter and Trauma 
17. Wave Upon Wave Upon Wave
18. Different People 
19. Mountains 
20. There's No Such Thing As a Jaggy Snake
21. On a Bang
22. Animal Style 
23. Many of Horror 

24. The Captain 
25. Machines
26. Stingin' Belle 

20 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

Yeah I think they play a standard set with a couple of oldies chucked in there like Glitter and Trauma and Jaggy Snake. 

1. Wolves of Winter 
3. Sounds Like Balloons
4. Biblical 
5. 57 
6. Howl
8. Justboy
9. Bubbles
10. Who's Got a Match?
11. Black Chandelier
12. Friends and Enemies 
13. That Golden Rule 
14. Folding Stars 
15. Re-Arrange 
16. Glitter and Trauma 
17. Wave Upon Wave Upon Wave
18. Different People 
19. Mountains 
20. There's No Such Thing As a Jaggy Snake
21. On a Bang
22. Animal Style 
23. Many of Horror 

24. The Captain 
25. Machines
26. Stingin' Belle 

26 songs? Played 21 at Reading this year.

1. Wolves of Winter 
3. Sounds Like Balloons
4. Biblical 
5. 57 
6. Wave Upon Wave Upon Wave
8. Saturday Superhouse
9. Bubbles
10. Black Chandelier
11. That Golden Rule
12. Folding Stars
13. Medicine
14. Glitter and Trauma
15. Howl
16. Mountains
17. There's No Such Thing As A Jaggy Snake
18. On a Bang
19. Many of Horror

20. Animal Style
21. Machines
22. Stingin' Belle

Edited by Gozpot

7 minutes ago, Gozpot said:

1. Wolves of Winter 
3. Sounds Like Balloons
4. Biblical 
5. 57 
6. Wave Upon Wave Upon Wave
8. Saturday Superhouse
9. Bubbles
10. Black Chandelier
11. That Golden Rule
12. Folding Stars
13. Medicine
14. Glitter and Trauma
15. Howl
16. Mountains
17. There's No Such Thing As A Jaggy Snake
18. On a Bang
19. Many of Horror

20. Animal Style
21. Machines
22. Stingin' Belle

YOU LEFT OUT THE CAPTAIN! :( 

12 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

I don't think any of those songs will ever be dropped. 

They've dropped That Golden Rule at times, think they did at NOS this summer, the only OR songs that'll remain in the setlist indefinitely imo are (unfortunately as they are two of my least favourite Biffy songs) Mountains and Many Of Horror.

51 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

They played for 2 hours on this current tour, and I don't see why they couldn't play that Serb length at Download. Plenty of headliners get 2  there.

Close to 1hr 45, I don't think Biffy will get 2hours at all.

37 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

I don't think any of those songs will ever be dropped. 

I think for the set that Folding Stars and Machines should get dropped, Machines is probably my favourite song btw by them. Who's got a match? Would be nice but it's cheesy as it gets and I'd defo out Saturday Superhouse in.

The big difference between Biffy and Muse though is, Biffy never made it to headliner on their heavy stuff and never would have. Muse made it comfortably offurnished of a mix that was both lighter and heavier riffs.

Edited by thewayiam

As others have said, completely different story to Muse. They will throw in a few token heavy songs like Jaggy Snake, but for the most part will be a standard Biffy set. IT certainly won't be songs off the new album and then loads of their heavier back catalogue, anyone expecting that will be disappointed.

Let's keep this thread for when we hav to have the same conversation about Bring Me headlining. 

They are not leaving out The Captain, or any of the other staples of their set. Suggesting Machines and Folding Stars dropped doesn't seem to be too bad a suggestion as they have been off of the setlist at times before. But they are playing the biggies. Which include pretty much all of the songs Gozpot mentioned.

1 hour ago, thewayiam said:

Just heard Re-arrange from Biffy again, I'd listened to it before on the one shot I gave the album and there is no way they can put that in a Download set.

All the new songs sounded considerably heavier live than on record. Except re-arrange, that still sounded wetter than an otters pocket. 

On 12/17/2016 at 11:55 AM, thewayiam said:

Because it is. At least half of the album, maybe 75% isn't right for a Download set.

That's plainly not true. The only songs i think they wouldn't consider playing from Ellipsis at Download are Re-Arrange, Small Wishes and People. That's 3/13, not even 25%.

Personally I think Biffy are an album too late for a Download headline set.  They've produced 4 quite similar albums since their more noisy ones and the latest one is IMO a bit drab and follows the same pattern as other recent ones.

I've seen them quite a few times and this tour wasn't as good as last couple and I have a feeling their popularity is on the way down.  Few dates sold out including Glasgow, which was strange.

People saying they should go back to the first three albums for a DL set are missing the point.  Those albums weren't that popular and most of the DL crowd are unlikely to know them that well.  The later stuff is the songs that have made them popular and that's likely to be the majority of the set. 

I personally don't think they're a great choice of headliner and while I like them, they aren't what I want to see as a DL headliner.  I go to DL to see bands I couldn't see at the mainstream festivals, so for me Biffy are not my cuppa at DL. Sadly, what appers to be the alternatives that night don't float my boat either.

Good luck to them but I was seriously disappointed when they were announced but I'm sure some folks will love them.

6 minutes ago, Red Day said:

Personally I think Biffy are an album too late for a Download headline set.  They've produced 4 quite similar albums since their more noisy ones and the latest one is IMO a bit drab and follows the same pattern as other recent ones.

I've seen them quite a few times and this tour wasn't as good as last couple and I have a feeling their popularity is on the way down.  Few dates sold out including Glasgow, which was strange.

People saying they should go back to the first three albums for a DL set are missing the point.  Those albums weren't that popular and most of the DL crowd are unlikely to know them that well.  The later stuff is the songs that have made them popular and that's likely to be the majority of the set. 

I personally don't think they're a great choice of headliner and while I like them, they aren't what I want to see as a DL headliner.  I go to DL to see bands I couldn't see at the mainstream festivals, so for me Biffy are not my cuppa at DL. Sadly, what appers to be the alternatives that night don't float my boat either.

Good luck to them but I was seriously disappointed when they were announced but I'm sure some folks will love them.

I think that sums it up perfectly. This is true, it wasn't instant but they'd have sold Birmingham out quite quick before but a friend of mine has been bought seating tickets and turned up on the night and was able to swap for Standing as it wasn't sold out. To turn up to that gig and be able to do that on the night is quite a shocker.

I also don't believe that it would have been in Andys top 3 choices at all for headliner, but it was better than A7X that would have looked really weak considering the announce on an unsold tour too. There is a reason all 3 came together and a reason for the loyalty offer.